• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Shab-e-Miraj and Shab-e-Baraat..It's not right.

Reaction score
Shabb-e-Miraj and Shabb-e-Baraat..is it right?

Shaab-e-Miraj:

I don’t really know much about this celebration that is done, except the fact that it is celebrated because Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) had undergone the night journey – Israa and Miraj -, and that the 5 daily prayers were prescribed to him from Allah (سٌبْحَانَهٌ وَ تَعَلَى).
The other day, I was watching television and I saw that the majority of the Islamic leaders had believed that our Rasul (PBUH) had ascended the seven heavens that night and had met Allah (سٌبْحَانَهٌ وَ تَعَلَى). I believe it till this part…but the scholars went on to say that he met Allah face to face. This is the error…a grave one because it goes against what the Prophet described. Yes, Rasulullah (PBUH) had met Allah (سٌبْحَانَهٌ وَ تَعَلَى) and yes the prayers were prescribed to him from there, but NO! The Prophet (PBUH) said that there was a point in which Angel Jibreel stopped to accompany him saying that he was not to move ahead of where they were and that the Prophet had to go alone and talk to Allah. Between the Prophet and Allah (سٌبْحَانَهٌ وَ تَعَلَى) was a veil, which means that the Prophet (PBUH) had not seen Allah’s Face but had only talked to him from behind a Veil.
This is one part of the belief which I want to correct. Another is the celebration itself. It is Bid’ah- an innovation- to our Deen and every Bid’ah, leads to harm, and every harm leads to the Hell Fire. I have searched through almost every Hadith book and nope, I had not found a single proof that the Prophet (PBUH) had celebrated his night nor that his companions (May Allah have mercy on them) had celebrated it during his lifetime or after his death. And some of us might not even believe what I am saying, but my Muslim brothers and sisters..both, you and I know that now, a question mark regarding this topic has been made deep somewhere in our hearts…and the Prophet (PBUH) said that whenever you have a doubt over something, you leave it. Either way, please stop practicing such things.
We might follow what our parents tell us, Brothers and Sisters, yes we might. And there’s no doubt that no child would ever want to correct the beliefs of his/her parents..but my fellow Muslim Brothers and Sisters, when it comes to Islam, when it comes to Deen, there’s no big and no small. There is only proof and no proof, right or wrong. And because there’s no proof what so ever that Shaab-e-Miraj must be celebrated, we must’nt… Instead, we must enjoin good and forbid evil.

Shaab-e-Baarat:

I’ve searched deep into the reason why we celebrate Shaab-e-Baraat. One thing I’d tell you once again, is that it’s Bid’ah.
From all my research, I gathered that this night is celebrated due to the widely held belief that Allah(سٌبْحَانَهٌ وَ تَعَلَى) Writes the Qadar on this night, therefore, we pray all night and make a lot of Du’aas. No, brothers and sisters, there’s an authentic Hadith in which the Prophet (PBUH) says that when the Rooh is blown into a developing fetus in the mother’s womb, four things are written down:
1. Its sustenance
2. Lifespan
3. Deeds
4. And whether he/she will be miserable or happy (i.e. whether he/she will dwell in Paradise or Hell-Fire)
Bukhari and Muslim

So the Qadar (Kismat) is written long before we even enter the World. Yes, Du’aas and good deeds can change the our Qadar, but what I am trying to say over here is that Allah (سٌبْحَانَهٌ وَ تَعَلَى) does choose that one night of 15th Sha’ban to Write our Qadar. No, this widely held belief is wrong and must not be practiced.

Du’as can be accepted at any time, anywhere, no matter what the occasion and no matter what the situation. Yes, if there’s one night, about which both the Qur’an and Sunnah agree upon, in which any prayers will be answered, it is the night of Qadar: in other words, Layla-tul-Qadar. This is the night about which a Surah has been revealed and the night about which our Messenger (PBUH) said that it is blessed.
Even about Lyla-tul-Qadar, many hold a belief that it will come on the 27th of Ramadan. This is also not right. In fact, this night can come at any odd night in the last ten days of Ramadan, during which we pray the Qiyam-ul-Layl.

