• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BSc Accounting and Finance from LUMS or CA?

Reaction score
Today I got accepted For BSc Accounting and Finance program at LUMS. I did apply for Financial aid but I got rejected. Now the thing i want to know is whether I should accept the offer or do Chartered Accountancy? Which option is better?
PS yearly fees of LUMS is 4lakh, while I can do the complete CA in half of that amount. I need urgent help as the deadline to pay the fees is 15th May

Reaction score
I had to google for LUMS.^^'
Choose CA if you want to become a professional accountant, and Accounting and Finance if you wish to move to specialize into branch fields: Forensic, Taxation, Auditing, Actuarial Science, etc.

Reaction score
Today I got accepted For BSc Accounting and Finance program at LUMS. I did apply for Financial aid but I got rejected. Now the thing i want to know is whether I should accept the offer or do Chartered Accountancy? Which option is better?
PS yearly fees of LUMS is 4lakh, while I can do the complete CA in half of that amount. I need urgent help as the deadline to pay the fees is 15th May
Although CA has more value but I would say go for LUMS. Reasons are as following:
1) CA is alot harder and It takes lot of attempts to clear the papers.
2) LUMS is one of the high class university in pakistan and the students graduating from it get good jobs.
P.S: Do tell me your subjects and grades of A levels.

Reaction score
Dear it depends on how well u r in studies as CA is very hard and may take more than 7 years..So it is better go for BSc as LUMS degree is accepted all over Pakistan

Reaction score
Before deciding between Bsc ACF from lums and CA you need to realise what are 'you' interested in. Although Lums program is 'accounting and finance' practically speaking it is more focused towards finance side of a business. Whereas CA is a professional charter for Accounting (directly).

If you are interested in accounting roles such as audit, preparing annual financial statements e.t.c you would be better off with a CA qualification. On the other hand if you are interested in financial aspects of a business i.e raising finance for a firm, risk management e.t.c you would need a degree in finance (read: Bsc Accounting & finance).

However, my opinion was based on the assumption that both CA and lums Bsc Accounting & Finance require same level of skills, time, and hardwork. But, this assumption is not valid as it has been found through experience that no. of people failing CA papers are more in proportion to no. of people failing to complete their ACF degree at Lums.

Now it is up to you to realise your area of interest. Best of luck!

P.S: I am also in the same dilemma as you are and the above expressed opinion/information is based on research I have done on various online forums.

Reaction score
I was going through the same thing and based on my research i would say go for LUMS and then do CA. it would take more time but if CA is something you really want to do, then this would be a good way.
i say this because having a degree is always a safe option and u will be able to attract better job offers when u start the CA course. whereas if u go directly then the emloyers will not be satisfied enough with just A levels, and i am sure ur aware that CA and accounting fields all are about experience and i hope ur also aware tht securing a job is the first step to completing CA
i hope this information helps

Reaction score
My subjects are economics, accounts, mathematics, and general paper. Mashallah I got 4a's in AS. Now im giving Eco, Acc and Maths

Mashallah! what were your grades in o-levels. does LUMS check o-levels ke grades and did it take ur test?

Reaction score
I am starting Alevels I just chose Business economics Maths and Physics
I want to ask are they enough for Accounting and Finance or CA aur or I should replace Physics with accounting

Reaction score
Hey bro, i too am in the same confusion like you were 6 years ago. Would you please tell which option did you choose and was it worth it? Rwply asap please