• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Add math

Reaction score
I want to know how to differentiate between permutation and combination????????????????I dont know which is which but I know how to do them

Reaction score
permutation needs to be applied where arrangements are to be made..
combinations are applied when selections are to be done

see.. wen in a race.. it is going to be important to know who came first and second third and so on.. u need to arrange the candidates. therefre permutations are applied.. where order matters
and wen basic selections are to be made. then comes combination.. where order doesnt matter! can be selected in any way

Reaction score
it is simple...in combinations you simply have to select and dont worry about the order in which you select...
For example there are 10 people and you have to select 4 so simple 10C4, it does not matter who you select first or second....

In permutations the order of selection matters which means you have to arrange somethings in order for eg..in a row of people 1st is boy and 2nd is girl so you have to order your arrangement to find the no. of ways this can be done..