• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Additional Mathematics ; post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi...

0606_w04_qp_2 > Question 12 EITHER part (ii).
(IGCSE Additional Mathematics > Winter 2004 > Paper 2 > Question 12 EITHER > Part (ii)

Can you please help me solve it?

Reaction score
Hi...

0606_w04_qp_2 > Question 12 EITHER part (ii).
(IGCSE Additional Mathematics > Winter 2004 > Paper 2 > Question 12 EITHER > Part (ii)

Can you please help me solve it?

Sorry for late reply, had my physics exam ;)
Alright then, the particle comes at rest at t=5, so the summary of it's movement is as shown:
diagram.jpg
So the total distance travelled is the distance travelled between t=0 and t=5 (i.e. s5-s0) plus the distance travelled between t=10 and t=5 (s10-s5)
{v=1.4t-0.3t2+c
when t=0, v=0.5
v=1.4(0)-0.3(0)+c=0.5
therefore c=0.5
and v=1.4t-0.3t2+0.5} Though you woulda calculated this in (i)
So as for distance, s= integration of v
=0.7t2-0.1t3+0.5t + c
Since s=0 when t=0, c=0.
So s=0.7t2-0.1t3+0.5t
Now all you have to do is find |s5-s0| + |s10-s5|
=|7.5-0|+|-25-7.5|
=7.5+32.5=40 meters
The alternative way to understand it (instead of s5-s0 + s10-s5) is to think that first it gets to t=5, which is distance of 7.5m, then it goes back to 0 (another distance of 7.5m) and to t=10 (a distance of 25m FROM O)
So the total distance will be 2x7.5 + 25=40 meters.
Hope I helped!

Reaction score
0606/21/M/J/11
9 A coastguard station receives a distress call from a ship which is travelling at 15 km h–1 on a
bearing of 150°. A lifeboat leaves the coastguard station at 15 00 hours; at this time the ship is at a
distance of 30 km on a bearing of 270°. The lifeboat travels in a straight line at constant speed and
reaches the ship at 15 40 hours.
(i) Find the speed of the lifeboat.

i have solved many vector probs...but i m not getting dis question....n the picture given in mark scheme is not understandable...can sumone help

Reaction score
0606/21/M/J/11
9 A coastguard station receives a distress call from a ship which is travelling at 15 km h–1 on a
bearing of 150°. A lifeboat leaves the coastguard station at 15 00 hours; at this time the ship is at a
distance of 30 km on a bearing of 270°. The lifeboat travels in a straight line at constant speed and
reaches the ship at 15 40 hours.
(i) Find the speed of the lifeboat.

i have solved many vector probs...but i m not getting dis question....n the picture given in mark scheme is not understandable...can sumone help
Can you link to the past paper or tell me which paper it is?

Reaction score
THANX...pls have a luk at the markscheme's diagram...i dont understand it...it should have been a totally opposite digram ? :S right?

Reaction score
0606/1/M/J/04 question seven  To a cyclist travelling due south on a straight horizontal road at 7 ms01, the wind appears to be
blowing from the north-east. Given that the wind has a constant speed of 12 ms01, find the direction
from which the wind is blowing.
i have understood upto the point in markscheme where it says 24.4 degree....but i could not understand how it led to the final answer of 020.6 ....

Reaction score
0606/1/M/J/04 question seven  To a cyclist travelling due south on a straight horizontal road at 7 ms01, the wind appears to be
blowing from the north-east. Given that the wind has a constant speed of 12 ms01, find the direction
from which the wind is blowing.
i have understood upto the point in markscheme where it says 24.4 degree....but i could not understand how it led to the final answer of 020.6 ....
Okay
You have to understand and draw your own diagram FIRST thing:
answer.jpg

Reaction score
but dont u think ur wind direction is wrong? it is coming FROM north east...to SOUTH west....so arrow should be pointing downwards...n could u tell me where have u drawn dis image..so i could draw n show wat i meant

Reaction score
but dont u think ur wind direction is wrong? it is coming FROM north east...to SOUTH west....so arrow should be pointing downwards...n could u tell me where have u drawn dis image..so i could draw n show wat i meant
True. The only difference is that the arrow of the blue line is in the opposite direction, otherwise it's still the same.

Reaction score
but why are we finding dat angle u labelled ?.. y not the right one up??? n could u kindly tell me where have u drawn dis .? thx :)

Reaction score
I used photoshop.
The question asks the actual direction of the wind...the wind is the second vector...
Why would you find the one at the top? Pointless.

Reaction score
brother. i have a prob in the first post of dis page... Now all you have to do is find |s5-s0| + |s10-s5|
=|7.5-0|+|-25-7.5|
=7.5+32.5=40 meters how dis is done? i have understood the alternate way... n brother do u estimate in taking values of t....i mean u randomly took t=5s..? y not others

Reaction score
brother. i have a prob in the first post of dis page... Now all you have to do is find |s5-s0| + |s10-s5|
=|7.5-0|+|-25-7.5|
=7.5+32.5=40 meters how dis is done? i have understood the alternate way... n brother do u estimate in taking values of t....i mean u randomly took t=5s..? y not others
No, the first part of the question shows that the particle has instantaneous rest at t=5s, i.e. it turns around. So you have to get the distance between t=0 and t=5, and the distance travelled AFTER it turns around i.e. the distance between t=10 and t=5

Reaction score
oh ..at t=5, speed is 0m/s....so after dat we put values of t and found dat distance is decreasing...that is it is returning to the starting point?...is it not the way to think...correct me if i m wrong..