• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Environment of Pakistan- Fishing industry question...need help

Reaction score
Hello folks. I need help with this question, if anyone can post correct and well answers for this, perhaps from any solved past paper series please if they have? It is a question from OCT/NOV 2002 PAKISTAN STUDIES PAPER 2 thanks alot :)

2 (a) Study the following.

Fish

Group 1 – crab, lobster, prawns (jhinga), sardines, shark
Group 2 – hila, mahseer, palla, trout
Group 3 – herring, mackerel, sardines, shark

Fishing Areas

A – inland fisheries (freshwater)
B – Makran (Balochistan) Coast
C – Indus Delta (Sindh) Coast

(i) In which fishing area are the fish in group 1 caught? [1]
(ii) In which fishing area are the fish in group 2 caught? [1]
(iii) Describe the fishing industry of the Makran Coast with reference to methods of catching
the fish, ports and the uses of the fish caught. [6]
(iv) Increasingly fish are obtained from fish farms. Describe this method of producing fish.
[4]
(v) Why are fish so plentiful in the mangroves of the Indus Delta Coast? [4]

Reaction score
well can any body plz help me out with there question plz
(iii) Describe the fishing industry of the Makran Coast with reference to methods of catching
and
why is coal of limited value to pakistan?
plz p
plz help me its really urgent.......
plz

Reaction score
and
plz p
plz

hmmm i sat for the geography paper last year so my answer might not be good enough.

The fishing industry in jiwani, pasni and other small villages along the makran coast uses mostly the old fishing methods like ships with sails, traditional nets, etc. They do it to get food and not to sell the fish. But at the Gwadar port, more modern methods like fishing trawlers, modern nets, latest equipment, weather forecasting, cold storage for fish etc are used. Also at the Gwadar port, fishing is mostly done for commercial purposes and exported to other countries.

Hope it helps

Reaction score
and
plz p
plz
i also gave Pak studies last year and about question 2,Coal is of limited value to Pakistan because The coal is found in pakistan is of very low quality with low carbon content which when burnt does not produce much heat so it is of limited use
Types of coal found in Pakistan are peat and lignite which have very low carbon content as compared to the best type,Anthracite.
hope this helps(y)

Reaction score
and
plz p
plz

1) Located in Balochistan, Makran Coast covers 70% of the coastline and accounts for only 32% share in fish catch. Being present in Balochistan, fishing is the main occupation here. On the Makran coast many ports are found which include Jiwani, Somiani, Pasni, Gwadar and Ormara of which Gwadar being the most developed port. Here, traditional methods of fishing along with mechanized boats are used for catching fish. The major species caught here are Herring, Mackerel, Sardines, Drums, Catfish etc. The fishes caught here are used as food for both animals and human. Fish Waste is used as poultry feed and to make good fertilizers. They also provide delicious and nutritious white meat which is preferred as low cholestrol diet. Oil is extracted which is a source of nutrition containing Vitamins A & D.

2) Coal is of limited value to Pakistan because:
  • most of the coal found contains high ash content and is of low quality
  • most of the mines are not accessible
  • skilled labour not available for quarrying and other purposes
Hope it heped!!!! :)

Reaction score
1. 1.B
2. 2. A
3. 3.Makran Coast is slowly being developed with improved facilities eg for docking of sailboats, handling of the catch, preservation and storage. Almost all the communities on the coast of balochistan depend on fishing. Although balochistan is rich in marine fish species but less fish is caught due to conventional techniques. Recently infrastructure facilities are provided at gwadar pasni and omara fish harbor whivh will help to increase the catch.

Reaction score
thanks alot guxs one thing more that is:
the reson in the question asked should be explain first? like in this question "was the introduction to jinnahs 14 point in 1929 the most important factor in the develpoment of pakistan movement between 1928 to 1935?give reson for you answer."so should i first explain jinnahs fourteen point or nehru report as it came befor jinnah's fourteen points according to the sequence...........plz tell i will be thankful to u plz

Reaction score
i
the reson in the question asked should be explain first? like in this question "was the introduction to jinnahs 14 point in 1929 the most important factor in the develpoment of pakistan movement between 1928 to 1935?give reson for you answer."so should i first explain jinnahs fourteen point or nehru report as it came befor jinnah's fourteen points according to the sequence...........plz tell i will be thankful to u plz
ll post it in evening :) now im studying sec 3

Reaction score
yeah you should explain what is asked in the question first. But do not go about explaining all the 14 points. Only related to the more important points. Then continue your second paragraph with something like "But there were other reasons too".

Reaction score
so
yeah you should explain what is asked in the question first. But do not go about explaining all the 14 points. Only related to the more important points. Then continue your second paragraph with something like "But there were other reasons too".
so you mean i should not state the reason in chronological order............explain what is asked in the question first....

Reaction score
one thing more i am just doing sec 1 and 2 and i thinks that i will be able to answer first 3 question so it that fine.....

Reaction score
one thing more i am just doing sec 1 and 2 and i thinks that i will be able to answer first 3 question so it that fine.....

Yes, its ok but to be on the safer side you should practice till the part from which Q.4 comes, bcuz if youhave to leave a question than you might be able to.

Reaction score
so
so you mean i should not state the reason in chronological order............explain what is asked in the question first....

what i did was answer what was asked in the question first and then follow the rest chronologically. About your other question, i myself only did section 1 and 2 and got an A*. But be 100% percent sure about these two sections if you wanna leave the third section. The rest is up to you

Reaction score
Guys can u kindly tell me the answer of this question.
Increasingly fish are obtained from fish farms. Describe this method of producing fish?

Reaction score
Increasingly fish are obtained from fish farms. Describe this method of producing fish?

Reaction score

• Rectangular ponds are dug into the ground.
  • Ponds are half filled with water and after a week or two, lime is thrown into it to make it transparent.
  • Then the ponds are completely filled and fishes brought from hatcheries are introduced.(different ponds contain different types of fish,which may otherwise harm each other).
  • Fishes are given vaccination and some other food till they grow up to a certain age/size.
  • And when the reach a certain age/size, they are caught and sold...

Reaction score
WHY ARE FISH SO PLENTIFUL IN THE MANGROVESOF THE INDUS DELTA COAST ?

Please bros need an urgent answer, have my exam tommorow