• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computer Science: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Ok so the first question, Why is it that a byte can hold 256 charaters but stores 255 values? It may be simple but I can't seem to find the logic!
Help please?

Reaction score
A byte (8 bits) can store 256 unique combinations of binary digits which means it can store 256 different characters.the minimum value a byte can have is 0
(where each of the 8 bits has a value of zero)whereas the maximum value a byte can have is 255(Add 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128)where each of the 8 bits has a value of 1.now start counting from 0 all the way to 255 to have the maximum no of characters that can be stored using one byte
hope u get it now!

Reaction score
A byte (8 bits) can store 256 unique combinations of binary digits which means it can store 256 different characters.the minimum value a byte can have is 0
(where each of the 8 bits has a value of zero)whereas the maximum value a byte can have is 255(Add 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128)where each of the 8 bits has a value of 1.now start counting from 0 all the way to 255 to have the maximum no of characters that can be stored using one byte
hope u get it now!
Thank you hafsa saleem ! Got it now :D :)
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/members/hafsa-saleem.56714/

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what are the smallest/largest magnitude, largest positive and smallest positive number that can be stored in an 8 bit register? And are there more than this that I should know?
Help please?

Reaction score
Guys those who giving CS private , r we supposed to submit any projects in AS like computing for CS ?

Reaction score
New at C.S. plus hadn't done IGCSE w/ C.S. So having a bit problem in Algo...!! Need a help..! Way better if I Get some notes for that..! seeking for Help..! :'( *(*Lachar*)*

Reaction score
Hello guys can you help me in tasks 3.4,3.5,3.6. PLease and thanks you. May god bless you guys and help everyone succeed in their exams.

Attachments

• 15paper.rtf
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hi can anyone please upload the A level Paper 4 pre-release material for 2016
My school is not cooperating with me and I am at a loss :'(
please help me :'(