• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Medical field!!!!

Reaction score
I want to ask that if we are doing A levels with bio , chem and physics, is it better to stay in Pakistan or go abroad?

Reaction score
depends on your result.

If you go to USA first there is 4year undergrad then MD. And the admission is very very difficult for international students.

In UK its like pakistan but admission is also very very difficult too and the fee is outrageous.

In Pakistan if you screw your equivalence then govt colleges are out of question

Reaction score
depends on your result.

If you go to USA first there is 4year undergrad then MD. And the admission is very very difficult for international students.

In UK its like pakistan but admission is also very very difficult too and the fee is outrageous.

In Pakistan if you screw your equivalence then govt colleges are out of question
oh s***t , i mean medical is not a preferrable field isnt it?
shuld i opt any other?

Reaction score
depends on your result.

Hey, Im gonna sit for my A levels with 3 science subjects-bio,chem,phy....Now the cache here is I've given my O levels and have decided to do my higher studies in the states as I'm a citizen there..Now do I have to sit for the A's or should I directly go for the SAT..is A levels necessary for me to study medical over at the states?? and also can u please tell me what do I have to achive in order to get into colleges like Princeton,Yale,MIT?? Thanks In advance bro! :) I see you're a medical student too :) I would be severely relieved,if you can gift me with a pleasant reply LOL :p Thanks again! I appreciate

Reaction score
for yale/mit get some distinctions in olevels
5 subs in alevel with all A and A* expected
2300+ sat1 and sat2
part of team or the person who wins an international or national event in debates, science olympiads etc
great university essay and teacher recommendations
good interview
and most importantly lots of prayers

Reaction score
if i get an equivalence of 975 marks (in a levels)..will i be able to get admission in good govt university in pakistan..???

Reaction score
if i get an equivalence of 975 marks (in a levels)..will i be able to get admission in good govt university in pakistan..???
Depends on your result of entry test too

Reaction score

LOOK YOUR OLEVEL COUNTS A LOT, IT COUNTS FULLY FOR OLEVEL EQUIVALENCE.YOUR ALEVEL EQUIVALENCE BASICALLY CONSISTS OF MARKS FROM 800 FROM OLEVELSANDONLY 300 FROM ALEVELS.

SO OLEVEL BECOMES MORE IMPORTANT THAN ALEVELS. I KNOW THIS SOUNDS STRANGE THAT FOR YOUR ALEVEL EQUIVALENCE, YOUR OLEVEL MARKS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT, BUT THIS IS HOW IT WORKS HERE. SORRY!!

look even with 997 in mcat out of 1100, my merit in mcat test was 404. So 403 students scored higher than me in mcat test. You never know what is good or bad. There are around 3000 seats in govt colleges in punjab. The best ones are in lahore with around maybe 700 seats or more plus minus 100. so you must have at least 86% aggregate to be absolutely sure. 84.5% is cut off point for lahore BUT THIS CAN VARY BY 0.5 TO 1%. USUALLY IT GOES ABOVE THAN GOING DOWN AS COMPETITION INCREASES EVERY YEAR.

SEE BELOW FOR PUNJAB MEDICAL COLLEGES

Do this math first
calculate your olevel marks for 8 subs phy,chem,bio,eng,urdu,math,isl,pakst
with 90 for A*, 85 for A, 75 for B, 65 for C
add all ur A's, and A* etc as shown above
me (7A* and 1A) = 715

IM NOT SURE BUT I DONT THINK THAT YOU CAN GIVE EXAMS IN THREE CONSECUTIVE SESSIONS BY DIVIDING YOUR 8 SUBJECTS BETWEEN JUNE 2012, THEN NOV 2012 AND THEN IN JUNE 2013

EITHER YOU GIVE ALL SUBJECTS IN 1 SESSION, OR IN 2 SESSIONS WITH A MAXIMUM OF 1 YEAR GAP BETWEEN THE TWO SESSIONS.

IT WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU ARE TO CONFIRM THIS WITH IBCC

divide your total by 800 and multiply by 900
715/800 into 900 =804
you will get your olevel equivalence
mine was 804/900
89.38%

for alevel equivalence ADD YOUR OLEVEL TOTAL FROM 800 NOT 900+ 3 subjects from alevel (same 90 for A*, 85 for A etc)
i had 3A* in alevel
like for me 715 + (3*90) = 985
this is ur alevel equivalence

now divide ur olevel equivalence percentage by 10, lets call the answer as O
89.38/10 So, O= 8.94

now divide your alevel equivalence by 1100 and multiply by 40, lets call the answer as A
985/1100 into 40 So, A = 35.81

Add O and A. Suppose the answer is T
8.94+35.81 So, T = 44.76

Substract the answer T from 86%. 86% is your FINAL AGGREGATE REQUIRED FOR ALLAMA IQBAL LAST YEAR . SERVICES WAS 84.5% I THINK (BUT AS COMPETITION INCREASES EVERY YEAR, LETS AIM FOR 86%)
86-44.76 = 41.24

Now divide the answer by 50 and multiply by 1100. This will tell you minumum marks) for next year that u must get in mcat
41.24/50 into 1100 = 908

so 918 are needed from 1100 in mcat

I HOPE THIS HELPS, feel free to ask questions

Reaction score
is that percentage deduction still going on for the A level students?? if yes then how much?

