• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics

Reaction score
Salaam,
I came across this question while doing a sample Question Paper and have gotten stuck rather badly.
It would be much appreciated if anyone could offer help or a solution of sorts. Thank You. :)
It says:

In how many ways can the ten letters of the word GELATINOUS be arranged in a line so that the vowels are in alphabetical order (not necessarily together) when read from left to right?

Reaction score
You can arrange 10 different objects in 10! ways. In the given question, although 5 of the objects have to be placed in a specific order, 5 such objects could be arranged among themselves in 5! ways with no restrictions. Hence the given problem can be solved in 10!/5! = 30240 ways

Reaction score
^A^E^I^O^U^
where ^ are possible places for placing a consonant...
there are 5 consonants...and 6 places...
so i would go for 6P5 =720

hpe zat hlps...

Reaction score
like soumayya elaborated
^A^E^I^O^U^
There are six positions and five letters to be adjusted.
five positions (vowel letters)have been fixed in specific order. you have left 6 positions with 5 letters to adjust.
this can b done starting 1st position till letters are finished and last position left
and starting filling from 2nd position till last one. hence your ans is.
5! +5!
or 2*(5!)= 240 ways

Reaction score
usman said:
You can arrange 10 different objects in 10! ways. In the given question, although 5 of the objects have to be placed in a specific order, 5 such objects could be arranged among themselves in 5! ways with no restrictions. Hence the given problem can be solved in 10!/5! = 30240 ways
correct!

Reaction score
guys we already established the anser as 10!/5! earlier in the forum by me and usman and that is the correct anser so thnx for the replys but MW24595 got the anser