• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS BIOLOGY P-33

Reaction score
Can some one please share the food test procedures and will we have a graticule scale and all that?
i rely hope this is not too messy
biuret test : add an equal amount of NaOH to a solution of the food, mix carefully.
add a few drops of 1% CuSO4, do not shake the mixture.
a PURPLE/MAUVE COLOR is a positive result: protein is present.

iodine test:
1. If the food to be tested is liquid, go to 2. If the food to be tested is solid, make an extract. Grind crush or chop a
small amount and put into a test tube to a depth of about 2cm. Add a similar amount of distilled water and stir with
a glass rod. Allow to stand for a few minutes.
2. Draw up some of the clear liquid into a pipette and then either transfer it into another test tube or put drops onto
a white tile.
3. Add on drop of (brown) iodine solution on the tile and look for a color change. A blue-black color indicates
the presence of starch.

benedicts' test :for reducing sugar

. Addabout 5cm3of the reagent to a small amount of sample in a testtube.
.Stand the test tube in boiling water for a few minutes.

A colour change through green to yellow, brown and finally to red indicates the presenceof reducingsugar

for non reducing sugar :
01.If the sample isn't already in liquid form grind it up in water.
2. Add 2cm3(cubed) of the food sample to a test tube with 2cm of benedict's reagent
3. gently) boil in a water bath for 5 mins
4. If a NON-REDUCING sugar is present then the solution will remains BLUE
5. In this case another 2cm3 of the food sample to 2cm3 of (dilute) hydrochloric acid in a test tube(as the hydrochloric acid hydrolyzes the disaccharide into its monomer constituents .i.e. sucrose --> glucose + fructose)
6. (Slowly) add sodium hydrogencarbonate to the test tube(to neutralise the hydrochloric acid as Benedict's reagent can't work in acidic conditions)
7. Now re-test the solution by heating it with the 2cm3 of Benedict's reagent for 5 mins, this time the solution should turn from blue to orange-brown/brick red because reducing sugars are present(.i.e. glucose and fructose)due to the hydrolysis of the disaccharide (sucrose)

Reaction score
Guys the test for non- reducing sugar is, first taking the non-red sugar with benedicts and heating it in water bath for a specified time and then adding HCL and then neautralising it with sodium bicarbonate.. ? am I right
you add the acid + neutralise it BEFORE carrying Benedict's test

Reaction score
Hello. Can you guys help me distinguish between LPP and HPP diagram? I couldnt get the part where they say do not draw individual cell in LPP.
what is full form of lpp and hpp

Reaction score
Guys all we need now are the plan diagrams of Dicot stem and root.Someone please post them here.It would be much appreciated. :)

Reaction score
green -- means traces present . yellow --- low amounts ... orange --- moderate amounts ....brick red --- high amounts
yes i know this i mean when they ask us record the time for the first colour change.. so when it turns green ill record the time?

Reaction score
Somebody posted this in some other thread a few months ago..dont know who.. this might help clear many confusions regarding food tests and microscopy :)

Attachments

• Bio pactical.rar
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
Reaction score
test upon sucrose, glucose, starch and fungal amylase.
How do we test the sucrose ,glucose,starch and fungal amylase

Reaction score
guys in cell division if a cell is in prophase should we draw the chromatin threads in our low power diagram and nuclelous if we see them

Reaction score
If you are reffering to these then i must tell you these are not the "planned diagrams" .These are original images of specimens.

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 60
  • MonocotStem.gif
    MonocotStem.gif
    58.1 KB · Views: 64