• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

C3 Edexcel jan 2013

Reaction score
How did people feel about the exam? Thought it was a tough standard for edexcel, kinda expecting low grade boundaries, 8b was the only one I would say was a mean question to ask in the time limit and space providied, I would have got it in the end, but didn't have time, only other question I didn't get full marks was the trig exact value, I had the answer 1+ 1/root2 but I forgot to give it all in the same line just left it seperately because of time pressure. Just need to verify my other solutions in the modelled mark scheme, apart from maybe accuracy or sign errors I think I got all of them. One more question I thought may have been tough for many was the range question, I managed that one.

Thoughts?

How much UMS would 64/75 be? In your opinions?

Reaction score
Definitely edexxels tough standard paper; Yeah 8b I had to to do 3 times managed it in the end ( I think),

Yeah for the range; I put down 0<h(x)< or = 5^0.5 / 5 .

Reaction score
I think it was harder than the older papers but I could have done better if I was faster .
I got the idea for 8b when the invigilator was taking my paper....I did another silly mistake probably with 3 marks in values of Cos(x-0.927) as I equated it with -0.1 not -1

Reaction score
wtf, what range question? where was this, how many marks was it worth? think i might have missed this one...

Reaction score
question 7 we were given h(x) as a partial fraction and you had to break it down to a simpler fraction, then we were told to differentiate it, then to find the range of h(x), by using the differentiation to determine the maximum, working with the domain etc

Reaction score
i cannot remember that part of the question dude, what answer did you get, how many marks was the range bit for?

Reaction score
how was your m2?
If I lose about 15-20 marks in M2 what percentage will that be?

Reaction score
oh, i think i know which one you mean now... the one with the rcos(x-a) in it?
No that was question 4, if i recall correctly where you were told to find the maximum of the rcos graph, i got this wrong, as i was never told how to find it with the grpah in the denominator, I do know though, generally gay exam, coudn't show my true potential on other sections. Oh well.

The question I'm talking about is when we were given a function, then by making common denominators etc you simplify the function, they had the answer so you just had to prove it, this was worth 4 marks, then we had to differentiate this function using quotient rule, this was worth 3 marks if i remember , then we were told to find the range of the function h(x) , there was a picture of it, it didnt go below the x axis, x>=0 and it had a maximum point. we had to work out this point and then say the graph was greater and equal to zero but less than and equal to this maximum, I say its >= and <= because i remember checking the domain and it stated x>=0 therefore these values have to be included on the range.

this last part was 4 or 5 marks I cant remember

Reaction score
oh, i think i know which one you mean now... the one with the rcos(x-a) in it?
I'm talking about that one
He is talking about the range question of h(x) (that question had a graph and your required to simplify it first to simplest form Which was (10-2x)/(x+5)^2 as I remember)

Reaction score
Sad my life is! I was so happy now i realised lost about 15 marks! Im scared to death about c4!

Reaction score
I was so confident going into this exam. I did all the past papers and the lowest I got was 94%.
Everything was great until question 7, when I didn't know how to find the range. Ugh. Apparantly all I had to do was make the differential = 0

Looking at this page I might have read 7b wrong. I found the inverse, not the differential.

8b was also difficult. I thought maybe it had something to do with 0.25 = 0.5^2, but in the time given I couldn't figure it out.

I also remembered a stupid mistake I made. When finding the max value of P(θ) I made the cos(θ+...) = 0, not -1.

I was aiming for an A*, but probably won't even get an A. I'm almost definitely going to re-take C3.