• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Math problem >.<

Reaction score
hi ... i need some help please in the ''sets'' lesson in math i use ''the extended mathematics for IGCSE'' book .

the problem :
in a street of 150 houses, three different newspapers are delivered: T , G and M of these, 40 receive T, 35 receive G and 60 receive M. 7 receive T and G , 10 receive G and M and 4 receive T and M, 34 receive no paper at all. how many receive all three?
NOTE: if ''7 receive T and G'' this information doesnt mean 7 receive T and G only.

please help me i dont know how to solve this kind of problems at all ,and please show me the answer with steps not only the final answer i know what it is but i dont know the steps :) and thnx you for your time .

Reaction score
okaaay..let me see if I can solve it for you....We're doing the same thing :]
draw the universal set and three circles in it. G will share a part of it with M and another part with T. T will share a part of it with M.
:/ then put 34 in the universal set in no circle.....then I got confuussssseeeddd xD why don't you send me the answer please :S
sorry for the incomplete answer but the last note is ruining the whole answer :[

Reaction score
according to my calculation the equation is....
40-x+7+35+10-x+60+4=150
which makes x to be 3.
Is that the right answer ramram?

Reaction score
Chem_master said:
according to my calculation the equation is....
40-x+7+35+10-x+60+4=150
which makes x to be 3.
Is that the right answer ramram?
chem. master, I think you went faaar away from the q. cuz it's a sets questions and ven diagram thing
so there's no X for you to find its value :p
or you were finding some particular part of the diagram, weren't you??

Reaction score
no actually Chem_master is so near to the answer but its 2 not 3 and i have used his same equation but i cant make it 2 do you think it might be a mistake or something ?? cauz i tried everyhting but it never give 2 and i think we didnt use the note that he wrote in the problem... i dont understand :D it but i think its important.

Reaction score
here you go.... !!!

let 'x' be the houses receiving all the three newspapers...

so work out a Venn diagram ...

Solve by adding all and equating to 150 and you get your answer that is "2" ...

Attachments

• hgh.jpg
    hgh.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 445

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
i'm so sorry!! i didnt notice u all r stuck with this question!! anyways i have checked and beacon_of_light has done it correct...if u have any confusions....dont hesitate to ask!! :)

Reaction score
thanks alot beacon_of_light and everyone too for your time but i have one little thing to ask about sorry this lesson is confusing me alot >.<
in T beacon_of_light put 29+x but why i thought T recived 40 so it should be 40-x so why did we write 29+x ? i know his one is right but i realy dont understand why.

Reaction score
beacon_of_light said:
here you go.... !!!

let 'x' be the houses receiving all the three newspapers...

so work out a Venn diagram ...

Solve by adding all and equating to 150 and you get your answer that is "2" ...
ohhh yeah riggght you're amazing :p
never thought of it this way xD

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
ramram said:
thanks alot beacon_of_light and everyone too for your time but i have one little thing to ask about sorry this lesson is confusing me alot >.<
in T beacon_of_light put 29+x but why i thought T recived 40 so it should be 40-x so why did we write 29+x ? i know his one is right but i realy dont understand why.

ok if u have problem forthat ...lets suppose that area be y so adding up all eg in T shud give 40 so
y + 7 - x + 4 - x + x = 40
y + 11 - x = 40
y = 40 - 11 + x
y = 29 + x

so hope its cleared now...this is the reasoning :)