• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

significant figures in physics p22

Reaction score
I av attempted quite a few physics papers but i'm confused abt the trend of significant figures.
Examiner doesnt really follows the number given in question :S
could anyone help me with it? :S

Reaction score
u have to xpress the significant figures to 3 decimal places unless question asks for the others..
and for ur info
if the question gives numerical values in the powers of 10
then u have to xpress the ans in the same form..
if the ans is 1270 then uve to xpress in the powers of 10..:)

Reaction score
nayy!
i av attempted a few questions in which the examiner gives the answer to 1 significant figure, where as the question gives the values in 2 or 3 significant figures

Reaction score
Two significant figures is the trend i'm seeing in most papers! But to play it safe, 3 s.f. is the best option since in some questions, 1 significant figure is penalised :D

Reaction score
U Look At The Nos. Of Significant Figures Used Or Given At The Questions And Give Your Answers Accordingly =) !!

Reaction score
normally u gv da smae fig as ques or one more but da normal trend is 2 sig fig both in p2 n p5!!!
hope dat ans

Reaction score
I would advice u to write ur answers in the same significant figure (or one more than the given data)...it is the general rule to follow in SF

Reaction score
give your answer to that signiicant figure which is same as question
suppose resistance is given 2.0 and voltage is 8.0 then current will be 4.0 ie same sf,

Reaction score
just stick with 2-3s.f
shud i use calculator values in values used to calculate final anser.....

Reaction score
Incase we give the answer in wrong number of significant figures, will we be penalised for it? :S

Reaction score
i dont no dat but u stick with 2 -3 sig fig ....
@hassam u cd i blv dat ... but dey normally use da rounded off ans ... i hv observed dat in p4
u can round off da final ans if u use calc values....

Reaction score
@cutedevil
i hvnt seen any if i m not wrong
evn if it comes ts bound 2 b simple after al its as level
wat say...?
if uve given da p4 u ll no y m saying simple....

Reaction score
identify the lowest sig. fig. given in the data... then give ur answer equal to or one more sig. fig. than that...

Reaction score
cutedevil said:
heyy does da driving ov equations cum in p2..???
Deriving equations definitely comes, The three equations of motion , 1/2 Fe , these are particularly significant in this regard

Reaction score
Use the least number of S.F used in the data given in the question. CIE would also accept if you use 1 s.f better than that used in question.

For example
Calculate acceleration for car which has started from rest and reached a speed of 18 m/s in 3.5s

The answer would be either 5.1 or 5.12

Reaction score
THE RULE FOR SIGNIFICANT FIGURES:

"Final answer should have equal or 1 significant figure more than the value with least significant figures used/provided in data or calculation."