• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Angle between tangents/line. Math P1.

Reaction score
I need to know how to calculate the acute/obtuse angles between tangents to a curve or between a tangent and a line. Need urgent help with this.
Questions like this can be found in past papers. N05Q9 And N08Q9. Help Help Help!!! :S

Reaction score
well this is a direct ans to the nov05 q9:
well 1) gradient of a line is also defined as tan of the angle tht line makes with the +ve dir of the x-axis
2) if gradient is +ve angle made is acute and if -ve angle obtuse
3) in this Q both the tangents and the linel have - ve gradients.......

now this is a little hard to explain as i cannot draw..................here goes;
gradient of line=-2..........tan-1(inverse)-2= 63.4
180-63.4 (cuz u need obtuse angle)= 116.6

perform similar procedure for the curve/............gradient= -3............(shift tan) tan-1[inverse]-3=71.6 -------> 190-71.6= 108.4

116.6-108.4-8.2<----ANSWER as all angles in a triangle are 18- deg

REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS GOOD LUCK FOR 2MOROW AND IF SOME1 HAS A BETTER WAY.....PLZ EXPLAIN THNX :D
salam

Reaction score
Thanks man!
I realised the formula was tanQ = gradient.
Now I know it's the same for every question about angles.
Thanks again!

Reaction score
I still dont understand it. what do u mean of using tangent?? :S

Reaction score
I used this. tan(x)=tan(M)-tan(m)/ 1 + tan(M)tan(m)

where M and m are gradients of two lines. Its a p3 formula but hassle free if u memorise it.

Reaction score
There is a simpler formula for this:
tanX= (m1-m2)/(1+m1m2)

where m1 is the gradient of first line and m2 is the gradient of the second line and X=theta

Reaction score
could someone explain this Q.i) b and c from O/N 2009 /12
Its seem that this Question are coming up in recent pastpapers. need help pleaseee!!

Reaction score
coptir said:
There is a simpler formula for this:
tanX= (m1-m2)/(1+m1m2)

where m1 is the gradient of first line and m2 is the gradient of the second line and X=theta

Do u know anywhere which can explain this formula?? as i have never seen it before. it seems new this types of questions :SS :cry:
Tomorrow is exam.

or could u elaborate more to how i can solve this question with that formula

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Do u know anywhere which can explain this formula?? as i have never seen it before. it seems new this types of questions :SS :cry:
Tomorrow is exam.

or could u elaborate more to how i can solve this question with that formula
I'll assume that you know the equations of the two lines, from which you can get their slopes.
Suppose they are m1 and m2. Since the slope of a line is the tangent of its angle of elevation,
the angle between the lines is the difference in the two angles.
Thus, if theta is the angle between, and A and B are the angles of elevation of the two lines,

Tan(theta) = Tan(A-B) = .Tan(A) - Tan(B). = ..m1 - m2..
Tan(theta) = Tan(A-B) = 1 + Tan(A)Tan(B)....1 + m1*m2

Here I used the identity:
Tan(x-y) = [Tan(x) - Tan(y)]/[1 + Tan(x)Tan(y)]

So the angle you are looking for is the inverse tangent of
(m1 - m2)/(1 + m1*m2).

Reaction score
so do i need to calculate the gradient for the 2 lines. and after that how i can calculate the angle between them¿¿

Reaction score
so for these types of questions we just need to calculate the gradient and use the identity???

Reaction score
Its easier if use vectors then no need of subtraction u straight away get the correct answer

Reaction score
The gradient is also defined as Tan (Theta), thus you should find the gradient at a point on the curve and find tan inverse of that gradient. The angel you get is the angel made by the tangent (at that point on the curve) with the x axis, it helps to extend the line to the axis and draw the angel. For a line do the same thing, re-arrange the eq. to find gradient and find the angle. After drawing the angels, they usually form a triangle from which you can calculate the original angle b/w line and curve