• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Integration involving Inverse Hyperbolic Functions

Reaction score
Hi, could anybody help me with this integration question? Thing is, I understand the integration process through substitution x = 2sin(u) but there is a notice box in my book suggesting that this could be done without using the substitution x = 2sin(u). I have attached the question from my book as an image. I would be really thankful if anyone could help.

q4333.png

Last edited by a moderator:

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
It is just referring to standard integrals that we can use for common integrals.

For example, you probably already know that
\(\int \frac{1}{x}\mathop{dx}=\ln x+C \)

Similarly, there is another standard integral
\(\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}\mathop{dx}=\sin^{-1}{x+C} \)

We can compare the question with this standard integral and manipulate
\(\int{\sqrt{4-x^{2}}}\mathop{dx} \Leftrightarrow\int \frac{{4-x^{2}}}{\sqrt{4-x^{2}}}\mathop{dx} \)

Proceeding with integrating by parts using our standard integral (and not doing any actual integration this way), this gives
\(\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{{4-x^{2}}}x+{2sin^{-1}}\frac{x}{2}+C \)

I'm attaching a list of some of the standard integrals.
There are even more standard integrals out there that could solve the question in just 3 steps but depending on your paper and awarding body, you probably don't need to know these at this stage.

Attachments

• xprs_standard_integrals.png
    xprs_standard_integrals.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Thing is, I tried doing it through integration by parts but it does not work. It only works if I use the substitution. Could you please share the steps if it can be done by integration by parts without substitution. I would be really grateful. PlanetMaster

Reaction score
Here are my steps.......

Integration By Parts Formula I am using:
formula ibp.png

Step 1:
step 1.png

Step 2:
step 2.png

Step 3:
step 3.png

Again we will apply integration by parts.......

Then Step 4:
step 4.png

Step 5:
step 5.png

Should I continue further?........ PlanetMaster

Last edited:
Reaction score
Step 6:
step 6.png

Again using integration by parts:
Step 7:
step 7.png

Step 8:
step 8.png

Now we get back the integral in step 3, I am a bit confused, any clue about what went wrong?..... PlanetMaster

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
I'll try with steps but using the above standard integral will still require some sort of substitution eventually (albeit a much easier one).

Starting off with
\(\int \frac{{4-x^{2}}}{\sqrt{4-x^{2}}}\mathop{dx} \)

Integrating by parts, we have
\(u=4-x^{2} \)
\(du=-2x\mathop{dx} \)
\(dv=(4-x^{2})^{-\frac{1}{2}}\mathop{dx} \)
\(v=sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{2})+C \)

(This \(v \) above is what your book was referring to)

Substituting above in integration by parts equation, we get
\((4-x^{2})(sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{2}))-\int((sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{2}))(-2x\mathop{dx})) \)

Simplifying this, we get
\((4-x^{2})(sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{2}))+2\int x(sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{2}))\mathop{dx} \)

Now this is a fairly simple integral that we can solve either using u=x/2 substitution or by parts again (since we have only x now as u).
I'll skip the steps here but this should give (if needed, use any online integral compute tool to get steps)

\((4-x^{2})(sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{2}))+\frac{1}{2}x\sqrt{4-x^{2}}+(-2+x^{2})sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{2})+C \)

And this simplifies to
\(\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{{4-x^{2}}}x+{2sin^{-1}}\frac{x}{2}+C \)

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
I tried to do it using the substitution u=x/2. It gets the required answer but through a trig substitution again which we don't want to use. Although, if I apply integration by parts it is working and leads to the desired result without substitution. I have attached my steps below. PlanetMaster

Last edited:
Reaction score
Step 1:
step 1.png

Step 2:
step 2.png

Step 3:
step 3.png

Step 4:
step 4.png

Step 5:
step 5.png