• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AICT or Computing?

Reaction score
If you are wanting to go into computing side in the future (Progamming, web designing etc) - then which is better? I did IGCSE ICT over Computer Studies in O Levels.

What about the possibility of doing both?

Reaction score
If you are wanting to go into computing side in the future (Progamming, web designing etc) - then which is better? I did IGCSE ICT over Computer Studies in O Levels.

What about the possibility of doing both?
The aim of the CIE A Level Computing syllabus is to develop an understanding of how computers are used to solve a wide range of problems. The students who opt for Computing get to investigate a variety of different computers, and also look at the ways that computers are organized in terms of software, data, hardware, communications and people. This helps them to develop the skills necessary to apply their understanding to the development of computer-based solutions. As they progress, they learn about the main principles of systems analysis and design, looking at different methods of problem formulation, and the planning of solutions. They also consider systematic methods of solution implementation, testing and documentation. So Computing is definitely the preferable choice if you want to pursue a career in Computer Science.

AICT, on the other hand, will allow you to learn to apply a broad range of ICT skills, while also gaining an understanding of the way ICT is used in the world of work.
The syllabus will introduce you to the structure and use of ICT systems within a wide range of organizations, including the use of a variety of computer networks. As a result, you will get to understand ICT system life cycles, and how these affect the workplace. You will also gain an understanding of the wider impact of ICT on society in general. As you can see, AICT is basically a business subject. It has very little to do with the core concepts of Computer Science and it does not have any programming either, so don't take it. Doing both will be a waste of time because universities won't give much credit for it as there are many overlaps between the two syllabi.

The relative difficulty level between the two subjects is debatable although most people agree that Computing is harder. And since you have done ICT in IGCSE, AICT might seem the easier option. However, I would recommend you to choose whichever is more relevant to your future career aspirations rather than seeking to opt for the easier choice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The aim of the CIE A Level Computing syllabus is to develop an understanding of how computers are used to solve a wide range of problems. The students who opt for Computing get to investigate a variety of different computers, and also look at the ways that computers are organized in terms of software, data, hardware, communications and people. This helps them to develop the skills necessary to apply their understanding to the development of computer-based solutions. As they progress, they learn about the main principles of systems analysis and design, looking at different methods of problem formulation, and the planning of solutions. They also consider systematic methods of solution implementation, testing and documentation. So Computing is definitely the preferable choice if you want to pursue a career in Computer Science.

AICT, on the other hand, will allow you to learn to apply a broad range of ICT skills, while also gaining an understanding of the way ICT is used in the world of work.
The syllabus will introduce you to the structure and use of ICT systems within a wide range of organizations, including the use of a variety of computer networks. As a result, you will get to understand ICT system life cycles, and how these affect the workplace. You will also gain an understanding of the wider impact of ICT on society in general. As you can see, AICT is basically a business subject. It has very little to do with the core concepts of Computer Science and it does not have any programming either, so don't take it. Doing both will be a waste of time because universities won't give much credit for it as there are many overlaps between the two syllabi.

The relative difficulty level between the two subjects is debatable although most people agree that Computing is harder. And since you have done ICT in IGCSE, AICT might seem the easier option. However, I would recommend you to choose whichever is more relevant to your future career aspirations rather than seeking to opt for the easier choice.

Thanks a lot. I have decided Computing.

Reaction score
I'll check them out. Though syllabus has changed. Computing no longer exists - Computer Science has taken its place.
Yes, I know. You guys are lucky - the new syllabus is better in terms of content and rigor, plus you don't have to worry about the project at the end of your A2. But it does have some overlap with the old syllabus, so the notes are worth a look. By the way, are you really from Dortmund?

Reaction score
Yes, I know. You guys are lucky - the new syllabus is better in terms of content and rigor, plus you don't have to worry about the project at the end of your A2. But it does have some overlap with the old syllabus, so the notes are worth a look. By the way, are you really from Dortmund?

MarcoReus is a Borussia Dortmund player. I am from the subcontinent.

Reaction score
I know that, but why did you set your location as Dortmund? :LOL: You must be a Dortmund fanatic, aren't you? :D I support Bayern by the way :sneaky: Where in the subcontinent are you from?

No, I am a Chelsea fan. Seeing you are Bayern - I got a date for you. 19.5.12. (Drogbaaaaaaa :D). I just set it as Dortmund because its cool. I am from Pakistan.

I hate how Bayern get whoever they want in Germany. :( They'll replace Ribery with Draxler or Reus.

Reaction score
And before you say - I am not a glory hunter. Liked Reus since his Monchengladbach days. :3

Reaction score
No, I am a Chelsea fan. Seeing you are Bayern - I got a date for you. 19.5.12. (Drogbaaaaaaa :D). I just set it as Dortmund because its cool. I am from Pakistan.

I hate how Bayern get whoever they want in Germany. :( They'll replace Ribery with Draxler or Reus.
High five! I am a Chelsea fan too! I support Bayern in Budesliga and Real in La Liga. Why do you hate them? Rich clubs are entitled to spend money lavishly to bring the best players in the world - emotions have little space in professional football.