• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What to study for English Language 9093?

Reaction score
If anyone has given the AS papers and has gotten an A, I'd like some advice on what to study for it, particularly Paper 1.
I'm self-studying it, so I have no clue what to do, so any help would be appreciated.
I've checked out some of the candidate responses here:
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/English - Language (8693)/8693_English_Language_Example_Candidate_Responses_Booklet_2011.pdf

And they don't seem intent on describing grammatical things, and instead just focusing on what the passage is trying to express, so I assume that's what the examiners want.

Reaction score
If anyone has given the AS papers and has gotten an A, I'd like some advice on what to study for it, particularly Paper 1.
I'm self-studying it, so I have no clue what to do, so any help would be appreciated.
I've checked out some of the candidate responses here:
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/English - Language (8693)/8693_English_Language_Example_Candidate_Responses_Booklet_2011.pdf

And they don't seem intent on describing grammatical things, and instead just focusing on what the passage is trying to express, so I assume that's what the examiners want.
Hello!English AS language is such a panic!All i can say is Go through the Text book And Read "WHAT THE EXAMINERS WANT"and Do's and Don't Which will surely be helpfull,Moreover go through the Sample response and Candidate Responses of Past papers and Solve a Couple of Past papers Every month..! This should Be Worth enough i guess..!

Reaction score
Salaam. English Language is among the more interesting (albeit misunderstood) subjects introduced by the British Council at A' Level. You are perfectly accurate in surmising that the examiners don't want to see a smattering of technical terms in your answer. However, it is only by grasping the technicalities outlined by the course that you will gain a better understanding of the passages themselves. Once you've familiarized yourself with features such as alliteration, onomatopoeia etc., you will be able to phrase your answers in a comprehensive and concise manner.

O' Level English seldom gives students a good grounding in grammar. A' Level Paper 1 goes beyond basic grammar to introduce areas such as passage tone, language features etc. That said, AS level is easy. I'd recommend going for 'English Language and Literature' by Helen Toner and Elizabeth Whittome. Study the portion relevant to Language alone.

Try and read all the passages given in the book - it isn't necessary for you to actually attempt all of them as long as you look through them at least once.

Hope I helped some.

P.S: Above all, do NOT panic. (It should be the 11th commandment.) Have fun with the subject - it's eye-opening in a number of ways.

Reaction score
Salaam. English Language is among the more interesting (albeit misunderstood) subjects introduced by the British Council at A' Level. You are perfectly accurate in surmising that the examiners don't want to see a smattering of technical terms in your answer. However, it is only by grasping the technicalities outlined by the course that you will gain a better understanding of the passages themselves. Once you've familiarized yourself with features such as alliteration, onomatopoeia etc., you will be able to phrase your answers in a comprehensive and concise manner.

O' Level English seldom gives students a good grounding in grammar. A' Level Paper 1 goes beyond basic grammar to introduce areas such as passage tone, language features etc. That said, AS level is easy. I'd recommend going for 'English Language and Literature' by Helen Toner and Elizabeth Whittome. Study the portion relevant to Language alone.

Try and read all the passages given in the book - it isn't necessary for you to actually attempt all of them as long as you look through them at least once.

Hope I helped some.

P.S: Above all, do NOT panic. (It should be the 11th commandment.) Have fun with the subject - it's eye-opening in a number of ways.

Thanks, you've helped a lot! I'm getting the book from my school library. Are you giving A2 English Language?

Reaction score
Glad I could be of some assistance. It really is a wonderful subject. A2? Nope, I'm doing my Bachelors. Did English Language as part of my A' Levels in 2014 - was a guinea pig (of sorts) for the good folks over at the BC as they experimented with the newly extended A2 course. Good times.

Reaction score
Glad I could be of some assistance. It really is a wonderful subject. A2? Nope, I'm doing my Bachelors. Did English Language as part of my A' Levels in 2014 - was a guinea pig (of sorts) for the good folks over at the BC as they experimented with the newly extended A2 course. Good times.
Woah, nice (y)
So, what exactly did you do to prepare for P4? I mean, I don't have my A2 exams until next year, but I still want to know about what people do to prepare for it.

Reaction score
Hi, I did my A'Level Language course in June 2014 too, so I hope I can be of some help to you. Typically you won't find any textbooks specifically designed for P3 and P4, so you're going to have to make do with different resources. It might be a good idea to find articles detailing different theories on, say, gender-based language (e.g. Lakoff or Tanning's points) or social implications of conversation, or different language acquisition theories (I did three main ones, Chomsky, Skinner and Piaget.) Reading up on the theories isn't for you to talk about them in the answers exactly, it's just so you can identify points relating to them in the text and that'll help you expand on those points much more easily. One book you might find helpful for P3 is The Language of Conversation. It's not a textbook, but it's very useful because of its examples.

Reaction score
Hi, I did my A'Level Language course in June 2014 too, so I hope I can be of some help to you. Typically you won't find any textbooks specifically designed for P3 and P4, so you're going to have to make do with different resources. It might be a good idea to find articles detailing different theories on, say, gender-based language (e.g. Lakoff or Tanning's points) or social implications of conversation, or different language acquisition theories (I did three main ones, Chomsky, Skinner and Piaget.) Reading up on the theories isn't for you to talk about them in the answers exactly, it's just so you can identify points relating to them in the text and that'll help you expand on those points much more easily. One book you might find helpful for P3 is The Language of Conversation. It's not a textbook, but it's very useful because of its examples.
Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hi,
can anyone here guide me regarding this component
English - Language AS and A Level (from 2014) (9093)
? is it mandatory to appear for parts in Literature too? I am just not into literature and wants to giv eng.lang.. m unable to comprehend the requirements stated in syllabus since the title says eng language then y is there info givn about literature? so is it mandatory to giv Literature too in order to secure ALEVEL certi?

Reaction score
Hi,
can anyone here guide me regarding this component
English - Language AS and A Level (from 2014) (9093)
? is it mandatory to appear for parts in Literature too? I am just not into literature and wants to giv eng.lang.. m unable to comprehend the requirements stated in syllabus since the title says eng language then y is there info givn about literature? so is it mandatory to giv Literature too in order to secure ALEVEL certi?
The AS Level for 9093 is basically about commentary on passages ( what techniques has the write used for what purpose and why?) and Paper 2 where it is compulsory to do one imaginative writing and one part is based on either discursive or argumentatative ( in different forms).

Reaction score
The AS Level for 9093 is basically about commentary on passages ( what techniques has the write used for what purpose and why?) and Paper 2 where it is compulsory to do one imaginative writing and one part is based on either discursive or argumentatative ( in different forms).
I see, can u refer me some books to make preparation from?
Any tips?

Reaction score
And what A2 paper is about?