• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry Doubts

Reaction score
Can you help me out with this question plllzzz!!!!
The compound known as ‘gamma-linolenic acid’ is found in significant amounts in the seeds of
the Evening Primrose plant. There is evidence that the compound may help patients with
diabetes.
CH3(CH2)4CH=CHCH2CH=CHCH2CH=CH(CH2)4CO2H
gamma-linolenic acid
How many cis-trans isomers does gamma-linolenic acid have?
A 3 B 6 C 8 D 1

Reaction score
The answer is 8...........
In order to identify the no of cistrans isomers u need to first identify the stereocentres.If a compound has a C-C double bond and each of the C in the double bond is bonded to seperate groups then the compound has a stereocentre.In the above case there are 3 such centres.The total number of cistrans isomers is given by the formula 2^n so 2^3=8. There you go......;)

Reaction score
please tell me why is the answer A and not B?

Attachments

• chem question.png
    chem question.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
.8 The equation below represents the combination of gaseous atoms of non-metal X and of hydrogen to form gaseous X2H6 molecules.
2X(g) + 6H(g) -----> X2H6(g) ^H = –2775 kJ mol

The bond energy of an X–H bond is 395 kJ mol
What is the bond energy of an X–X bond?
A – 405.0 kJ mol

B – 202.5 kJ mol

C +202.5 kJ mol

D +405.0 kJ mol

how do we get D as the answer..please explain!!!!

Reaction score
X2H6 has a one X-X bond and 6 X-H bonds.The eqn given above is thatenthalpy change of formation meaning all these bonds were formed.......The energy released during bond formation is equal in magnitude but with a negative sign to the bond energy(coz its exothermic).........So we have 2775 = 6 * 395 +x .................Answer is 405

Reaction score
X2H6 has a one X-X bond and 6 X-H bonds.The eqn given above is thatenthalpy change of formation meaning all these bonds were formed.......The energy released during bond formation is equal in magnitude but with a negative sign to the bond energy(coz its exothermic).........So we have 2775 = 6 * 395 +x .................Answer is 405
thanks a lot! please tell me this one also..

24 Compound X on reaction with hot concentrated sulphuric acid gave a mixture of three alkenes.
What could X be?
A butan-2-ol
B propan-2-ol
C 2-methylbutan-2-ol
D 2-methylpropan-2-ol

hows the answer A?

Reaction score
thanks a lot! please tell me this one also..

24 Compound X on reaction with hot concentrated sulphuric acid gave a mixture of three alkenes.
What could X be?
A butan-2-ol
B propan-2-ol
C 2-methylbutan-2-ol
D 2-methylpropan-2-ol

hows the answer A?

A substitution reaction occurs.......Butan-2-ol has the formula.CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3.....Now the rules for substituton says a water molecle is eliminated with OH from the carbon containing hydroxy group and the H from one of the neighbouring carbon atoms.......As you can see that there are two carbon atoms neighbouring the (OH) carbon......So two different products but-1-ene and but-2-ene are formed....but2-ene has two isomers (cis and trans but-2-ene) thus giving a total of 3 isomers i.e but-1-ene, cis but-2-ene and trans but-2-ene.......Thus ans is A.

Reaction score
this one also please..
the answer is B
In A and D there is onlo one alkene possible as there is only one C atom neighbouring the (OH) wala carbon
In B there are 4 possible (cis and trans pent-3-ene and cis and trans pent-2-ene)
In C there are 3 possible (cis and trans 3-methyl but-2-ene and 2-ethyl but-1-ene)

Reaction score
The answer is 8...........
In order to identify the no of cistrans isomers u need to first identify the stereocentres.If a compound has a C-C double bond and each of the C in the double bond is bonded to seperate groups then the compound has a stereocentre.In the above case there are 3 such centres.The total number of cistrans isomers is given by the formula 2^n so 2^3=8. There you go......;)
Thank youu sooo much :D

Reaction score
25 Which reaction would not give propene as one product?
A adding an excess of concentrated sulfuric acid to propan-1-ol
B adding warm aqueous sodium hydroxide to 2-bromopropane
C adding warm ethanolic sodium hydroxide to 1-bromopropane
D passing propan-2-ol vapour over heated aluminium oxide
why is the answer B???

Reaction score
29 2-Methylbuta-1,3-diene, CH2=C(CH3)–CH=CH2, is used as a monomer in the manufacture of
synthetic rubbers.
Which compound would not produce this monomer on treatment with concentrated sulfuric acid
at 170°C?
A (CH3)2C(OH)CH(OH)CH3
B HOCH2CH(CH3)CH2CH2OH
C HOCH2CH(CH3)CH(OH)CH3
D HOCH2C(CH3)(OH)CH2CH
gosh i'm soo confused :s

Reaction score
26 Glycol, used in anti-freeze, has the formula HOCH2CH2OH. It can be oxidised to give a number of
products.
What is the molecular formula of an oxidation product of glycol that will not react with sodium?
A C2H2O2 B C2H2O3 C C2H2O4 D C2H4O

Reaction score
The question is in May/June 2003 Q2. Please I asked many people but they didnt know the answer. Question is attached

Attachments

• Q2.jpg
    Q2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 42
Reaction score
Hey if u are talking about this qst.....
qst.png

B and D cant be cuz the oxidation state of S in both the first and second reaction is the same.
C cant be because SO3^-2 has gained an H+ thus meaning it has gained a proton to become HSO3^- showing that it is acting as a base cuz bases are proton acceptors.
A is the answer cuz HSO3 loses a H+ ion to form SO2 thus it is acting as a acid as they are proton donors.

Attachments

• qst.png
    qst.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Can you help me out with this question plllzzz!!!!
The compound known as ‘gamma-linolenic acid’ is found in significant amounts in the seeds of
the Evening Primrose plant. There is evidence that the compound may help patients with
diabetes.
CH3(CH2)4CH=CHCH2CH=CHCH2CH=CH(CH2)4CO2H
gamma-linolenic acid
How many cis-trans isomers does gamma-linolenic acid have?
A 3 B 6 C 8 D 1

Sorry for late reply.. but answer is C
Number of Cis Trans isomers is calculated with formula 2 ^ (number of double bonds present in compound)
3 in this case .. so 2^3 = 8

TSZ

Reaction score
Hey, thnx for starting this separate thread for AS.....i have some questions
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s10_qp_11.pdf
Q.35, why can't the ans be carbon as well....if carbon monoxide is formed, then it will also undergo same reaction....right?
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w09_qp_11.pdf
In this I want to know how to do Q. 21 and 31
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...d AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w08_qp_1.pdf
Q.38
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...d AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s08_qp_1.pdf
In Q.29, why is C not an acid?