• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

The New %UM System Used By CIE

Reaction score
After some searching I have finally discovered what this whole %UM saga is about.

Your %UM is not the raw marks or percentage mark that you scored, it is a way for CIE to assess the difficulty of each component and compare them on the same marking scale.

For example in Component 1 of an exam you may have scored 86% because that exam was slightly easier than normal.
However in Component 3 you may have only scored 74% because the exam was harder than expected.

In order for CIE to compare the relative difficulty of papers without compromising your marks from now onwards they will use the %UM system whereby your mark in each component will be converted to a %UM. For example in the easy component 1 84% could be equal to a %UM of 90% (The minimum for A*).

However because Component 3 was HARDER you would only need say 74% for a 90%UM (A* again). CIE then add your %UM to give you an overall grade, the %UM's for grades have been listed below by me:

A* = 90%UM
A = 80%UM
B = 70%UM
C = 60%UM
etc.

I hope this clarifies things once and for all.

I would just like to add that in the past CIE has used a 'curve' system to state where the grade boundaries lie. However this can be inaccurate in giving an overall grade in some exams that have lots of components (eg. languages that have 4) or in exams with coursework components because some components may have been easier/harder than others so it is unfair to compare them on the same scale. The new %UM system seeks to resolve this problem and is set to be used in all CIE exams.

Reaction score
HyDraZin3 said:
Do u know how much percentage is 90%UM for subjects like ICT and Maths ?

The actual score required to achieve certain grades will vary from session to session.

Reaction score
HyDraZin3 said:
Do u know how much percentage is 90%UM for subjects like ICT and Maths ?

It is impossible to say what percentage will equal a particular %UM. The conversion is decided for each component by CIE themselves once they have assessed the relative difficulty of each exam - this can only be done once all the results have been taken into account. CIE will then draw up a graph of %UM against actual raw marks for each component in order to calculate what %UM you achieved for each component.