• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English language notes ?

Reaction score
Hey! I'm taking English language as a full credit subject which is now 9093 code. I haven't given it as an As so I'll be having four papers to do. I'm done with the preparation of first 3 papers but the 4th one is a bit tricky. Actually, i'm totally clueless about it. I've seen the syllabus and the content but I need some guidance. I have 3 really lengthy subjects, it's quite hard to do research on the topics of p4 of english language, hence I was wondering if someone could provide me with links to sites or give me some notes based on the content of P4 of English Language? Your help and guidance would be very much appreciated! :D

Here's the topics:
Topic A: Spoken language and social groups
• Topic B: English as a global language
• Topic C: Language acquisition by children and teenagers
as for the content needed, check out page 12 and 13 of the syllabus: http://www.cie.org.uk/images/93313-2014-syllabus.pdf

Reaction score
I'm done with the preparation of first 3 papers but the 4th one is a bit tricky.

I'm taking E. Lang 9093 too. May I ask how you carried out your prep for the first 3 papers? For example, any particular books or resources you used to study? I'm having a hard time any finding concrete material to guide practice for this subject. And I don't have a teacher to check work either :S

Reaction score
Oh hey, i totally know how that feels :( I don't have a teacher myself this year and I'm all on my own for p3 & p4. According to my previous teacher, p3 is going to be the same thing as P1, as it's text analysis, you do it with the same techniques used for the comentary. It's our bad luck that we've to appear this year and we don't even know what p3&p4 will look like, in order to use it as a sample paper. Tough luck. Anyways, i did my p1 preparation with the help of this book actually. It has mentioned all the techniques that are to be used while analyzing the two passage among the three. It has sample commentaries already done to give us an idea. Moreover, our maam gave us three sample commentaries so that gave us an idea too. Then our maam made us do commentaries from 2008-2013, so yeah that was a lot of practice but I did it last year. Since I've no teacher this year myself, i'm hopeless SADFACE//

Anyways, the name of the book is English Language and Literature by Helen Toner and Elizabeth Whittome. It's a book endorsed by CIE itself.

Reaction score
Anyways, i did my p1 preparation with the help of this book actually. It has mentioned all the techniques that are to be used while analyzing the two passage among the three. It has sample commentaries already done to give us an idea. Moreover, our maam gave us three sample commentaries so that gave us an idea too. Then our maam made us do commentaries from 2008-2013, so yeah that was a lot of practice but I did it last year. Since I've no teacher this year myself, i'm hopeless SADFACE//

I dunno, all I did to prepare so far was read some comic books and I'm pretty hopeful.

And btw, I did some searching around, it looks like this:

Sample P1
Sample P2
Sample P3
Sample P4

Sample Marking schemes: 1, 2, 3, 4

Apparently, paper 4 topic 1 is like, some sort of, like satire, you know? on teenage speak. I've no idea how to answer the question though. If I were to guess, I would say the speakers had unconsciously become accustomed to adding filler phrases and pauses so that the other person would find opportunities to interject and participate, thus turning it into a group conversation.

Evidently, successful flow of conversation is like a game of collaborative sandwich making. Your partner places the bread, and slides it to you, with the implied invitation to place the mayonnaise. Once you do, you send it back for the meat. And then it comes back for the lettuce and goes back and forth for the secret sauce and top bread. And then you eat it. This is a variation of exactly this, only they're juggling half finished sentences.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Helllo iam also appearing for english language (9093) in this may/june inshAlllah so plz can u guide me with tips to prepare well iam almost done with P1 and P2 and P3 is almost like P1 but still i would really appreciate if anyone of u can tell me about good books that i can refer and thanks alot Aamynims for giving the name of this boook .. Plz let me know if u have any idea about boooks that i can refer in order to prepare for p4.. thanks :)

Reaction score
I dunno, all I did to prepare so far was read some comic books and I'm pretty hopeful.

And btw, I did some searching around, it looks like this:

Sample P1
Sample P2
Sample P3
Sample P4

Sample Marking schemes: 1, 2, 3, 4

Apparently, paper 4 topic 1 is like, some sort of, like satire, you know? on teenage speak. I've no idea how to answer the question though. If I were to guess, I would say the speakers had unconsciously become accustomed to adding filler phrases and pauses so that the other person would find opportunities to interject and participate, thus turning it into a group conversation.

