• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

anyone taking the new english language exam?

Reaction score
Is anyone planning on doing the "english as a global language" question in paper 4? I don't have any resources for that...
Yes I intend to do that one, search for English as a Global Language by David Crystal, just read the main points/ advantages & Disadvantages not the whole book.
Or any other resource on the web to prepare something similar.

Reaction score
Does anyone have a sample answer I can look at? Maybe an answer to the sample paper or something? Just to get an idea about the expected structure and level? I don't have a mentor I can ask, so I'm just going to be shooting arrows in the dark tomorrow. I'd be grateful for any help. Thank you!

Reaction score
Does anyone have a sample answer I can look at? Maybe an answer to the sample paper or something? Just to get an idea about the expected structure and level? I don't have a mentor I can ask, so I'm just going to be shooting arrows in the dark tomorrow. I'd be grateful for any help. Thank you!
I dont have a sample answer, but in the marking scheme, they put a few points you could go along, im surely doing the language one, as you can prepare for it already, and the group one.

Reaction score
Just finished preparation for the English as a global language, and spoken language and social group questions.
I have a feeling it's not going to be too hard, and good grades could be achieved thru low gt.
Could anyone just quickly brief me on some spoken language and social groups points?

Reaction score

This is a sample answer paper for OCR. Someone mentioned earlier that CIE and OCR have same syllabus. They seem to but they go about it differently. In any case, the grade A answers are intimidating.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/138109-unit-f651-the-dynamics-of-speech-exemplar-candidate-answers.pdf

EDIT: This is also a bit helpful: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english/spokenlanguagestudy/

Last edited:
Reaction score
How much did everybody write for Q2? I wrote 6 pages, avg ~7 wpl.... I hope the examiner goes thru it all???!! :eek:

Honestly, the length doesn't matter. I read some "candidate response example" from Paper 1, and they were way shorter than most answers, but the person got an A. Pointing out that oyu know what a metaphor is 10 times is quite pointless, to be honest. You should only comment on imagery once unless the purpose of that particular one is very important

Reaction score
Hello! How was it for you all? I think the background reading helped quite a bit. I'm not too sure of what I wrote, and I was wondering if someone is willing to compare answers! Inbox me of you are, and we'll discuss the basic theories. I'd appreciate it if you were willing to, because, as I mentioned, I'm the only person taking this in my school, or as for that matter, my city. (I think).

Reaction score
Hello! How was it for you all? I think the background reading helped quite a bit. I'm not too sure of what I wrote, and I was wondering if someone is willing to compare answers! Inbox me of you are, and we'll discuss the basic theories. I'd appreciate it if you were willing to, because, as I mentioned, I'm the only person taking this in my school, or as for that matter, my city. (I think).

You're not alone. PM me your answers.

Also, everyone who had a horribad paper, say aye.