• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Academic IELTS Writing tips on how to get Band 7.5+

Reaction score
Hi All, I wanna share with you guys some experience on how to get band 7.5 writing

This isn’t, in fact, my weakness. But this skill is difficult to self-study. You need to go to English center where there are teachers who are willing to check your writing. Here are some suggestions I can think of, it maybe can’t help you out. But do your best, you will be fine.
1. Before writing an essay, you must know its basic structure. I love Academic writing Practice for IELTS by Sam McCarter. If you target 7+, stick with this book, really HELPFUL. Besides, you should find essays written by band 7+ achievers to see how they develop their essay topics and try to learn good structures and vocabulary from their writing. (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/199-acad ... 83744?mt=8)

2. Many like starting task 2 first, but in my opinion, you should do the test in order, i.e. task 1 first, then task 2. This will give you the confident feeling that you ALREADY HAFL WAY COMPLETED.

3. Don’t waste too much time on Task 1. Learn all specific writing structure for each type of task 1. In the real test, you just have to apply that structure with new data and suitable verb tenses. Read sample essays and take note good structure to have a wide range of academic structures for task 1. You should also have your own templates for task 2, that will save much of your time in the real test. For example, you may prepare the introduction for a cause & effect essay like: "The issue of ……….attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility/variety and complexity/intricacy of the factors, I would pore over/demonstrate some of the most striking/profound ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

You then can use this template in almost any essay of this kind, for instance "The issue of overpopulation attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility and intricacy of the factors, I would pore over some of the most striking ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

4. You must complete both tasks. I don’t care how difficult the test is, I don’t care how little time you got. You MUST complete your test at any cost. If you don’t, you will be penalized very heavily.

5. Again, practice writing. Do both 2 tasks in one hour. You can focus only on task 1 or task 2, but before the test, you should practice writing both tasks to familiar with time limit.

6. Practice makes perfect. In writing, this statement is completely true. But it is better if there is someone to check writing for you and you can learn from your mistakes.

7. Writing requires wide academic vocabulary. You also have to buy a vocabulary book to work on and enrich your vocabulary.

8. Avoid all informal ways of writing. There are some rules of writing you should follow. For example: no abbreviations, no 1st and 2nd pronoun or possessive (I, you, me, my, your), except in conclusion where you have to state your opinion.

9. Each body paragraph has to include: topic sentence, supporting sentences (2-3 sentences), development sentences (evidence: example, experience, data). In many languages (English included), there are many ways to develop a body paragraph, which results that topic sentence is not the first sentence. But you are advised to put topic sentence at the beginning of each body paragraph. Don’t be creative in this case.

That is all I can think of. I hope you will be lucky in your exam and what I wrote will help you in one way or another.

Reaction score
Can you please explain your ninth point. I dont know what topic sentence is and other terms. I am going to be giving my exams and i need help on writing and reading as much as i can get. will appreciate

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks :) really appreciate that you like it. I do make some mistakes like stretching out a sentence. Etc. I'll have to work on it, btw I was wondering when do we get our ielts results back? Like my speaking is on the 9th and the rest is on the 13th so when should I expect them to send me the result with the certificate? Plus if anyone has any good tipps and website for gaining 7.5 bandscore do post :)

Reaction score
hey all! i got an 7.5 band, i know its a rare case but it happened, and its only cause of PACANS institute that i was able to pull this off. its truly, it has its branches in 34 cities, even though i did my course online! do visit the site, all kinds of notes are available. www.pacans.com

Reaction score
hey all! i got an 7.5 band, i know its a rare case but it happened, and its only cause of PACANS institute that i was able to pull this off. its truly, it has its branches in 34 cities, even though i did my course online! do visit the site, all kinds of notes are available. www.pacans.com[/quote] I got 7 without using PACANS or buying a book, trust me if you have good vocabulary and good speaking skills, you dont need to waste money on centres , just saying.

Reaction score
can ne1 post Academic writing Practice for IELTS by Sam McCarter....plz

Reaction score
hey there.... is there any other book through which we can prepare for ielts??or is the Academic writing Practice for IELTS by Sam McCarter best one?? and there is no need for any other thing to practice from?? plzz reply.. :)

Reaction score
Want to Pass IELTS 1st Time Scoring 7 on Each Band

Visit >>>>> ieltsebooks.blogspot <<<<<<

IELTSeBooks.blogspot.com has everything you need to prepare for the IELTS exam by yourself. The whole idea of this blog is to remind you that you’re not alone, to share knowledge and experience and to be a place where we help one another improve our English. Downloads best collection of IELTS Books at one place along with popular Oxford and Cambridge Books including Dictionaries, English Grammars, English Vocabulary and many more.

