• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

help please!

Reaction score
can somebody please explain (i) what outliers are because i dont know how to analyse when given to calculate !
(ii) how do we analyse standard deviation values in a data?
thanks dor your cooperation .

Reaction score
Outliers are "extreme" values that do not generally fit the trend of the given data. For example, assume a data set: 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,74. Did you notice the outlier? Yes, its 74. Assume further that the question asked you to calculate the median. As the data is already arranged in ascending order the median will be 14. Whatever the outlier the median will not be affected. But when you take the mean of the data set you will see that the outlier has a huge impact on the answer. So, we have to exclude outliers when calculating the mean.

Standard deviation shows you the spread of data around the mean. Assume again that a data set has a mean 12 and S.D 4. We can therefore get to know that 95% of our values will be in the range 8-16. i.e. 12+4 =16 and 12- 4 = 8. Doing this increases the reliability of our calculation. (remember reliability and not accuracy).

Reaction score
oh! thanks a gazillion! i never knew about excluding outliers when calculating mean and also thank you for S.D !! thanks zohaib!:)

Reaction score
duz any1 knw hw i get physics o/l markschemes? im soo lost!