So my Muslim brothers and sisters, if I said anything wrong up there, please correct me. If you found any authentic narration on the celebration of the two nights I mentioned above, please feel free to share it, for I would like to correct my own beliefs if they are wrong.
May Allah (سٌبْحَانَهٌ وَ تَعَلَى) guide us to what’s right and keep us on the right track, may our hearts open up for acceptance and may ignorance no longer prevail…may we all enter Jannah-tul-Firdaus with all of our sins erased and may we be able to maintain and re-establish this ever-lasting bond of brotherhood in our Ummah…aameen..

Thank you very much for reading thisJ

Reaction score
Islamic scholars have contradictions as to whether we should celebrate Shab-e-Miraj and Shab-e-Barat. Both sides have evidence to back up their statements. I am confused what to believe.........

show us the evidence brother...what evidence is there that these two nights must be celebrated..please let us know:)

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
944134_633380870008375_203305457_n.jpg

Reaction score
I found this on Facebook recently, and I think it's quite clear, with references. Just thought it would be good to spread the word.
Have an awesome day and salam to all of you. :)
Giving significance to the night of 15th Sha'ban, visiting graveyards, doing extra Ibaadah (worship) and offering extra Nawaafil Salaah with the intention of specifically doing so on the occasion of 15th Sha'ban, having illuminations, considering it to be the Eid of the dead and keeping awake for the whole night of 15th Sha'ban and encouraging others to do the same -- all these are Bid'ah (innovation) . The prophet and the Sahaabah never did so nor commanded the muslims to do so.

We don't find any evidence of such things in the entire authentic Seerah of the Prophet and his companions. According to Allamah Ibn Rajab Abu Bakr Turtoshi, Ibn Wazzah Qurtubi, Suyuti, Shokani etc. all the Ahadith pertaining to the subject are weak and unacceptable.

The Hadith that is generally quoted to support the practices done on the night of 15th Sha'ban is Zaif (weak) according to Muhaddiseen (the scholars of Ahadith) and is not to be put into practice.

I missed Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) during the night and found him in al-Baqi'. He said: Were you afraid that Allah and His Messenger would deal unjustly with you? I said: Allah's Messenger , I thought that you had gone to some of your other wives. He (the prophet) said: Verily Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, comes down to the heaven of the world in the middle night of Sha'ban and forgives sins even more abundant than the hair of the goats of Kalb. (Tirmidhi, Hadith No. 739; Sunan Ibn-I-Majah, Hadith No. 1389; Ahmad Vol. 6, 238)

According to Imam Bukhari and Tirmidhi, the above mentioned Hadith has a broken chain of narrators in two places, and therefore it is weak. Allamah Ibnul Arabi (543H), in his commentary of Sunan -At-Tirmidhi, titled 'Arizatul-Ahwazi', Vol 3, Pg No. 216 adds: '....further, in it Hajjaj Ibn Artaat is not reliable.'

However, it is established that the Prophet (pbuh) did visit the Baqi graveyard once, as Allah had commanded him and he prayed for Ahle-Baqi (the people of Baqi), but the exact night of this event is not known, as there is no clear proof in this regard. The prophet had done this by the commandment of Allah (swt), therefore the Prophet was an exception to this act.

Aisha (R.A.) says that the Prophet (pbuh) said: "Gabriel came to me and said; Your Rabb commands you to go to the graveyard of Baqi and seek forgiveness for them". (Sahih Muslim, Hadith No. 2256)

It is permissible for men to visit graveyard whenever they wish and pray for the dead, however it is not permissible to fix a specific day or night for the purpose and consider it to be of a special virtue unless we find any proof for doing so from the Qur'an or the authentic Ahadith.