Jaf

Reaction score
I got an 8.5 on writing a couple of months back and I don't find my writing to be above average. Don't worry, it's not that hard. Just build your vocab. In fact, write out your essay in the language you please first. When you're done, you probably will have more than sufficient time to edit your essay and add better vocabulary. Of course this means you should use a pencil to write the essay (you can use a pen but don't).
I remember that I had over 30 minutes left after I had finished both my tasks and spent the last 15 minutes peeking into others' papers to see how much they've all written. :p

Oh and don't sweat the topic. It's usually very broad - one you can write lots and lots about. MY topic was along the lines of: if the government should be responsible for the care of retired citizens. A friend who sat on a different date told me his topic was: if the youth should help around in the house, doing chores etc.

Good luck!!

Reaction score
I am really bad at academic reading session and while writing Task 1 i usually make mistakes with preposition. No matter how many times i try I fail. So, Can you give me some suggestions?

Reaction score
I am really bad at academic reading session and while writing Task 1 i usually make mistakes with preposition. No matter how many times i try I fail. So, Can you give me some suggestions?

Reading takes practice. I found the book "Insight into Ielts" and ielts-simon.com useful for reading practice. As for prepositions, memorize these simple rules help and apply them when practicing task 1.

1. Use 'to' when describing what happened to a number.
E.g. In 2010, the rate of unemployment rose to 15%

2. Use 'by' when describing amount of change between two numbers.
E.g. In 2011, the rate of unemployment fell by 2% (from 15% to 13%)

3. Use 'at' to add the number at the end of a sentence.
E.g. Unemployment reached its highest levels in 2010 at 15%.

4. Use 'with' to give idea of having the number.
E.g. Obama won the election with 52% of the vote.

5. Use 'of' to describe number percentages.
E.g. 6% of single aged people were living in poverty.

Also, do not use 'of ' when a number comes with words like
thousands, millions and billions etc.
E.g.
Wrong: 10 millions people/ 10 millions of people travel abroad each year.
Correct: 10 million people travel abroad each year.

However, use 'of ' when there is no number present.
E.g.
Wrong: Millions people travel abroad each year.
Correct: Millions of people travel abroad each year.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Hi All, I wanna share with you guys some experience on how to get band 7.5 writing

This isn’t, in fact, my weakness. But this skill is difficult to self-study. You need to go to English center where there are teachers who are willing to check your writing. Here are some suggestions I can think of, it maybe can’t help you out. But do your best, you will be fine.
1. Before writing an essay, you must know its basic structure. I love Academic writing Practice for IELTS by Sam McCarter. If you target 7+, stick with this book, really HELPFUL. Besides, you should find essays written by band 7+ achievers to see how they develop their essay topics and try to learn good structures and vocabulary from their writing. (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/199-acad ... 83744?mt=8)

2. Many like starting task 2 first, but in my opinion, you should do the test in order, i.e. task 1 first, then task 2. This will give you the confident feeling that you ALREADY HAFL WAY COMPLETED.

3. Don’t waste too much time on Task 1. Learn all specific writing structure for each type of task 1. In the real test, you just have to apply that structure with new data and suitable verb tenses. Read sample essays and take note good structure to have a wide range of academic structures for task 1. You should also have your own templates for task 2, that will save much of your time in the real test. For example, you may prepare the introduction for a cause & effect essay like: "The issue of ……….attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility/variety and complexity/intricacy of the factors, I would pore over/demonstrate some of the most striking/profound ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

You then can use this template in almost any essay of this kind, for instance "The issue of overpopulation attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility and intricacy of the factors, I would pore over some of the most striking ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

4. You must complete both tasks. I don’t care how difficult the test is, I don’t care how little time you got. You MUST complete your test at any cost. If you don’t, you will be penalized very heavily.

5. Again, practice writing. Do both 2 tasks in one hour. You can focus only on task 1 or task 2, but before the test, you should practice writing both tasks to familiar with time limit.

6. Practice makes perfect. In writing, this statement is completely true. But it is better if there is someone to check writing for you and you can learn from your mistakes.

7. Writing requires wide academic vocabulary. You also have to buy a vocabulary book to work on and enrich your vocabulary.

8. Avoid all informal ways of writing. There are some rules of writing you should follow. For example: no abbreviations, no 1st and 2nd pronoun or possessive (I, you, me, my, your), except in conclusion where you have to state your opinion.

9. Each body paragraph has to include: topic sentence, supporting sentences (2-3 sentences), development sentences (evidence: example, experience, data). In many languages (English included), there are many ways to develop a body paragraph, which results that topic sentence is not the first sentence. But you are advised to put topic sentence at the beginning of each body paragraph. Don’t be creative in this case.

That is all I can think of. I hope you will be lucky in your exam and what I wrote will help you in one way or another.

Thank you so much! :) These tips are really good.

