• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Language

Reaction score
AOA!
I want to know whether it's necessary to mention the word count at the end of a composition? And what happens if we exceed it? Moreover, I would really appreciate any tips for managing time in paper 1 because I take very long to write a composition. Thank you!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
W.S
Not at all!
Word Count doesn't really matter as long as your composition remains interesting and not boring. However, you must not write less than the given word-limit.
Also, spend enough time on this part of the paper, but not at the expense of other questions. The best way to do this is to leave the composition part to the end... and do it in last!

Reaction score
Walaikumasalam, I think that it is better to write the total words at the end of the composition. If you exceed the total limit, then the examiner crosses out the extra words and that obviously means that your composition's ending is ruined. I did the composition first and the report afterwards, and still had about 15 minutes left. But its totally your own choice an the syllabus has been changed from 2011 and onwards.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
so who do i believe? Contrasting statements :/ though i really hope Nibz is right!!

Reaction score
I think it should be mentioned too, there isn't really any harm in mentioning it (as long as you don't waste your time, just multiply the number of lines in your composition with the approximate number of words per line).

Reaction score
okay, but if it is exceeded, is the part after the maximum word limit ignored or is it credited?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Oh come on people!
Honestly, If I were in your shoes, I would not mention any word-limit. Instead I'd recheck my composition in that time (the time I'd waste in just counting the lines or (in worst case) even counting words).
The only part of the paper, where one should take care of the word limit, is the 'Summary Writing Task'. That's it.
However, don't just drag your composition. If you BELIEVE your composition will stay interesting and the interest of the reader won't be diluted by exceeding the limit, go for it.
To tell the truth, it's even rewarded (as managing a lengthy composition along with other paper tasks is not a looser's work). This is what I think.
It's up to you now!

Reaction score
I dont write the word counts, i leave it to the examiner, cuz thats what he/she is there for :p.
As for the word limit thing, suppose the limit is 300-500. Now thats a 200 words window, in which it would be better to stay within, cuz again i repeat, big window. If its like a small window, i suppose exceeding like 20-30 words wont be bad. I mean, the examiner will understand. He'll understand even better if the written thing is really good. All you need to do is make a good impression. Dazzle him. Time management is easy, if you make a mind map, and i dont mean the neat and well-written proper statement form points, just you know, write small points, you'll remember what you have to write next. Dont waste time on this, just write in an illegible manner which u can read. And the rest, do not worry about time, just keep having fun writing. Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Hey abcde in compositions or essays (im sure that is what you mean) you do not need to write any word count at the end as there are so many words and you must have got a idea from how many words you write in each line about your word limit so no need to write the word limit in the end.But it is appreciated if you write in the end of any directed writing question like (article,report and other).You should also write it in the eend of the summary question.Hope it helps.

Reaction score
I think that it is better to right the words at the end. Sure Nibz is right in saying that you could recheck the paper in that time, but it would only take about 1-2 minutes to count the words. And personally I think that one and half hours is more than enough to right a good composition and a report.