Allamah Ibnul Arabi writes: "There is no reliable Hadith regarding the 15th of Sha'ban. Although certain commentators insist that the verse from Surah Dukhan, chapter 44, verse 4: 'In that (night) is made distinct every affair of wisdom', refer to 15th of Sha'ban, but this is not true, as Allah did not reveal the Qur'an in Sha'ban. The Qur'an was revealed in Ramadan, as mentioned in Surah Baqarah, chapter 2, verse 185, and this can only be statement of a person who transgresses the book of Allah (swt) and is careless of his word". (Arizatul Ahwazi, Vol. 3, Page No. 217)

According to Hadith of Sahih Muslim, Vol. 2, Hadith No. 1885: ".. Most evil affairs are their innovations, and every innovation is an error..."

So Muslims should beware of and steer clear of all innovation and bid'ah.

Reaction score
I am glad someone else has also pondered over this n it wud surley help many of us to correct ourselves. JazakAllah for sharing this info. :) I also did some research which I wud like to share though I was still confused but now I'm clear abt it :)

What is Shab-e-barat? What is the significance of the night of the 15th of Sha’ban? Why is the Arab world not aware of this night? When did we start celebrating this religious festival and where? Is there any mention of this night in our Holy Qur’an? Is there any authentic book where something is mentioned about this night? In India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, some people celebrate this night and mix it up with the greatest night “Laylatul Qadr” of the month of Ramadan.

A 1. The month of Sha’ban is the eighth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. The fifteenth night of this month is known as Laylatul Bara’ah or Laylatun Nisfe min Sha’ban in the Arab world. In India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Afghanistan, etc., it is known as Shab-e-barat. Some people believe that in Surah al-Dukhan (44:3-4) there is a reference to this night as Allah says, “We sent it (the Qur’an) down during a blessed night. We are truly warners. In that night is made distinct every affair of wisdom” But the night referred to here cannot be a Sha’ban night, because it is said here clearly that the Qur’an was revealed in this night. We know from the Surah al-Qadr (97) that the Qur’an was revealed in the night of Qadr and we also know from the Qur’an (Al-Baqarah 2:185) that the Qur’an was revealed in the month of Ramadan, so it is obvious that the night of the revelation of the Qur’an was in Ramadan, not Sha’ban, and that it was Laylatul Qadr not Shab-e-barat (or the Sha’ban night).
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We have sent it (this Qur’aan) down in the Night of Al-Qadr (Decree).

And what will make you know what the Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?

The Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allaah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).

Therein descend the angels and the Rooh [Jibreel (Gabriel)] by Allaah’s Permission with all Decrees,

(All that night), there is peace (and goodness from Allaah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn”[al-Qadr 97:1-5]

Some people also say that in the 2nd year of Hijrah, the direction of Qiblah was changed from Jerusalem to Ka’bah (Makkah) on the 15th day of Sha’ban. This report is also not confirmed by authentic Ahadith.According to most of the scholars of Tafsir, the Qur’an has not mentioned anything about the Sha’ban night. There are some Ahadith that speak about the Middle of Sha’ban and its night. However, the scholars of Hadith say that most of the Ahadith concerning this night are not sound. They are weak (da’if) according to the criteria of the Muhaddithin.

There is only one Hadeeth narrated regarding fasting on the 15th of Sha'baan, the one narrated by Hadhrat 'Ali Radhiallaahu 'Anhu reported in Sunan Ibn Maajah which says:

When the fifteenth night of Sha'baan comes then spend its night in Salaah, and fast its day...

