• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

O Level Grading System

Reaction score
AoA
I just wanted to know that how does our grades get calculated in GCE O Level as i am confused about all the threshold stuff. The Syllabus states that A is awarded on a percent uniform mark of 80% while A* is awarded on a percent uniform mark of 90 %. Is it right. please reply to answer my query.

Reaction score
AoA
I just wanted to know that how does our grades get calculated in GCE O Level as i am confused about all the threshold stuff. The Syllabus states that A is awarded on a percent uniform mark of 80% while A* is awarded on a percent uniform mark of 90 %. Is it right. please reply to answer my query.
i think that depends on the difficulty level of the paper!!!!!!

Reaction score
AoA
Yes, percentile/grade thresholds are no doubt complicated but as far as I understand, if the paper is difficult and majority of candidates score less then the thresholds fall/the percentile is low... for example A*s may be given to students scoring 85% and above and As may be given to those scoring 75% and above. Not quite sure how it works if the paper is easy and the percentile is high but I hope this helps :)

Reaction score
rammy97 by "High" you mean its in the range of about 75-80% for an A and 84+ for an A*......After looking at the grade boundaries of IGCSE l have reached a conclusion that grade boundry for an A can also fall below 70% sometimes...:D that's surely an advantage but since many students are weak in sciences and at the same time some are very good so what is an average Threshold for an A and an A*...By following several years of IGCSE Gt's an average for A is about at 75% or close to it and about 84% for an A*(In my view).....And since the syllabus for IG and GCE O'Level are very close to each other l believe the gts are about the same.

Reaction score
rammy97 by "High" you mean its in the range of about 75-80% for an A and 84+ for an A*......After looking at the grade boundaries of IGCSE l have reached a conclusion that grade boundry for an A can also fall below 70% sometimes...:D that's surely an advantage but since many students are weak in sciences and at the same time some are very good so what is an average Threshold for an A and an A*...By following several years of IGCSE Gt's an average for A is about at 75% or close to it and about 84% for an A*(In my view).....And since the syllabus for IG and GCE O'Level are very close to each other l believe the gts are about the same.
I hope thats true man! You can get an A* at 70%? Best thing I've heard all year!! :D

Reaction score
Tht's wat British says:
The process of grading in Cambridge O Level involves deciding the minimum mark necessary for each grade. We do not have predetermined thresholds (or quotas of candidates). After each examination series we decide the minimum marks for each threshold (grade boundaries) for each individual component. We carry out this process in order to ensure that the demands on the candidates are the same for every subject and every examination series. We are therefore unable to provide a general list of percentages required for each grade.

Reaction score
Tht's wat British says:
The process of grading in Cambridge O Level involves deciding the minimum mark necessary for each grade. We do not have predetermined thresholds (or quotas of candidates). After each examination series we decide the minimum marks for each threshold (grade boundaries) for each individual component. We carry out this process in order to ensure that the demands on the candidates are the same for every subject and every examination series. We are therefore unable to provide a general list of percentages required for each grade.
Oh!so this means it will go very down this time,as every friend of mine coming out of the hall is like damn ganda howa,( excecpt for some geeks).Hope it Goes down but wait!In every syllabus it is written 90 above A*,80 above A and so on.....????

Reaction score
Tht's wat British says:
So wait.. if the paper is really easy the thresholds may be high and A*s may be on 95%??? and As on 85%??? And even if I get 90% it will be an A and not an A* or does the rule only apply for low thresholds? CIE is complicated!

Reaction score
Oh!so this means it will go very down this time,as every friend of mine coming out of the hall is like damn ganda howa,( excecpt for some geeks).Hope it Goes down but wait!In every syllabus it is written 90 above A*,80 above A and so on.....????
You got my vote dude. My parents will throw me out if I get a B, and I think Chemistry might strike me with a B. If my parents won't then I'll do it my self, that is throwing myself in a dumpster!