• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

FAST or NUST for BSCS?

Reaction score
Hey guys.
So I got admission in both FAST and NUST in BSCS. However, I am confused whether to go to NUST or FAST. I have asked alot of people and they gave me mixed views about the universities. Most preferred FAST because it is top in CS etc However, some also said that FAST is just 'parhai' mainly for hardcore progrrammers and compared to NUST, it has lesser activities,grooming, mediocre environment and is not research oriented. Also, I have heard FAST faculty is changing and lot of good PHD professors have joined ITU or other unis. I checked myself and it was evident that NUST had greater number of teachers who are PHD in CS abroad. Some also say that it is difficult to transfer abroad from FAST than from NUST as professors are mostly inexperienced regarding this matter . I myself am planning to transfer abroad in 2years. However, some say that FAST graduates have better job placements. What are your opinions? Is it better to go to FAST or NUST?

Reaction score
Hey guys.
So I got admission in both FAST and NUST in BSCS. However, I am confused whether to go to NUST or FAST. I have asked alot of people and they gave me mixed views about the universities. Most preferred FAST because it is top in CS etc However, some also said that FAST is just 'parhai' mainly for hardcore progrrammers and compared to NUST, it has lesser activities,grooming, mediocre environment and is not research oriented. Also, I have heard FAST faculty is changing and lot of good PHD professors have joined ITU or other unis. I checked myself and it was evident that NUST had greater number of teachers who are PHD in CS abroad. Some also say that it is difficult to transfer abroad from FAST than from NUST as professors are mostly inexperienced regarding this matter . I myself am planning to transfer abroad in 2years. However, some say that FAST graduates have better job placements. What are your opinions? Is it better to go to FAST or NUST?
Hello Ahad! I am starting my 5th semester at ITU in September so let me clear your doubts. Congratulations on your acceptances, btw.
Like you said, FAST's standard is falling each year and everyone is aware of that. I have studied 4 subjects by ex-Fastian professors in 4 semesters and all of them admitted that they came to ITU because FAST was no longer the same and that ITU is going to be a breakthrough in the CS department of Pakistan and one important reason being totally research oriented.
Now NUST vs FAST:
I am afraid that you have heard absolutely right from your fellows. FAST is pretty much parrhai and parrhai with a mediocre oncampus life and a bad administration. I literally know 5-6 close friends who admit that: "Joining FAST was the worst decision of their lives" but they are stuck. Yes they get a rough experience but by the time they have graduated, they are used to it and thus can work in work-extensive environments that big corporates require sometimes. That's the only advantage of going to FAST. The job placement and stuff is wrong. Not everyone gets a job, only the best ones get with high GPAs and good portfolios. If you are a FASTian with 2.6 cgpa and are average in programming, you think a top-tier company is going to hire you? No.
Forget about the number of PhDs by the way. They are not a good metric for quality of education. At ITU we have had absolutely amazing teachers except for one who was also a PhD but God knows how he became a teacher. He was awful!
I know a graduate from NUST and couple of friends too. So far they have had good experience at NUST. You should know that NUST is Asia's #1 emerging university and that was said by a credible source and also NUST is recognised internationally too so a transfer would be more convenient than compared to FAST. NUST's alumni is good too but CS is not their strongest like you know but it is improving with time. My graduate friend said he had good teachers generally in 4 years but at the end of the day when you're a CS major, it depends on your skills and experience the type of job you will get. University name accounts like 1% to it.

Verdict: I think you should go for NUST if you can afford it. If you go to FAST, you might regret like others too. Remember in CS, you can learn everything from internet so the purpose of an instructor is almost eliminated especially of a bad instructor. Best of luck!

Reaction score
Hello Ahad! I am starting my 5th semester at ITU in September so let me clear your doubts. Congratulations on your acceptances, btw.
Like you said, FAST's standard is falling each year and everyone is aware of that. I have studied 4 subjects by ex-Fastian professors in 4 semesters and all of them admitted that they came to ITU because FAST was no longer the same and that ITU is going to be a breakthrough in the CS department of Pakistan and one important reason being totally research oriented.
Now NUST vs FAST:
I am afraid that you have heard absolutely right from your fellows. FAST is pretty much parrhai and parrhai with a mediocre oncampus life and a bad administration. I literally know 5-6 close friends who admit that: "Joining FAST was the worst decision of their lives" but they are stuck. Yes they get a rough experience but by the time they have graduated, they are used to it and thus can work in work-extensive environments that big corporates require sometimes. That's the only advantage of going to FAST. The job placement and stuff is wrong. Not everyone gets a job, only the best ones get with high GPAs and good portfolios. If you are a FASTian with 2.6 cgpa and are average in programming, you think a top-tier company is going to hire you? No.
Forget about the number of PhDs by the way. They are not a good metric for quality of education. At ITU we have had absolutely amazing teachers except for one who was also a PhD but God knows how he became a teacher. He was awful!
I know a graduate from NUST and couple of friends too. So far they have had good experience at NUST. You should know that NUST is Asia's #1 emerging university and that was said by a credible source and also NUST is recognised internationally too so a transfer would be more convenient than compared to FAST. NUST's alumni is good too but CS is not their strongest like you know but it is improving with time. My graduate friend said he had good teachers generally in 4 years but at the end of the day when you're a CS major, it depends on your skills and experience the type of job you will get. University name accounts like 1% to it.

Verdict: I think you should go for NUST if you can afford it. If you go to FAST, you might regret like others too. Remember in CS, you can learn everything from internet so the purpose of an instructor is almost eliminated especially of a bad instructor. Best of luck!
I am doing 2nd year in software engineering and cant agree more with the last two sentences.Lecturer dsnt matter much in CS,you can learn everything online.Its like 30% covered by lecturers ,the other 70% should be self taught.

Reaction score
I am doing 2nd year in software engineering and cant agree more with the last two sentences.Lecturer dsnt matter much in CS,you can learn everything online.Its like 30% covered by lecturers ,the other 70% should be self taught.
Exactly! When you have YouTube and MIT Open Courseware, bad instructor is never an excuse! :p

Reaction score
Now NUST vs FAST:

Thank you for your reply. It was very informative. Money is not an issue as long as the institution is beneficial for me. However, I just needed to confirm the strength of CS programme in NUST. If possible, could you ask a couple of your friends about the strength of CS programme ? I hesitated as companies prefer FAST graduates over NUST graduates but in the end, it all depends on your skills.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. It was very informative. Money is not an issue as long as the institution is beneficial for me. However, I just needed to confirm the strength of CS programme in NUST. If possible, could you ask a couple of your friends about the strength of CS programme ? I hesitated as companies prefer FAST graduates over NUST graduates but in the end, it all depends on your skills.
I don't need to ask them because I already know that. The CS degree is crafted quite the same way in every university and NUST/FAST is no different. Their strengths are better faculty, amazing on-campus life and links with corporate sector.
Like you just said, at the end of the day CS is a field that can not guarantee that you're well versed in it just because a piece of paper says so. I know people who had low GPAs but were proficient programmers and got x10 better job placements than those with higher GPAs and low to average practical skills. I am sure you will have a great time at NUST. FAST is past its prime time now. In a couple of years it'll be only LUMS, ITU and NUST that'll be considered as CS preferences. Plus you are going to get a transfer to a foreign university so good luck with that too! (y)