• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS & A-level private candidates question

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am from Malaysia, homeschooled and I'm a private candidate. I am in a sort of a fix. I have no GCSEs and I'm 17 this year. I've missed the last session for IGCSE this 2013 which is CIE Oct-Nov as I thought I wasn't prepared and didn't register.

I was thinking about skipping IGCSEs and going straight for A-levels.
The problem is- there is required lab work so where do I go about attaining the knowledge and skills that is required for this?

I could easily go to one of the colleges that offers the A-level programmes but I have to have atleast 5 Credits in GCSEs

I'd rather do A-level all the way rather than wait to complete my GCSEs at 18 and then having to wait for my results, which means that I'll be completing A-levels at about 20.

Age is a big deal for me.

Anyone who has done AS and A-levels as private candidates can you help me on this? Was the exams tough? The British council here is not exactly helpful or informative so I really need some advice on this. I know how the AS-level and A-level works but the system is so confusing, can anyone help explain to me in-depth? If I were a private candidate what papers do I have to take for AS and A2

Thank you.

Reaction score
Its real easy.

If you wanto go in science take Physics, Chemistry and Math.

You have to register online first for AS level only or you can also sit for full A level but that'd be hard.
Once your result is out you can register for A2.

Btw Age is just a number.

Reaction score
Its real easy.

If you wanto go in science take Physics, Chemistry and Math.

You have to register online first for AS level only or you can also sit for full A level but that'd be hard.
Once your result is out you can register for A2.

Btw Age is just a number.

Thank you for your reply. Does AS level have practical? With AS results can I enter a school to complete the A2?

Reaction score
Practical depends on subject. Chemistry Bio Physics have practical at AS level only. idk, but giving it privately or as a regular student doesn't create any difference in your knowledge.

Reaction score
Guess I'll have to stick to GCSEs and get into a school for A-levels to do practicals, but to do that I must complete O-levels first.

Thank you :) and nice avatar.

Reaction score
i need some help too :/ i need to retake phy AS as i got a C in it but the problem is that on the from they are saying that i need to send them a copy of statement of result but i haven't received it yet and tomorrow is the last date so what should i do ??

emergency help needed please

Reaction score
Send them your provisional result. Don't forget to mention your previous Cand and centre number. Just print out the net result and send them. Cheers.

Reaction score
Guys can someone please tell me if this is right. I have written CY as the option code for A2 application. Please tell me if this is okay because I have already given business studies AS in the last session may/june 2013

Please tell me what BY or CY means?

Hurry, I only have some hours

I will appreciate a lot

Thanks