• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Permutation, combination and probability

Reaction score
After doing so many past year, I found out that questions on permutation and combination and vary a lot, while probability I still can manage to solve easily.
What are the important thing that we need to look after and consider while doing permutation and combination? Is there any tips? I mean, there will sure be a way to identify when to use this and that right? Are there any classification of the ways that we can do these questions? So, please help me. Thanks.

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
In English we use the word "combination" loosely, without thinking if the order of things is important. In other words:

> "My fruit salad is a combination of apples, grapes and bananas".
> We don't care what order the fruits are in, they could also be "bananas, grapes and apples"
> or "grapes, apples and bananas", its the same fruit salad.

> "The combination to the safe was 472".
> Now we do care about the order. "724" would not work, nor would "247". It has to be exactly 4-7-2.

So, in Mathematics we use more precise language:
>If the order doesn't matter, it is a Combination.
>If the order does matter it is a Permutation.

Reaction score
I know when to use permutation and combination already. Just that there are a lot of different examples of how they are being used DIFFERENTLY. That's the thing i want to find out. Thanks :)