• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Is an online degree completely valueless? :(

Reaction score
Assalamu alaikum everyone! Hope you all are in good health in sha Allah ☺
Let me explain my situation first!
I live in Dubai and have completed my O and A levels in Dubai itself.
I couldn't continue my higher education, because universities here are very expensive.So I decided to go for a Pakistani university.
I may start working ina few months so I decided to apply for online universities,that are recognized by HEC.
But so many people have told me that online degrees are valueless?
is that true?
please help!
thanks for your precious time ☺

Reaction score
Assalamu alaikum everyone! Hope you all are in good health in sha Allah ☺
Let me explain my situation first!
I live in Dubai and have completed my O and A levels in Dubai itself.
I couldn't continue my higher education, because universities here are very expensive.So I decided to go for a Pakistani university.
I may start working ina few months so I decided to apply for online universities,that are recognized by HEC.
But so many people have told me that online degrees are valueless?
is that true?
please help!
thanks for your precious time ☺
Walaikum Assalam Syeda! Hope you're fine too.
Can you kindly mention those online universities? I only know of Virtual University so far.
Well they are not 'valueless' but it depends on your field and the requirements of job market. Generally, in Pakistan, online degrees are not given much significance because in online learning; you miss out the personal grooming and also do not really study in a competitive environment rather in a relaxed state. Also online universities aren't that good in Pakistan. Even the majority of campus universities aren't that good. If you are going to pursue CS then online is a nice idea because it all comes down to your skillset and experience rather than GPA plus Computer Science is among those rare fields where you can learn everything from behind a computer screen. If you are looking forward to any engineering then the online university is not a good idea. Rather save up some money in your gap year and apply to Pakistani universities next year otherwise it won't be of much advantage. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I originally wanted to apply in Virtual Comsats,but they're not accepting new admissions now.I don't know why
Now I have applied in virtual university of Pakistan and I decided to go for B.Ed hons. Degree.I love teaching.
also,I'm thinking of studying from Islamic Online University,I've heard that their B.Sc IT program is really good.I think an online IT degree isn't that bad right? I want to complete two degrees in the next four years.I know it'll be alot of work but I have ALSO beard that just a B.Ed degree is of no value and you need to have a B.Sc degree along with it.
that's why I thought that B.Sc IT would be nice.I don't really know!
and thank you for your response ☺