• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics P5 : Some tips for question 1

Reaction score
Here are just a few things I've noticed from doing past papers and reading reports. Sorry for last minute post, hope this helps.

1.For safety precautions, do not include standard lab precautions.
2. Always state how the graph proves or disproves the relationship.
3. Give a labelled diagram.
4. To measure pressure, use a Bourdon gauge or pressure gauge, NOT pressure meter or barometer.
5. Always check the orientation of the apparatus (whether it must be aligned or perpendicular)
6. Solve the given equation, i.e re-write in y=mx +c form.
7.For electrical circuits, estimate resistance and decide on voltage to be used. For high resistance, EHT power supply can be used.
8. When using Ohmeters to measure resistances, NO power supply needed.
9. When using ammeters and voltmeters to measure resistance, use power supply.
10. For the measurement of diameter, thickness, measure at several points using micrometer screw gauge and find mean value.
11. Use spirit level to ensure a rule is horizontal.
12. Always clearly state the independent, dependent variables. Then also state which variables are kept constant.

For oscillations : 1.Time more than 10 oscillations. 2. Use small amplitudes (preferably constant). 3.fiducial markers. 4. Start timing after oscillations have settled.

Additional detail points:
1. If any variable is to be kept constant, explain how. (e.g keeping current constant, adjust rheostat settings)
2. Always check if temperature has to be kept constant (especially for magnetic fields, conducting or semi-conducting strips of material, etc)
3. If a magnetic field is being used, always state that other magnetic fields are avoided.
4. If glass sheets are used, clean and dry them before use.
5. Always allow apparatus to stabilise before taking readings.
6.Check whether readings need to be repeated and mean calculated.
7.If we have to connect some material to an electrical circuit, to ensure good contact use metal electrodes or aluminium foil.
8. Always estimate and state the range of ammeter and/or voltmeter being used.
9. If using C.R.O, state whether time base is on or off.
10. For C.R.O, microphone is connected to y-plates of C.R.O.

Safety precautions:
1.Bright light source - don't look directly at it
2. Hot light source, don't touch it
3. If heavy loads are being used, place bucket of sand below bench.
4. Wear ear defenders for loud sounds.
5. For sharp edges when dealing with glass sheets or metal strips, use gloves.

All the best people!

Reaction score
Can you please help me for diagrams ? :/
Can you post only the diagrams here ?

Reaction score
bamteck
Only four diagrams, but hope they help. I've worked out almost all past papers in a copybook, but not able to scan those diagrams :(
I don't have much drawing skills, as you see : P Hence I tend to add information about the alignment of apparatus in the additional details section.

Attachments

• p5.jpeg
    p5.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 102
Reaction score
bamteck
Only four diagrams, but hope they help. I've worked out almost all past papers in a copybook, but not able to scan those diagrams :(
I don't have much drawing skills, as you see : P Hence I tend to add information about the alignment of apparatus in the additional details section.

Thank you loads ! I'm just having difficulty in illustrating the diagrams ! Else, everything is okay ! :)
Thanks ...

Reaction score
Here are just a few things I've noticed from doing past papers and reading reports. Sorry for last minute post, hope this helps.

1.For safety precautions, do not include standard lab precautions.
2. Always state how the graph proves or disproves the relationship.
3. Give a labelled diagram.
4. To measure pressure, use a Bourdon gauge or pressure gauge, NOT pressure meter or barometer.
5. Always check the orientation of the apparatus (whether it must be aligned or perpendicular)
6. Solve the given equation, i.e re-write in y=mx +c form.
7.For electrical circuits, estimate resistance and decide on voltage to be used. For high resistance, EHT power supply can be used.
8. When using Ohmeters to measure resistances, NO power supply needed.
9. When using ammeters and voltmeters to measure resistance, use power supply.
10. For the measurement of diameter, thickness, measure at several points using micrometer screw gauge and find mean value.
11. Use spirit level to ensure a rule is horizontal.
12. Always clearly state the independent, dependent variables. Then also state which variables are kept constant.

For oscillations : 1.Time more than 10 oscillations. 2. Use small amplitudes (preferably constant). 3.fiducial markers. 4. Start timing after oscillations have settled.

Additional detail points:
1. If any variable is to be kept constant, explain how. (e.g keeping current constant, adjust rheostat settings)
2. Always check if temperature has to be kept constant (especially for magnetic fields, conducting or semi-conducting strips of material, etc)
3. If a magnetic field is being used, always state that other magnetic fields are avoided.
4. If glass sheets are used, clean and dry them before use.
5. Always allow apparatus to stabilise before taking readings.
6.Check whether readings need to be repeated and mean calculated.
7.If we have to connect some material to an electrical circuit, to ensure good contact use metal electrodes or aluminium foil.
8. Always estimate and state the range of ammeter and/or voltmeter being used.
9. If using C.R.O, state whether time base is on or off.
10. For C.R.O, microphone is connected to y-plates of C.R.O.

Safety precautions:
1.Bright light source - don't look directly at it
2. Hot light source, don't touch it
3. If heavy loads are being used, place bucket of sand below bench.
4. Wear ear defenders for loud sounds.
5. For sharp edges when dealing with glass sheets or metal strips, use gloves.

All the best people!