• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Should I study in Pakistan or not due to Financial Issues?

Reaction score
=>You're doing A Level and Thinking!

Now the important question: Should I study in Pakistan or abroad?

The answer is simple, if you belong to a family with moderate or low income, you should not even consider going abroad. Why?

1. Even with 100% scholarships or financial aid, you still have to spare atleast 4/5 lac Rs a year for your extra costs, traveling, attending events, eating from outside university, shopping etc and there could be other reasons.
  2. Do not believe in the university counselors who tell that you won't have to pay a dime, it's all made up to send you abroad so they can get their commission. You need money to study abroad.
  3. Heavy application costs of applying overseas. Do not think you'll apply to 5 universities and they'll accept you with a full financial aid. (My friends with great grades got rejected from many places,so it's always uncertain)
  4. You need to give SAT1 and SAT2 and their registration cost is around 10k Rs. So if you write both SATs you pay 20k. Though waivers are available so it is subject to your school. Plus you might have to take SAT1 multiple times to get a high score. Extra costs if you take tuition which many do.
  5. You would have to adjust to a hostel life in a totally different country with different culture while it's not a problem to do but earning while studying becomes a problem especially if you have to survive there and in all the tension and stress, somewhere in between, you start losing your grades.
  6. I have seen a lot of people taking upto two,three gap years only because they are unable to get into some college abroad. The gap years may seem beneficial at that moment but 1 year still is a pretty long time. Do not waste away precious years of your life just because you are unable to get into a college of your choice.
Unless there is someone who makes an unconditional promise to afford your studies and pay your fees and you're sure they would OR if you get a scholarship offer that's too generous and too tempting to reject i.e. a 150% scholarship that covers everything from your hostel charges to tuition fees to a one way ticket to Pakistan, then do not take your chance to study in Pakistan.
Persuade your parents and your friends to support you so you can fulfill your dream by paying some amount of your educational costs. If you are totally confident, only then consider the possibility of studying abroad. Anywhere from US, UK to Turkey etc otherwise the best strategy is to do Undergrad from Pakistan and then do Masters abroad since Masters and PhDs are heavily funded.

If you REALLY really want to go outside Pakistan, kindly look into Commonwealth, Fullbright, PEEF and other local scholarships before you research the scholarships offered by the colleges you're interested in. They pretty much cover everything.

=> I have decided to study from Pakistan. Now what?

You read the whole guide that I have made for Engineering/CS universities admissions.
Link to the GUIDE

Last edited: