• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A'Level subject combination for pursuing in Journalism?

Reaction score
Greetings to everyone,

I want your valuable opinions/suggestions in regards to subject choices. I plan on studing journalism at university level (Either Fashion Journalism or Photojournalism). I didn't have this in mind initially, as I've taken sciences in O'Levels. But now that I'm clear as to what I want to go ahead with.

I was thinking to opt for these subjects :
-Sociology
-Humanities
-Economics
-English Language
-English Literature (^Might take one of these two, or combined)
-General Paper (AS)

Please let me know what you think of this combination, also let me know if you have any relevant ideas.
Thank you so much, buddies. :)

Regards,
Shizza Jalil

Reaction score
Greetings to everyone,

I want your valuable opinions/suggestions in regards to subject choices. I plan on studing journalism at university level (Either Fashion Journalism or Photojournalism). I didn't have this in mind initially, as I've taken sciences in O'Levels. But now that I'm clear as to what I want to go ahead with.

-Sociology
-Humanities
-Economics
-English Language
-General Paper (AS)

Please let me know what you think of this combination, also let me know if you have any relevant ideas.

Regards,
Shizza Jalil
you can also consider Biology, Geography or History. If you want to become a wildlife journalist, Biology might be useful.

Reaction score
you can also consider Biology, Geography or History. If you want to become a wildlife journalist, Biology might be useful.

I agree with you. But which subjects of the 6 that I have quoted above would it be beneficial to drop? 6 already are too many for A'Levels, I'd think. Could you give me a rough subject combination, which includes Biology, Geography/History?

And again, many thanks for your reply. :)

Reaction score
I agree with you. But which subjects of the 6 that I have quoted above would it be beneficial to drop? 6 already are too many for A'Levels, I'd think. Could you give me a rough subject combination, which includes Biology, Geography/History?

And again, many thanks for your reply. :)
I really don't have much idea about Journalism. So I can't give you a proper subject combination. But I guess you should take any 5 subjects from the ones mentioned in this thread.

Reaction score
Greetings to everyone,

-Sociology
-Humanities
-Economics
-English Language
-General Paper (AS)

Regards,
Shizza Jalil
What's journalism actually?.... i mean, to the 'm'

Reaction score
Greetings to everyone,

-Sociology
-Humanities
-Economics
-English Language
-General Paper (AS)

Regards,
Shizza Jalil
I'd suggest to keep English Literature and Language as two different A Level subjects. Don't give AS either only. I'd also suggest to drop Sociology and General Paper and take Media Studies. Also, if possible, take either Geography or History . This combination will get you into any journalism field and is very flexible for your future and is very less taxing as compared to those subject combination you stated above. I'm currently in A2 and have English Literature so if you want to ask me anything, please feel free to do so.

Reaction score
Nah!To go for Journalism as ur main moto in college then the following 5 Subjects will be helpfull to u the most:
General paper(International)
Sociology
Humanities
English language (As level only)
Global perspective!
This is all u shud obt.for!may be Economics couldn't be a bad choice either!