• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Test of Ions

Reaction score
Chemistry | Test of ions
So, on Wednesday we will have Chemistry paper 6. Every year there are test of ions based questions. Here is a list compiled by me on test of ions. Hope it helps!

Please tell me if there is any mistake in the list and I'll make changes A.S.A.P

Official anion/cations and gases test by Cambridge.
Chemistry.jpg

Attachments

• Test of ions.pdf
    182 KB · Views: 219
Reaction score
Some general ideas for Paper 6.
  1. You should know the basic lab apparatus.
  2. You should know how to read from the burette/pippette/measuring cylinder images given
  3. You should know to draw a graph
  4. You should know the identification of ions (test to check the presense of iron(ii) etc)
  5. You should know Titration
  6. You should know Chomatography
  7. You should know Crystallization
  8. You should know difference between distillation and fractional distillation
  9. You should know the basic filtration methods
  10. You should know effect of heat and concentration on reaction
If anyone has any more points, feel free to add to the list
  • ALWAYS has salt or solution identification using cation and anion test.
  • Expect graphs, not just normal ones, but ones where you have to draw TWO straight lines and intersect them to find the volume required for the reaction, sigmoid graphs are rare, but they're purely application questions, so they may come!
  • expect improvements in apparatuses or experimental methods (repeating, using more accurate apparatuses like pippette instead of measuring cylinder)
  • planning experiments for chromatography (dyes in bank notes), enthalpy experiment to find out which hydrocarbon gives of more energy when burnt, experiments to obtain metals from a given sample of ore IN THE LAB
  • distinguishing substances by carrying out tests- you need to know how that's done.
Just thought I'd add.
Solubility ;) Identification of gasses as well.
EDIT: Removed graphing, it's already there.

Reaction score
Yes! Will do
Good luck preparing for Chem. Paper 6 is usually easy.
60 marks get converted to 20%; so you get 9 marks wrong in the paper means you only get 3 marks wrong overall.
51/60 TO 17/20
Thankyou so much! I would love to read ur tips before p3, that's the main ppr :)

Reaction score
You can ask me for help in the parts you get stuck! I'll be more than glad to help you out :)

That'd be great man, but expect a lot of questions .. mainly before paper 3 !
Making this thread a favorite so I could come back to it later x)

Reaction score
How do u remember the linkages in Org. ?
I always get stuck! I guess my base aint strong in chemi :(
You're good at Biology. I mix up Chem with Bio to remember the Linkages.
For example, Protein is the only one between the 3 to have extra 'N' (Nitrogen) in it.
Carbon Hydrogen Oxygen and Nitrogen

So CHON
I see the diagram and if it has CHON - It is a amide linkage (Amide as in Amino (protein)

I hope you understood what I meant :p

Reaction score
You're good at Biology. I mix up Chem with Bio to remember the Linkages.
For example, Protein is the only one between the 3 to have extra 'N' (Nitrogen) in it.
Carbon Hydrogen Oxygen and Nitrogen

So CHON
I see the diagram and if it has CHON - It is a amide linkage (Amide as in Amino (protein)

I hope you understood what I meant :p
Wow u're awesome :) :D ty! <3

lol

Reaction score
how do we know whether tovuse simple or fractional distillstions if we have two liquids like a mixture of water and aqueous magnesium sulfate?

Reaction score