• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

NOV:09 2nd varient

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
for Q 6v .SO3 is dissolved in conc. H2SO4 and then diluted with water.why isnt SO3 directly added to water?
can we write the ans. that reaction is too exothermic,is it acceptable?

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
for Q 6v .SO3 is dissolved in conc. H2SO4 and then diluted with water.why isnt SO3 directly added to water?
can we write the ans. that reaction is too exothermic,is it acceptable?

I didn't start studying chemistry yet ... but SO3 is a covalent compound that does not dissolve in Water?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
no actually the reason is the reacton with water directly is reaction will be too violent so i wanted to know whether we can write too exothermic?

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
no actually the reason is the reacton with water directly is reaction will be too violent so i wanted to know whether we can write too exothermic?

A violent reaction , that means it is exothermic.

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
no actually the reason is the reaction with water directly is reaction will be too violent so i wanted to know whether we can write too exothermic?

SO3 is not added to water because the reaction would be highly exothermic forming a thick mist of Sulphuric acid which is difficult to bring down, another reason is also because SO3 is sparingly soluble in water.

Reaction score
[*][*]ASSALAmun alaikum,
My dear brother/sister
To be at the safer side write it forms poisonous mist or fume and also it's too exothermic that all H2SO4 will evaporate[b][/b].

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Waalaikumassalam,JazkAllah khair for helping,everyone!