• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Alevels english literature

Reaction score
Do you have any resources for english language.. I went all almost all the websites I can think of but did not find anything much

Reaction score
destined007 said:
http://xtremepapers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10421&p=122209#p122209
here

Thanks for the qp but by resources I meant any notes/samples or similar things... :)

Reaction score
Hi. I was never planning on taking English Literature in my alevels, but in the interview the Principal said that I would greatly benefit from this subject, and since I had an A* in English in my Olevels, she requested that I take it. =/ Now I've heard stories about this subject. That it's difficult and what not./
Is it a good subject? The principal also said that it helps in abroad university admissions, is it true? And what other subjects are there which can help in university admissions abroad?
Thanks.

Reaction score
A* in O levels doesn't guarantee an A in english literature at A level.You would benefit from the subject of course, extra knowledge never goes amiss.It totally depends on what you want to do in future.If you want to go for medical or engineering i would suggest that you don't take it.A levels is hard enough as it is.It is a double credit subject so it does have value.A friend of mine was brilliant at english and the teachers expected a distinction from her in english literate but she ended up with a C!

Reaction score
Basically, English Literature is a subject that will provide diversity to your other subjects and make your subject combination, as a whole, more attractive to universities. If you don't like this subject, you may switch to subjects like World History, Sociology, Psychology or AICT for such a diversity. English Literature is a subject where you have to read and learn a lot. I have seen students with a B in English Language and an A* in literature, albeit in O'levels. So you may do well at A'levels literature or you may not do well at it, since, it doesn't depends on your english language grade. If you are interested in it, and you work hard for it you may get a good enough grade.

Reaction score
Just be confident about it. If you think it's a burden for you it'll just get heavier for you to handle. But if you take it as fun and enjoy reading the plays and novels, you can make it a piece of cake for you.

Reaction score
princesszahra said:
Skywalker said:
Mar gaye.
good luck!

Hey, do you take English literature? I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about this subject. How difficult it is, how much attention it will require? It's not that my English is poor, I'm actually very fond of the English language and I like to write and read. It's just that I have other subjects which are equally, or maybe more, demanding. I'm also taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry, AICT and am considering one more extra subject.

Reaction score
English literature is not exactly difficult, but like all other subjects at A level its unpredictable.People with B or even C at o level can get an A in it and vice versa.You do need to give it time though, go through more books than the ones required for the syllabus,basically surf the Internet a lot on the authors their works to get background knowledge.English language is a piece of cake(compared to literature) at o level.I'm not trying to scare you but thats the way it is.The four subjects you have mentioned do not require as much depth as English,mostly they just need practice and clear concepts.I would suggest that you thoroughly do past year questions and read books on critical analysis on the various works.Are you planning on applying to universities abroad or in Pakistan?And what do you plan on doing in future?(Make a very careful decision regarding your subjects.It depends on your choice of degree and universities as much as your interest maybe even more).

Reaction score
I plan on going abroad to either Canada, US, Uk or Singapore. I want to become an Engineer and will most likely go into Chemical Engineering.
Can you also give me advice on other subjects? I need to choose one more subject and I'm looking for a subject which is slightly less demanding. I was considering GP before, however I've learned that it has only half credit. But still, do universities abroad consider GP? Any other subjects you can suggest? What about Economics or Business studies? (I took business and commerce in my olevels)
Thanks.

Reaction score
Yeah economics is good though I'd suggest you not to take business studies(because i read on the guardian's website that its sort of considered as a not-so-good subject by some universities{http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/aug/20/a-level-subjects-blacklist-claim}) and its better if you don't take GP either.If you want to do engineering how about taking up further maths?Its quite demanding and rather tough so if you don't like normal maths then you can't do it.However, the universities abroad value it a lot so if you like maths and want to do engineering then you should consider taking it.Its highly recommended.As far as English literature goes just take it for a few months, if you like it and think you can do it without effecting your other subjects then continue with it.If not, you can always drop it.And do not take more than 5 subjects at AS since it may effect your grades.Another subject that you may consider taking is thinking skills.However I do not know if its half credit or single credit, you may want to ask your school's career advisor about it.Further maths and English literature are double credit subjects.