• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AKU entry test

Reaction score
To those who are appearing in June 2013 for the AKU entry test, how are you guys preparing yourselves? Which books are you using? SAT2, Fsc, sindh board or Alevels' ?

And those who had given the test last year, What is the difficulty level? The sample paper on their website seems quite easy, I don't think the actual test is :cautious:. And are the questions A-level like or FSc? (I hope we don't need to memorize the tiny details like scientists' names and dates :p).

Reaction score
I gave the AKU test last year. Here is my recommendation:
For english section check out the SAT1 book. Read the argumentative essays. Learn how to write them. For MCQs you need an understanding of grammar and there isn't much preparation for that. It's your grasp of the language that will help you answer the mcqs.
As for the science section, just go with your A'levels books. There is alot of FSC stuff in the test but you can clear the test by just reading A'levels stuff as you just need to be above the threshold. But if you have time then check out SAT2 books and the FSC books but this time is difficult to find. There are some entry test books such as the DOGAR MCAT which summarises the whole FSC syllabus, you can read them if you want but they won't build your concepts as they are too concise.

As for MCAT, the test is not as difficult as they portray it for us. Yes, we have to study every minute detail from the FSC books but achieving a good score is not impossible. Just follow the UHS syllabus. Just study the stuff from FSC books that the syllabus mentions. Learning stuff by rote is inevitable. You don't need to learn the scientists' names but you do need to learn alot of minute details such as the half life of Na-24. But if you give one or two months time before the exam, you can easily cover everything. And the questions themselves are not that difficult. The questions in Biology require direct recall and no thinking. But there were alot of tricky questions in Physics and Chemistry. But if your understanding and concepts are good, they'll be a piece of cake.

Reaction score
I think we're at an advantage this year. The AKU test is on 24th of June, which means we almost have a month after our A2 exams to go through the FSc books or the SAT ones (just in case) :)

EDIT: 24th of June 30th of June.

Reaction score
I think we're at an advantage this year. The AKU test is on 24th of June, which means we almost have a month after our A2 exams to go through the FSc books or the SAT ones (just in case) :)

Exactly! And that also means that we will give the test with the knowledge from A2 still fresh in our minds :)

Reaction score
I gave the AKU test last year. Here is my recommendation:
For english section check out the SAT1 book. Read the argumentative essays. Learn how to write them. For MCQs you need an understanding of grammar and there isn't much preparation for that. It's your grasp of the language that will help you answer the mcqs.
As for the science section, just go with your A'levels books. There is alot of FSC stuff in the test but you can clear the test by just reading A'levels stuff as you just need to be above the threshold. But if you have time then check out SAT2 books and the FSC books but this time is difficult to find. There are some entry test books such as the DOGAR MCAT which summarises the whole FSC syllabus, you can read them if you want but they won't build your concepts as they are too concise.

As for MCAT, the test is not as difficult as they portray it for us. Yes, we have to study every minute detail from the FSC books but achieving a good score is not impossible. Just follow the UHS syllabus. Just study the stuff from FSC books that the syllabus mentions. Learning stuff by rote is inevitable. You don't need to learn the scientists' names but you do need to learn alot of minute details such as the half life of Na-24. But if you give one or two months time before the exam, you can easily cover everything. And the questions themselves are not that difficult. The questions in Biology require direct recall and no thinking. But there were alot of tricky questions in Physics and Chemistry. But if your understanding and concepts are good, they'll be a piece of cake.

Thanks for such a thorough and substantial reply :)

Reaction score
Yes. You guys are at an advantage. I hade to pause my A'levels preparation for a week in order to read the SAT2 books and stuff because our AKU exam was on the 8th of April, less than a month before our finals. And just for your information, this extra preparation was useless as I was still not able to answer the fsc questions because the time was too less to build new concepts. :)

Reaction score
how do u know u about the current date of test ? i heard its in april :/

Reaction score
Yes. You guys are at an advantage. I hade to pause my A'levels preparation for a week in order to read the SAT2 books and stuff because our AKU exam was on the 8th of April, less than a month before our finals. And just for your information, this extra preparation was useless as I was still not able to answer the fsc questions because the time was too less to build new concepts. :)

Did you go through the syllabus that they had specified on their website?

Reaction score
Did you go through the syllabus that they had specified on their website?

It's basically the FSC syllabus. AKU has an examining body that provides a similar qualification to that of FSC. And the syllabus posted there is of that. But once again let me remind you that there is not much of an advantage in doing very well in the AKU test. I have seen people with 69% make it to AKU and the ones with 85% in the test getting rejected. So the hard work you'll do covering the whole FSC syllabus should be spent in doing volunteer work that'll help you in the interview.

Reaction score
It's basically the FSC syllabus. AKU has an examining body that provides a similar qualification to that of FSC. And the syllabus posted there is of that. But once again let me remind you that there is not much of an advantage in doing very well in the AKU test. I have seen people with 69% make it to AKU and the ones with 85% in the test getting rejected. So the hard work you'll do covering the whole FSC syllabus should be spent in doing volunteer work that'll help you in the interview.

Ohh, So what was the threshold last year that the students needed to cross in order to clear the test?
(I suppose you are in AKU, right? :) )

Reaction score

So what I get is that we should start preparing for FSC based tests from now ''D

Reaction score
Ohh, So what was the threshold last year that the students needed to cross in order to clear the test?

68% in sciences and 55% in english.

So what I get is that we should start preparing for FSC based tests from now ''D

My advice: No! It'll be useless unless you have good grades in A'levels. You'll have enough time after your finals for the FSC syllabus. But if you have time right now and you want to spend the last two months of your freedom while studying then its your choice. :)

Reaction score
68% in sciences and 55% in english.

My advice: No! It'll be useless unless you have good grades in A'levels. You'll have enough time after your finals for the FSC syllabus. But if you have time right now and you want to spend the last two months of your freedom while studying then its your choice. :)
Thanks man... We wont have the time as some uni`s have entry tests as soon as june and the a level exams continue into june

Reaction score
Thanks man... We wont have the time as some uni`s have entry tests as soon as june and the a level exams continue into june

I'm telling you from experience. AKU is the only medical university with an exam in June. And like I said FSC syllabus isn't a necessity for it.

Reaction score
To those who are appearing in June 2013 for the AKU entry test, how are you guys preparing yourselves? Which books are you using? SAT2, Fsc, sindh board or Alevels' ?

And those who had given the test last year, What is the difficulty level? The sample paper on their website seems quite easy, I don't think the actual test is :cautious:. And are the questions A-level like or FSc? (I hope we don't need to memorize the tiny details like scientists' names and dates :p).
can u post the link where it says that the test would be in june? unfortunately, i cannot find it