• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Are tutors necessary?

Reaction score
Salam everyone,

I have recently started studying for O levels, and thanks to this forum, have figured out how to go about it.

However, I have noticed a trend in my school, that most high scorers have tutors, esp for physics, chemistry, maths. So I have some questions:

1.Does getting tutors for these subjects offer a significant advantage?
2.Can I pick and choose the subjects I need tutors in (eg, I might feel week in Maths so only go for a tutor in Maths)?
3.If I need a tutor, how do I find a good and reasonably affordable one? I'm sure they all advertise themselves in a good way, so how can I be more discerning?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Salam everyone,

I have recently started studying for O levels, and thanks to this forum, have figured out how to go about it.

However, I have noticed a trend in my school, that most high scorers have tutors, esp for physics, chemistry, maths. So I have some questions:

2.Can I pick and choose the subjects I need tutors in (eg, I might feel week in Maths so only go for a tutor in Maths)?
3.If I need a tutor, how do I find a good and reasonably affordable one? I'm sure they all advertise themselves in a good way, so how can I be more discerning?

Thank you!
Hi once again!
How is it going? Enjoying the roller coaster ride? 😁
O levels is a game of myths and perspectives!
As you progress you will hear names like "Iftikhar- ul-Haq notes are a lifesaver, Muzamil's notes are a lifesaver, etc." Do not get me wrong, I am not against anything or anyone.
Enough of a prompt, I tend to start writing a narrative when answering questions to some of the "starters" in o levels. 😶

1. Getting tutors depends on you and your need. At the end of the day, it is you who has to carry your bag and no one else shall do it. Whether you will receive an advantage and will that be advantage "significant" totally depends on the teacher and you. When deciding on a tutor or when deciding on the need for a tutor, consider for what reason you require the tutor. Either it is for understanding concepts, book-based learning, or is it the past papers that trouble you. Once you have figured that out, you shall be good to decide on a tutor.
Coming to "significant advantage", it depends on certain factors;
. Teacher's attitude/approach towards subjects.
. Your attitude and seriousness.
. Your learning abilities/is the way of explanation of the concerned teacher making sense to you?

A tip here, look for online resources before going to tutors, check out NOON ACADEMY if that works for you. I shall not comment on the quality or the learning from teachers, and advice. Since you have started, you can always follow a trial and error approach for now.
Check out the youtube channel called "O level Mathematics", this man offers explained solutions to past paper questions year-wise all variants. Check out the channel.
CAUTION:
Online videos shall be many, do not get confused. Have the ability to choose what works for you.

2. Of course you can, there are teachers who offer you the liberty to choose what subjects you need a tutor for, there is no certain package as of that you are required to study all the subjects.

3. Haha, nice to know that you are aware of the "marketing arts", (no offense to anyone reading this)
As I mentioned above that it is you who has to decide what works for you.
. I have never gone for tutors, always preferred my school teachers, Alhamdullilah no regrets on that.

I do not know if you or anyone else reading this message shall agree but nonetheless here is my take on tutors:
DISCLAIMER: PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE ONLY, NO COMPULSION!
It is somewhat human nature I believe that one doctor does not prefer the other, similarly one teacher does not prefer the other. Every teacher has his/her own teaching and explanation methodology. I believe that if the teaching style of the tutor differs from that of our tutor, it shall be no surprise that you might feel like an unknown traveler gave two diverging roads to walk on.

I do not discourage tutors or anything like that. It is just a recommendation and nothing else.

Best of luck, P.s. I just searched up your name here to ask that how was o levels going and met with this post, Chalo that's good.

Reaction score
Salam everyone,

Thank you!

Found this, might be of use to you.

Reaction score
No. From my experience I don't think so.I have had a tutor and he was of no use what so ever. You have to do everything by yourself and especially at this time tutors seem to view students in the ' old enough to do by yourself' phase.Although I do see in accordance to your second question that the may be benificial in math.

Yes, there are tutors who let you pick and choose and cater to your needs.

Ask people and use social media platforms.Many tutors let you take a practice round before actually signing up just to let you know and understand thier way of teaching.

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies guys! Thank you again, JL125! You've been a great help for figuring things out and dealing with a lot of unknowns for me.

I will check out the youtube channels and the website.

Reaction score
um guys. i need to find tutors or acadmies for pakistan studies, islamiat, urdu 2nd language and english language. any advices or suggestions. im hoping to give paper in june 2022. please help