Reaction score
there is no such thing as percentage deduction, although as i have pointed above, you can get maximum 90% marks in equivalence, matric/fsc can get 93-94%

Reaction score
I have no idea where you got the idea that they deduct 10 marks for giving the exams in 2 sessions or that you can't have more than 2 sessions. It's just that they didn't award the 90 marks for the A* awarded in the November 2009 session because the new IBCC policy hadn't started back then. So if you gave Islamiat and Pakistan Studies in November 2009 then you received 85 marks for each of the two subjects. But it isn't that they cut 10 marks just because you gave it in two sessions.

Reaction score
i know someone who asked about the 1 year gap between the two sessions from IBCC and I was told it exists

Im afraid you may not be right. I gave 3 subjects in nov09. Had 2A* and 1A, so technically I should have received 85,85 and an 80.

With 5A* in june 2010, i would have had 90,90,90,90 and 90. Overall the total should have been (700/800 into 900) = 787. I got 793.

The only way your argument could be right is that for nov09, A* and A were both rewarded equally at 85 (which is strange but plausible). So yes may be your right or maybe Im wrong.

Reaction score
The only way your argument could be right is that for nov09, A* and A were both rewarded equally at 85 (which is strange but plausible). So yes may be your right or maybe Im wrong.

Exactly. The A* was actually considered an A back then. An A has always been equivalent to 85. It is the A* that got a higher percentage.

Reaction score
look even with 997 in mcat out of 1100, my merit in mcat test was 404. So 403 students scored higher than me in mcat test. You never know what is good or bad. There are around 3000 seats in govt colleges in punjab. The best ones are in lahore with around maybe 700 seats or more plus minus 100. so you must have at least 86% aggregate to be absolutely sure. 84.5% is cut off point for lahore BUT THIS CAN VARY BY 0.5 TO 1%. USUALLY IT GOES ABOVE THAN GOING DOWN AS COMPETITION INCREASES EVERY YEAR.

LOOK YOUR OLEVEL COUNTS A LOT, IT COUNTS FULLY FOR OLEVEL EQUIVALENCE. YOUR ALEVEL EQUIVALENCE BASICALLY CONSISTS OF MARKS FROM 800 FROM OLEVELS AND ONLY 300 FROM ALEVELS. SO OLEVEL BECOMES MORE IMPORTANT THAN ALEVELS. I KNOW THIS SOUNDS STRANGE THAT FOR YOUR ALEVEL EQUIVALENCE, YOUR OLEVEL MARKS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT, BUT THIS IS HOW IT WORKS HERE. SORRY!!

SEE BELOW

Do this math first
calculate your olevel marks for 8 subs phy,chem,bio,eng,urdu,math,isl,pakst
with 90 for A*, 85 for A, 75 for B, 65 for C
add all ur A's, and A* etc as shown above
me (7A* and 1A) = 715

if you have given your exams in 2 sessions then deduct ten from total.
715-10= 705
THERE MUST NOT BE A GAP GREATER THAN 1 YEAR BETWEEN THE TWO SESSIONS. SO YOU CAN ONLY GIVE SOME SUBJECTS IN JUNE 2012 AND THE REST IN JUNE 2013. OTHERWISE IF YOU GIVE IN NOV 2013 THEN YOU MUST REPEAT YOUR JUNE 2012 (BECAUSE THE GAP BECOMES GREATER THAN A YEAR). IM NOT SURE BUT YOU CANT GIVE EXAMS IN THREE CONSECUTIVE SESSIONS BY DIVIDING YOUR 8 SUBJECTS BETWEEN JUNE 2012, THEN NOV 2012 AND THEN IN JUNE 2013

I HOPE THIS HELPS, feel free to ask questions
So you mean to say that if I gave three subjects (Islamiyat, Pakstudies and Urdu) in June 2011 and the rest 5 subjects in June 2012....they will deduct 10 marks? :eek:

Reaction score
So you mean to say that if I gave three subjects (Islamiyat, Pakstudies and Urdu) in June 2011 and the rest 5 subjects in June 2012....they will deduct 10 marks? :eek:

Now that's something new. Many leading schools have the same pattern for their O'levels . I don't think so deduction of marks does take place for this reason :/

Reaction score
No, they don't deduct 10 marks. I have edited the post as well as the document by anwar2400. It was just a misunderstanding due to an irregularity in the equivalent marks awarded for the November 2009 session by IBCC when anwar2400 gave 3 of his exams. The new and current policy of IBCC started from June 2010 as mentioned in their brochure and hopefully they'll maintain uniformity in the times to come.

I hope this cleared the confusion. :)

Reaction score
thankyou oakmoon, as oakmoon has already pointed out for my nov09 session, we were given 85 for both A and A* (the ibcc policy started only from june 2010 onwards). It was my mistake (I thought I had edited all my posts, I forgot this one).