Reaction score

really informative. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the information you shared. For me Writing and Listening section is easy . But I generally feel problem with my speaking section. May be this is because i am not able to develop ideas when examiner asks me a cue card. Thinking to opt private tuition classes . So that i can score better bands.

Reaction score
In academic studies, writing a good essay reflect your thought and understanding of given topics. The quality term paper writing skills are very important to give new dimension in your term paper writing assignments to buy term papers online. The excellent term paper writing needs proper guidance either from your school teachers, or from professional term paper writers from online educational websites. These expert online writers give valuable guidance and writing tips about your academic term paper writing assignments.

Reaction score
hey is there any minimum age limit for ilets........my teachers insist me on taking ilets.I am 15

Reaction score
special note : Intelligence has to do with the soul, not simply with the brain.

Take electricity, for example. Electricity moves between gross elements and through a gross wire. But the electricity itself -- it is not those elements, not that wire. It is subtle.

Reaction score
Practical Explanation ( For Example ) :- `1st of all can you tell me every single seconds detail from that time when you born ?? ( i need every seconds detail ?? that what- what you have thought and done on every single second )

can you tell me every single detail of your `1 cheapest Minute Or your whole hour, day, week, month, year or your whole life ??

if you are not able to tell me about this life then what proof do you have that you didn't forget your past ? and that you will not forget this present life in the future ?

that is Fact that Supreme Lord Krishna exists but we posses no such intelligence to understand him.
there is also next life. and i already proved you that no scientist, no politician, no so-called intelligent man in this world is able to understand this Truth. cuz they are imagining. and you cannot imagine what is god, who is god, what is after life etc.
_______
for example :Your father existed before your birth. you cannot say that before your birth your father don,t exists.

So you have to ask from mother, "Who is my father?" And if she says, "This gentleman is your father," then it is all right. It is easy.
Otherwise, if you makes research, "Who is my father?" go on searching for life; you'll never find your father.

( now maybe...maybe you will say that i will search my father from D.N.A, or i will prove it by photo's, or many other thing's which i will get from my mother and prove it that who is my Real father.{ So you have to believe the authority. who is that authority ? she is your mother. you cannot claim of any photo's, D.N.A or many other things without authority ( or ur mother ).

if you will show D.N.A, photo's, and many other proofs from other women then your mother. then what is use of those proofs ??} )

same you have to follow real authority. "Whatever You have spoken, I accept it," Then there is no difficulty. And You are accepted by Devala, Narada, Vyasa, and You are speaking Yourself, and later on, all the acaryas have accepted. Then I'll follow.
I'll have to follow great personalities. The same reason mother says, this gentleman is my father. That's all. Finish business. Where is the necessity of making research? All authorities accept Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. You accept it; then your searching after God is finished.

Why should you waste your time?
_______
all that is you need is to hear from authority ( same like mother ). and i heard this truth from authority " Srila Prabhupada " he is my spiritual master.
im not talking these all things from my own.

in this world no `1 can be Peace full. this is all along Fact.

cuz we all are suffering in this world 4 Problems which are Disease, Old age, Death, and Birth after Birth.

tell me are you really happy ?? you can,t be happy if you will ignore these 4 main problem. then still you will be Forced by Nature.

if you really want to be happy then follow these 6 Things which are No illicit sex, No gambling, No drugs ( No tea & coffee ), No meat-eating ( No onion & garlic's )

5th thing is whatever you eat `1st offer it to Supreme Lord Krishna. ( if you know it what is Guru parama-para then offer them food not direct Supreme Lord Krishna )

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
If your not able to follow these 4 things no illicit sex, no gambling, no drugs, no meat-eating then don,t worry but chanting of this holy name ( Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra ) is very-very and very important.

Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare " and be happy.

if you still don,t believe on me then chant any other name for 5 Min's and chant this holy name for 5 Min's and you will see effect. i promise you it works And chanting at least 16 rounds ( each round of 108 beads ) of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra daily.
Here is no Question of Holy Books quotes, Personal Experiences, Faith or Belief. i accept that Sometimes Faith is also Blind. Here is already Practical explanation which already proved that every`1 else in this world is nothing more then Busy Foolish and totally idiot.
every `1 is already Blind in this world and if you will follow another Blind then you both will fall in hole. so try to follow that person who have Spiritual Eyes who can Guide you on Actual Right Path. ( my Authority & Guide is my Spiritual Master " Srila Prabhupada " )
read it complete. ( i promise only readers of this book that they { he/she } will get every single answer which they want to know about why im in this material world, who im, what will happen after this life, what is best thing which will make Human Life Perfect, and what is perfection of Human Life. ) purpose of human life is not to live like animal cuz every`1 at present time doing 4 thing which are sleeping, eating, sex & fear. purpose of human life is to become freed from Birth after birth, Old Age, Disease, and Death.