• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Can yoh help me with this chemistry problem.

Reaction score
Can you explain me ciii iv and d

Attachments

• 160439037403072981189848978543.jpg
    160439037403072981189848978543.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Can you explain me ciii iv and d
The sodium sulphate affects sulphate concentration, but the main redox reactions in your setup do NOT involve any sulfate (only spectator ions) and hence they won't affect your cell potential for the iron(II) and iron(III) system.

On the right side of the diagram, you'd realise that silver sulfate precipitates out as solid, so the more sulfate from the sodium sulfate addition, then more silver(I) sulfate precipitates out. So your Ag+ plus electrons --> Ag would have lesser [Ag+], so your Ered (the silver I and silver) would become less positive, as that EQUILIBRIUM will have to shift to the left to counteract the decrease in [Ag+] (Le Chatelier idea, IGCSE/GCSE/O Level and revisited in AS).

less positive is the same as more negative.

Check out my topical playlists on A2 electrochemistry where I think out loud through problems. Do browse for other topical playlists and full paper tutorials as well. Subscribe and share with friends, chat groups, juniors/seniors and anyone else you think the channel can benefit. Cheers.