• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

future options after o levels for business students?

Reaction score
i needed your guidance regarding the best career opportunities for me in Pakistan. i just gave my papers of O levels with Business, Accounts and Economics as my subjects. now i am bitterly confused with whether to go for ACCA, CA, MBA or CIMA [whatever it is, i dont really know much about it]. my interest is mainly in doing A Levels first and then going for business management but rumors of MBA as being worthless has made me reconsider whether it will be beneficial for me to follow my interest or not.
So, if you can guide me what to do, which qualification to choose, keeping in mind the future potential of Pakistan economy, as i have no plans of going abroad, it will be quite a help for me. thanks

Reaction score
i needed your guidance regarding the best career opportunities for me in Pakistan. i just gave my papers of O levels with Business, Accounts and Economics as my subjects. now i am bitterly confused with whether to go for ACCA, CA, MBA or CIMA [whatever it is, i dont really know much about it]. my interest is mainly in doing A Levels first and then going for business management but rumors of MBA as being worthless has made me reconsider whether it will be beneficial for me to follow my interest or not.
So, if you can guide me what to do, which qualification to choose, keeping in mind the future potential of Pakistan economy, as i have no plans of going abroad, it will be quite a help for me. thanks

u have selected a good subject choice

Reaction score
MBA only has value if you do it from 'high ranking' universities like 'LUMS' or 'IBA' etc.

Reaction score
Well i am doing home schooling, eco, b.s com.. totally on my own and so
i think if you really want to get something very efficient then do mba, i will do it in IT, great scope
while if you are secure with a future then go for economics PhD or ACCA. etc

Reaction score
MBA from a top school will always benefit you. ACCA/CA should be chosen only if your main interest is accounting. To be on the finance, analytics, leadership positions within businesses you are better of with an undergrad in economics and a post grad in either MSc Finance and Economics or MBA finance. The latter is more preferred. A PhD won't give you as much return as much work you put in to get it as compared to an MBA with experience. Also in Pakistan research will take a "LOT" of time to go to the next level where you can cash in your PhD.

Also, rather than listening to people browse around websites of some big companies/banks of Pakistan and see the profiles of their board of directors/high rank professionals. You'll come across that most of them have an MBA from a top school and an undergrad in an Economics/Business related field (mostly from a foreign uni, but top schools of Pak are there too).

Third thing you need to consider is links, that's the reality of Pakistan's system, links are almost a pre-requisite (although more or less things happen undercover) but to get a high paying job you'll need strong links. If that's not the case then you should try opting for CA/ACCA instead as firms hire accountants on a real-time bases but over the long run the growth rate of salaries will not be as huge as you can with the previous profile.

In North America i.e. US/Canada things happen quite differently where you do your degree side by side you gain work experience and firms are going to employ you after departmental internships or by direct application after graduation. Whereas the system is not transparent like that in Pakistan. So, you need to think along these lines.

At your age this might seem too much of a complexity but that's the kind of world you're going to face in the future so you should be prepared.

Reaction score
And just to add you cannot do a PhD in economics without a terminal masters in Economics/Mathematics or a related highly mathematical field.

Linear algebra 1 and 2, calculus 1,2,3, real analysis, statistics, econometrics, game theory are pretty long courses that you need to clear before you can do a PhD in Economics but career wise still an MBA will do you more good despite of being shorter and easier than PhD in Economics, this applies anywhere in the world and is also suggested by Harvard's economics professor Greg Mankiw. So, a PhD is basically for those who have interest in being university professors, writing books, spending hours into research etc

Reaction score
Which subjects are you going to take in a levels and these are the ones you are going to take then I've heard that taking business studies and economics at the same time reduces it's credits