• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Tips for P1 Physics

Reaction score
And I will make this second post just in case some of you don't get the tag alert...

Reaction score
This time I did get a tag :D :p

I know that P1 for the physics are trickier, not difficult though. For getting a score above 35, you must use your smarts. First, before attempting, make sure you know each and every formula, and how & where to use it. And even if you are unsure sometimes about which formula to use, use the quantities given in the question to give you some hint about which formula to use. Don't jump off to the options straight away. Read the question critically, underlining the keywords in the question. Once you're done with reading, solve the question and then look for the option which matches your answer. Eliminate all those options which are definitely wrong, and then figure out which option is the most suitable from the remaining.

Whenever you make a choice, always ask yourself a simple question: does this answer make sense? If it doesn't, stop and reflect over it again. Time is also an issue. If you get stuck on some question, or you think that it is going to involve a lot of working, leave that question and move on. In the end, come back to that question you had left, and solve that again.

When you're unable to solve a question, by simple formulas, in that case, make simultaneous equations and solve them to arrive at the right answer.
In case quantities given in the question are not in their SI units, first convert them to SI units before going further.

Rest, it all depends on practice. The more practice you do, the better your thinking gets, and the better you perform.

Reaction score
Hi there!
Could you please post tips for A level Physics' MCQ paper? I rarely score above 33:cry:

Rizwan Javed My Name qwertypoiu sj0007 nehaoscar
First of all 33 is not a bad score!
Secondly it's usually practice that helps you to score better ... many of the questions will be similar to those from the previous years so once you get the idea and understand the concept of the topic, you will be able to solve the questions easily!

Now when solving the question do the ones you definitely know the answer to first and leave the ones you don't know last
Make sure you NEVER skip any question cause there is no negative marking so try and make a logical guess
Look over all the 4 options and then make a choice. Don't just look at the first option, thinking it's right and leaving out the other cause sometimes the last one may seem more logical than the first one so ensure you have read through all of them
Also try and cross out the ones you know are wrong so that it's easier to find the right answer

Make sure you have learnt all the formulas from the chapters and make sure you know the key points from all the chapters. You need just the same amount of knowledge in P1 as in P2.

And finally don't panic. Re-check your answers at the end. :)

Reaction score
Hi there!
Could you please post tips for A level Physics' MCQ paper? I rarely score above 33:cry:

Rizwan Javed My Name qwertypoiu sj0007 nehaoscar
Thanks for the tag. The others have already given you great answers so I don't have much to add :)

I'll just say make sure you read the textbook for chapters you get into trouble with in the papers. They are very well explained in the books but many people think it's too many words and don't bother reading.

Good luck

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! Rizwan Javed that advice about the answer making sense is(y)(y). So often, the answer you get is so improbable;this advice will be perfect.

nehaoscar Haha, something above 33 would be even better. I've noticed the repeating pattern: sometimes they lift the entire questiono_O. I get impatient sometimes at the end and don't want to re-check my answers...:confused:

My Name and qwertypoiu Yes. Reading the textbook is good too.:)