• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Applying to Singapore?

Reaction score
Hello.

I am a non-Singaporean Citizen interested in applying to Singapore, thinking of majoring the areas related with international relations, or politics.

I currently have 2 as (aict, maths) and 1 b (english) for my AS Level, and will be taking the A Level (cie) in the upcoming oct/nov session for History, English (AS retake + A Level), Mathematics, and AICT (predicted grades all As)

What universities can I apply if I get 4 As? I heard the competition is quite high there....
Also, is it a true fact that NUS (maybe other unis) set quota for each nationalities?

Reaction score
Hello.

I am a non-Singaporean Citizen interested in applying to Singapore, thinking of majoring the areas related with international relations, or politics.

I currently have 2 as (aict, maths) and 1 b (english) for my AS Level, and will be taking the A Level (cie) in the upcoming oct/nov session for History, English (AS retake + A Level), Mathematics, and AICT (predicted grades all As)

What universities can I apply if I get 4 As? I heard the competition is quite high there....
Also, is it a true fact that NUS (maybe other unis) set quota for each nationalities?

You can try NUS and Nanyang Tech for the majors you're looking for. I don't know about Nanyang, but the competition in NUS is immense, even if you have As in all subjects. Plus, if you're retaking, your chances are reduced as you have to inform them.
If you're applying to NUS, you'll have to give the SAT and 3 Subject Tests.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I read in the NUS website that if I give the A Level scores, the SAT scores are not required.... but does giving SAT scores give advantages?

I currently have about 2020 in SAT 1, but have never taken SAT 2 subjects...

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I read in the NUS website that if I give the A Level scores, the SAT scores are not required.... but does giving SAT scores give advantages?

I currently have about 2020 in SAT 1, but have never taken SAT 2 subjects...

No, that's incorrect, NUS requires SAT. If you get your A level results before the application closing date, then it is not required. However, if the results are declared after the application closing date, then you have to give the SAT and Subject Tests. Read here: http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/international/admissionreq/alevel.html

Try to increase your SAT score by retaking it. People who apply to NUS usually have a 2100+.

Reaction score
DarkEclipse

My A Level results will be out before the closing date... so I would probably not need SATs.

But do you think it will give me an advantage if I give my SAT score with my actual A Level results?

And yes, I'm retaking the SATs in the upcoming November and January (only if I don't get the grades)

Reaction score
DarkEclipse

My A Level results will be out before the closing date... so I would probably not need SATs.

But do you think it will give me an advantage if I give my SAT score with my actual A Level results?

And yes, I'm retaking the SATs in the upcoming November and January (only if I don't get the grades)

You're aware the closing date is 1 March, right?
As to whether there is an advantage or not, I honestly don't know. I'm not on the admissions committee of NUS. Just email their admissions department with your list of queries.

Reaction score
hey DarkEclipse which universities r u applying for?
Lots of them. I'm applying to universities in 6 countries.
In US:
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Northeastern University
University of Southern California
University of Maryland: Baltimore County
Purdue University
Princeton University
Ohio State University: Columbus Campus
California Institute of Technology
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
University of South Carolina: Columbia
University of Minnesota: Twin Cities
North Carolina State University
University of Minnesota: Duluth
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of California: Davis
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of California: Irvine
Texas A&M University

In the UK:
University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh

In Australia (I'm applying there because I used to live there, so I pretty much know what to do):
University of New South Wales
University of Queensland

In Canada:
University of Toronto

Reaction score
In US:
Northeastern University
Purdue University
Princeton University
Texas A&M University

In the UK:
University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh

In Australia (I'm applying there because I used to live there, so I pretty much know what to do):
University of Queensland

In Canada:
University of Toronto
you applied to all those??
When are ur A levels?

Reaction score
In US:
Northeastern University
Purdue University
Princeton University
Texas A&M University

In the UK:
University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh

University of Queensland

In Canada:
University of Toronto
so many? :eek:
how will you manage all the fees and the applications for each and every one?

Reaction score
so many? :eek:
how will you manage all the fees and the applications for each and every one?
Already handled it. I might cut down a few when I start applying (maybe 5 or 6 from the US and Edinburgh from the UK). I already prepared most of the applications in advance, and I already set aside the money needed for them (from volunteering and paid internships :D).

Reaction score
Already handled it. I might cut down a few when I start applying (maybe 5 or 6 from the US and Edinburgh from the UK). I already prepared most of the applications in advance, and I already set aside the money needed for them (from volunteering and paid internships :D).
(y)

Reaction score
#DARK ECLIPSE can you please help me with my results and universities?I am now in A Level and I will be sitting for my A (A2) Level Examination in this coming May June 2015. I have 1A*(Physics),2As(Chemistry,additional Math),3B(Biology,Mathe D,Benglai) and 1C (English Language) in my O LEVEL. And I got 2As (Mathematics,Chemistry) and 1B (Physics) in my AS LEVEL.My expected results for A Level is 3As. I want to study Engineering,which country and universities do you prefer according to my results?Can you please suggest me some of the universities which requires a moderate or low tuition fees and their engineering are good?
TIA

Reaction score
In US:
Northeastern University
Purdue University
Princeton University
Texas A&M University

In the UK:
University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh

University of Queensland

In Canada:
University of Toronto

#DARK ECLIPSE can you please help me with my results and universities?I am now in A Level and I will be sitting for my A (A2) Level Examination in this coming May June 2015. I have 1A*(Physics),2As(Chemistry,additional Math),3B(Biology,Mathe D,Bengali) and 1C (English Language) in my O LEVEL. And I got 2As (Mathematics,Chemistry) and 1B (Physics) in my AS LEVEL.My expected results for A Level is 3As. I want to study Engineering,which country and universities do you prefer according to my results?Can you please suggest me some of the universities which requires a moderate or low tuition fees and their engineering are good?
TIA

Last edited:
Reaction score
#DARK ECLIPSE can you please help me with my results and universities?I am now in A Level and I will be sitting for my A (A2) Level Examination in this coming May June 2015. I have 1A*(Physics),2As(Chemistry,additional Math),3B(Biology,Mathe D,Bengali) and 1C (English Language) in my O LEVEL. And I got 2As (Mathematics,Chemistry) and 1B (Physics) in my AS LEVEL.My expected results for A Level is 3As. I want to study Engineering,which country and universities do you prefer according to my results?Can you please suggest me some of the universities which requires a moderate or low tuition fees and their engineering are good?
TIA
That would depend on what you mean by "moderate or low". Your 'C' in English will put you at a disadvantage. Your O levels are okayish. Your AS Level results are good. If you can get three As in A2, that would be good. You can try for Hong Kong, particularly the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and the Hong Kong University. These are highly ranked internationally, and are much more affordable than most universities (average cost of attendance is around $21000-$29000). You'll need to appear for the IELTS or the TOEFL.