• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths P3 !!!Need help in finding perpendicular distance between point and line!!!

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with vectors. For some reason, whenever I do any of the maths involving finding the distance between a point and a line, the answers never match. Can someone give me a tip on how to solve this type of problems.

When I solve it I find the unit vector in the direction of the line. Let's call it u. I also find the vector of a line from a part of r=a+tb. Let's call it c.

I find c.u, |c| and take the shortest distance as sqrt{(c.u)^2+(|c|)^2}

Could somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks

Reaction score
Um...I'm not that good at vectors either, but the answers usually match......I can explain in if you give me one of the questions which are bothering you.

Reaction score
One of the questions is q2 from the p3 book.

find the distance of (1,0,0) from r=t(12i-3j-4k)

my soln:
a=i
unit vector in direction r, n=(12/13)i-(3/13)j-(4/13)k
a.n=12/13
|a|=1
so, shortest distance=sqrt(1-(12/13)^2)=5/13

answer on the back of the book is (1/13)*sqrt(69)

Reaction score
SORRY FOR BEING LATE!!
I THINK IT'S BETTER IF YOU USE EXAMPLES FROM PAST PAPERS...
I took screenshots of the way I solve this type of question but i've got no idea how to post the photo...PLZ TELL ME HOW!
DON'T WORRY! THE MAIN PROB WITH THIS QUESTION IS CONCENTRATION !

Reaction score
SORRY FOR BEING LATE!!
I THINK IT'S BETTER IF YOU USE EXAMPLES FROM PAST PAPERS...
I took screenshots of the way I solve this type of question but i've got no idea how to post the photo...PLZ TELL ME HOW!
DON'T WORRY! THE MAIN PROB WITH THIS QUESTION IS CONCENTRATION !
Just copy the screenshot and paste it here

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry for not replying myself.

If you're giving the exam on Thursday, good luck. Pray for me too 'cause I'm givin the exam too.