• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

logic test 3

Reaction score
okay this one's from a movie.....
you have 2 containers one of 5 litres and the other of 3 litres.....you have to provide water of exactly 4 litres...you dont have any other container ..and u can use a limitless supply of water.How exactly will u complete the task

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Asssalamoalaikum!!
I'm sure my method works :cool: Fill exactly half of the 5 litre container..then fill half of the 3 litre container and add it to the five litre one....5/2 + 3/2 = 4 ;)

Reaction score
sorry....there are no markings on the containers...so u cannot fill an exact half..try again math_angel ;)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
ok ....then....u can fill the 5 litre one completely...remove 3 litres ...by filling the 3 litre one from 5 litre one...so u have only two litres remaining..repeat this twice...this will end up with 4litres :)

Reaction score
use the 3 liters basket and fill the container 4 times with it to make it 12 liters , then use 5 liters basket to extract 5 liters from container , remaining 7 liters in the container , then use 3 liters basket to extract 3 liters more and the remaining water would be 4 Liters Exactly

Mathematical form

3 x 4 = 12
12 - 5 = 7
7 - 3 =4

Reaction score
@uxair.. arent v provided wid just two containers? how will u fill d 3 litre container 4 tyms??

Reaction score
yeah moeexa is right......we have only these 2 containers...
@math_angl: we cannot repeat the steps as the 5 litre container already contains 2 litres of water.....try again!

Reaction score
I think I got it :D :

1.Fill 3 litre one with water
2.Pour it in 5 litre
3.Fill 3 litre one with water again
4.Pour it again in 5 litre but this time you have one litre remaing in 3 litre container
5.Drain out the 5 liter one
6.Now pour the one liter which is in 3 litre container in 5 litre container.
7.Now 5 litre container have 1 litre while 3 litre is empty
8.Add 3 litre more to the one litre in 5 litre container

And you get 4 litre :cool:

Reaction score
great work Anon....actually there r many ways of doing this...
1. Fill the 5 litre container
2. Pour 3 litres into the 3 litre container ...leaving you with 2 in 5 litre container...discharge all the water filled in 3 litres container.
3. Pour the 2 litres of water into 3 litres container ...leaving you with an empty space of 1 litre in 3 litre container.
4. fill the 5 litre container.
5. Pour the water from 5 litre container to fill the left space in 3 litre container.
6. Results: 4 litres of water in 5 litres container.....
so let's keep on posting your different ways of obtaining 4 litres of water....