However this Hadeeth has been rated as weak by the Muhadditheen, Moulana Fazlur Rahman Aazmi writes in a booklet of his regarding the 15th of Sha'baan when commenting on this Hadeeth:

This Hadith is however very weak. Some scholars have declared it as Mowdhu' (fabricated). One of the narrators of this Hadith is Ibnu-Abi-Jabrah, who has has been accused of fabricating Ahadith. [Taqrib of Ibnu-Hajar, pg. 396]. Imam Bukhari and others have also proved him to be weak. [Mizanul I'tidal, vol. 5, pg, 503] Thus this Hadith cannot be relied upon. Hence the fasting of this day should not be regarded as Sunnat as such, since a weak narration is not sufficient to prove this fast as being Sunnat. An interesting point, also, is that fasting on this (day) is only discussed in this weak Hadith.

In Haashiyah As-Sanady 'Alaa ibn Maajah which is a Sharh of Ibn Maajah, it states that in Az-Zawaa'id it says the isnaad of the Hadeeth is weak, because of the weakness of Ibn Abi Busrah, whom Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal and Yahya Ibn Mu'een Rahimahumallaah had said forges Hadeeth.

And in Takhreej Ahaadeeth Al-Ihyaa Haafidh al-'Iraaqi Rahimahullaah says it is a false (baatil) Hadeeth, its isnaad is weak.

Imaam Ahmad Ar-Ramli Ash-Shaafi'i Rahimahullaah however has an interesting take on the Hadeeth, in Fataawa Ar-Ramli it's mentioned that he was asked concerning fasting on the 15th of Sha'baan. So he said: It is Sunnah, but it is Sunnah because of it being one of the Ayyaamul Beedh (The white days) which Rasoolullaah Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallam used to observe, but it is not Sunnah in itself like the fast of the tenth of Muharram, so it will be Sunnah if a person fasts it along with the 13th and 14th as the Ayyaamul Beedh, but not if they fast it just on its own.

The Ayyaamul Beedh are the 13th, 14th and 15th of each month, it is established from the Saheeh Ahaadeeth that Rasoolullaah Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallam used to fast on those days, it is reported in Bukhaari and Nasaa'i and the Musnad of Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Hibbaan and Ibn Khuzaimah and others.
It is reported that the Prophet -peace be upon him- used to visit the Muslim cemetery on this evening and he used to pray for the deceased Muslims. These are the things that we learn from some Ahadith about the significance of this night. However, there are many practices and customs common in some Muslim countries, such as making a sweet dish (Halwa), doing fireworks (atish baazi) etc. These things have no meaning and no reference in Ahadith. There are also some superstitious beliefs about this night. For example, some people believe that the spirits (arwah) of the deceased visit their relatives during this night. Some believe that there is a special Tree in the heaven upon whose leaves are the names of all human beings, and whatever leaves drop during this night, those people are destined to die in this year. Some think that the decisions about the life and death of people are made during this night. All these beliefs and superstitions do not belong to the authentic teachings of the Qur’an and Sunnah.We must try to follow the Qur’an and the authentic Sunnah of the blessed Prophet -peace be upon him. It is our duty as Muslims to take advantage of all good occasions to revive our faith, to purify our souls and to increase our love and devotion to Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala, but we must follow the Sunnah of the Prophet -peace be upon him. We must not do anything in our celebrations that is against his teachings.

Reaction score
Then why are special prayers arranged on this night in mosques throughout Bangladesh, India, Pakistan etc........ Why do we fast on this day? Why is the Arab countries so oblivious about Shab-e-Barat? Why do our Imams encourage us to pray on this night? How did this all start and when? Why? How? When? I am finding it hard to integrate all these missing links into one........... If someone knows these answers, please let me and everyone here know. May Allah(swt) guide us, Ameen.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Then why are special prayers arranged on this night in mosques throughout Bangladesh, India, Pakistan etc........ Why do we fast on this day? Why is the Arab countries so oblivious about Shab-e-Barat? Why do our Imams encourage us to pray on this night? How did this all start and when? Why? How? When? I am finding it hard to integrate all these missing links into one........... If someone knows these answers, please let me and everyone here know. May Allah(swt) guide us, Ameen.

You're in doubt right? So leave it.