• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 6 tips ^_^

Reaction score
Hi ^_^....so i am not active on this awesome forum..at all T^T
anyway..so i thought i help out a lil
this isn't actually written by me i found it on a yahoo answers and i thought it summed everything that could help us in paper 6..so i take no credit for anything..so here it goes
-Drawing: you will be asked to draw diagrams of fruits, insects..etc. in the exam. Make sure it's in pencil, drawn to the correct size, has definite outlines (no 'sketchy' lines), no shading, no arrow heads when labelling and make sure lines point exactly at the labelled part.

-Comparisons: Make sure the points you use to compare diagrams are visible in the diagrams. Use labels on the diagrams as your guide. And don't compare sizes unless you're given a scale. You can compare numbers shape and proportional sizes.

-Designing an experiment:
*Find the variable which is to be changed (from the question) and mention how you are going to change it (ex: to change temperature, use thermometer-controlled water bath at temperatures 10 to 50 degree Celsius).
*List all variables that you have to keep constant throughout the experiment (ex: room temperature, volume of water, insect species). Make sure there's only one variable for the investigation.
*Mention how long your experiment will last.
*Say how you will measure experiments' results (ex: if you're examining presence of starch, say that the food sample which turns the iodine solution a deeper blue contains more starch)
*Finally: say 'repeat experiment to get more reliable results and minimise error. It's guaranteed to gain you marks.
*If you can, set a control for your experiment. (ex: use boiled enzyme in an experiment to test for enzyme activity)

-Drawing a graph: take care of labels of axes, units, scale, using 'cuts' if needed. Always join points using a ruler unless asked to do otherwise (ex: line of best fit)

-Remember the rule: magnification: drawing/real

-Make sure you know how to test for the presence of water, oxygen, carbon dioxide, starch, reducing sugar, proteins, fats, acid and alkali.

-Look at the experiments in the past papers and make sure you understand them well, as this will help you a lot.

Finally, try answering a couple of exams from the past papers. They're sure to give you a good idea of what to expect tomorrow, and will certainly boost your confidence :).
Here's a link to the Biology past papers: http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/index.ph
Just click on 'Cambridge IGCSE' and then choose 'Biology'.

Well..guess that's all. You're now good to go! :)
Best of luck! :)

Guys if u can add to this or correct anything cuz this is pretty much wat our teacher told me as well :]... :pardon:

Reaction score
to find wether oxygen is present put that particulargas in a test tube. light a wooden splint or a taper and glow it. Dip the wooden splint or taper into the test tube and it will re-ignite due to the rich oxygen if present.

if it does not re-ignite that means no rich oxygen is present in that gas.and if the wooden splint stops glowing that show carbondioxide is present in that particular gas.

Reaction score
and dont forget its not lighted splinter , it is glowing splinter
the difference is that the lighted splinted already got fire burning while glowing splinter the is no fire but it is red hot and ready to burn :D

hope u got it :D

Reaction score
use anhydrous copper sulphate and if water is present it changes from white to blue. (remember to use anhydrous(no water))
or
use cobalt chloride and if water is present it changes from blue to pink. (opposite of the previous one)

hope it helped :D

Reaction score
!!!!!
did u know the second one
and did ****** say anhydrous ??

remember :D

Reaction score
Great guide :)

I think another important thing to remember is the characteristics of different Phyla and Classes, mainly Arthropods, although I have seen Annelids, Nematodes and Molluscs come up too.

Reaction score
yeah :)
i think i posted some of my advice in a thread ??

ill find it and post it here again :D

Reaction score
i found it :)

biology paper 6 tips :D
in paper 6 u dont need to study alot compared to paper 3 :)
i suggest u to know the drawing and identify most diagram and labeling (eg. xylem, pholum, blood vessel, and leg of insect)
the most hardest diagram is about the vertibrate for me (eg, insecta, myriapod, ..... )
u should also know the test for starch, fat, protein, reducing sugar !!!!! (if u need them post it here)
magnification formula : magnification=image/actual.

every thing else is about ur concept of the course :)
and dont forget to learn about the effect, use, and where its produce of auxin :p

hope that helped :D

Reaction score
I didn't know Auxin was included in p6 :O

What type of questions will they ask?

Auxin is the plant hormone which is more concentrated in the darker side, and causes the rapid growth of cells, thus causing the plant of bend towards the light. It's used in selective weedkillers as it makes them grow rapidly and die, leaving more space and nutrients for the grass etc. Hmm, the production of auxin, how do you mean?

And I just did a past paper which required you to analyse tropisms, ie, Shoot -> Positive phototropism, negative geotropism. Root -> Positive geotropism, positive hydrotropism.

Reaction score
ali123456789 said:
first time in life u gave right tips:p

i think its the first time u saw right tips :D

xIshtar said:
I didn't know Auxin was included in p6 :O

What type of questions will they ask?

Auxin is the plant hormone which is more concentrated in the darker side, and causes the rapid growth of cells, thus causing the plant of bend towards the light. It's used in selective weedkillers as it makes them grow rapidly and die, leaving more space and nutrients for the grass etc. Hmm, the production of auxin, how do you mean?

And I just did a past paper which required you to analyse tropisms, ie, Shoot -> Positive phototropism, negative geotropism. Root -> Positive geotropism, positive hydrotropism.

the question that came in 1990's (do the old past paper because it might come like physic paper 1)
auxin is produced at the tip of the shoot and it is killed by light, when the shoot grow the one side of the shoot have contact with light
so the auxin is move or kill to the other side with no light, the side with light dont have auxin so grow more slowly but the side which
have auxin grow faster in a result the shoot bend toward the light .
in root it is the opposite, auxin slow down growth rate of the root.

hope u got it :D

Reaction score
ali123456789 said:
hao chen learn from xishtar he knows better than you !!! !!!! ....

hw did u know??
and u all learn from each other in XPF :D