Evidently, successful flow of conversation is like a game of collaborative sandwich making. Your partner places the bread, and slides it to you, with the implied invitation to place the mayonnaise. Once you do, you send it back for the meat. And then it comes back for the lettuce and goes back and forth for the secret sauce and top bread. And then you eat it. This is a variation of exactly this, only they're juggling half finished sentences.

I think you should grab that book and go through all the sample comentaries so you would have a clear idea of how to manage P1.
Oh thank you so much! I have been looking for p3 and p4 everywhere. I thought P4 was like essay writing on three topics LOL but this is something enitely different and seriously very lame -_- I have not the slightest idea how to do it myself :/ I think i'm gonna bug all my english teachers about this and when they give me tips, i shall share them all on here. ( :

ps; the sandwich example made me so hungry, i'm craving for one so badly :p

Reaction score
Helllo iam also appearing for english language (9093) in this may/june inshAlllah so plz can u guide me with tips to prepare well iam almost done with P1 and P2 and P3 is almost like P1 but still i would really appreciate if anyone of u can tell me about good books that i can refer and thanks alot Aamynims for giving the name of this boook .. Plz let me know if u have any idea about boooks that i can refer in order to prepare for p4.. thanks :)
I just saw p3 & p4 now and imma bug my teachers to help me. God, I can't believe that I'm about to start with p3 & p4 now D: as long as I get any tips, I SHALL POST THEM HERE ALRIGHT. ps, do get that book it's very helpful!

Reaction score
I feel like we're all in the same boat for P3 and p4, there is only one set of sample questions, i was thinking maybe we can find relevant edexcel papers and study as practice from them? Not the perfect solution, but only one for them currently. Lastly, could you inbox me the link of the book online? Is the whole book available online or we have to buy it?

Reaction score
I just saw p3 & p4 now and imma bug my teachers to help me. God, I can't believe that I'm about to start with p3 & p4 now D: as long as I get any tips, I SHALL POST THEM HERE ALRIGHT. ps, do get that book it's very helpful!
Hello here are some resources for you:)
The wait is over!

www.studyresourcecentre.in has now come up with an amazing opportunity to download these paid resources for FREE. Due,to special requests from people worldwide,we finally decided to make everyone smile J,because Mystudyresource grows with you.Thanks for the support and keep on downloading till the time gets over,Do suggest your peers and friends,it’s a LIMITED TIME opportunity.Do contact us if you are satisfied or want for other subjects!!

It includes materials like:-

· Solved past papers

· Typed precise notes

· Topical Mcq’s

· Sample essay answers

· Case study analysis and explanations…..

AND LOTS MORE……Download at one click from our website..

Thank you.

Reaction score
Thankkks Alooot :)

Hello here are some resources for you:)
The wait is over!

www.studyresourcecentre.in has now come up with an amazing opportunity to download these paid resources for FREE. Due,to special requests from people worldwide,we finally decided to make everyone smile J,because Mystudyresource grows with you.Thanks for the support and keep on downloading till the time gets over,Do suggest your peers and friends,it’s a LIMITED TIME opportunity.Do contact us if you are satisfied or want for other subjects!!

It includes materials like:-

· Solved past papers

· Typed precise notes

· Topical Mcq’s

· Sample essay answers

· Case study analysis and explanations…..

AND LOTS MORE……Download at one click from our website..

Thank you.

Reaction score
yeah sure i will and thanks alot for being a great help :)

Reaction score
For p3, you need to do a P1 part b like response for part a and a P1 part a response for part b (You need to compare/contrast your piece with theirs- an analysis - purpose, tone, audience, genre, features, examples, syntax/language) For P4, you need to study actual content. There are books on spoken language, the language instinct and English as a global language. They want you to use previous knowledge from your independent studies in your responses.

Reaction score
It's almost here! The English Language... omg. I think the first 3 papers are okay. It's the last one that bothers me a bit. Any tips that might be handy for paper 4? :/ I would really appreciate it >.<

Reaction score
Hey help me out with paper 3 and 4 please... Really confused wid wat to do for paper 4. can some1 send me a sample answer to some questions or something? or help me out wid the study material i should use for paper 4

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am an English teacher and have taught A Levels in UK for one year (AQA board). Right now I am heading A levels section in one of the institutes in Pakistan. I have seen the syllabus of 9093 and yes there is hardly any book available in Pakistan for paper 4 but if anyone of you need any helping material than do let me know. I will help you guys.