• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question, what are the relative bond strengths ?
like hydrogen , ionic, disulphide bonds and hydrophobic, whats the most to least? and how do you break each one? THANK YOU ! <3

thu

Reaction score
Good luck y'all. Our last hours to freedom! (i mean if u only have this pp left, like me :D)
im off to bed with biology dreams..

Reaction score
I bet tomorrow's paper is gonna be a killer. The trend has changed since S09. Just hope for there are more repetitions in the paper :) Anyways, all the best for tomorrow's candidate !!! Me as well :p
its good to be scared but its not good to make others feel the same way, good luck 2 ;)

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with these?
View attachment 12779

View attachment 12780
^can someone please label each of the parts for me?

View attachment 12781
^why C and not B?

which component of tobacco smoke causes emphysema?

jazakallah

1) when mitosis occurs the daughter cells are smaller than the parent cell, they grow in the inter phase, so 2 and 3 are right only.
2) D are the xylem cells, thick walls..and on the inner side...
C are neither phloem nor xylem they are just there for division
A are the cells in the pith
and then B will be phloem
3) nitrifying bacteria convert ammonium ions to nitrites then nitrates....these are compounds of nitrogen so C
B are nitrogen compounds in plants, these are amino acids....which is not done by nitrifying bacteria

:)

Reaction score
1) when mitosis occurs the daughter cells are smaller than the parent cell, they grow in the inter phase, so 2 and 3 are right only.
2) D are the xylem cells, thick walls..and on the inner side...
C are neither phloem nor xylem they are just there for division
A are the cells in the pith
and then B will be phloem
3) nitrifying bacteria convert ammonium ions to nitrites then nitrates....these are compounds of nitrogen so C
B are nitrogen compounds in plants, these are amino acids....which is not done by nitrifying bacteria

:)
thanx sis but for qn 1, the ans says the only right statement is 2:/

and also the last part i asked which component of tobacco smoke causes emphysema ?
thanx again

aom

Reaction score
hmm i don't know i still feel that the answer should be all 3 : hydrogen, disulfide and peptide :/
guys its only peptide , because disulphide is between S-S so the bonding between the S's and in the pic the H is on the outside... so it can't form disulphide

Reaction score
Water is like a government soldier it comes in to cells and leaves as it likes to ... in a turgid plant cell it is practically 'full' of government soldiers so no room for extra soldiers so the soldiers are RESTRICTED to enter the cell. But at first the water enters the cell through cell wall so cell wall is permeable to water.
But in an animal cell no cell wall for water keeps entering the cell till it bursts :/

In your second choice without Hcl the colour is orange but with HcL the colour is green. In order of increasing intensity of reducing sugar in a solution orange shows a higher intensity of reducing sugar. So since after boiling the intensity actually reduces ( from orange to green) it cannot be a non- reducing sugar. If a non-reducing sugar was present the colour would be brick-red becuse more reducing sugar will e available.
Thank-you Mr. Government Soldier for a cool explanation. :D

Reaction score
oops my bad, semi conservative replication has nothing to do with mitosis, it occurs in the interphase..
thanx but again i have a qn if u don't mind what exactly is nuclear division and how is it different from mitosis?:unsure:

Reaction score
like hydrogen , ionic, disulphide bonds and hydrophobic, whats the most to least? and how do you break each one? THANK YOU ! <3

Reaction score
thanx but again i have a qn if u don't mind what exactly is nuclear division and how is it different from mitosis?:unsure:

Nuclear division is a general term, basically the dividing of the nucleus. It can either be my mitosis or meiosis (reduction division)

Reaction score
Nuclear division is a general term, basically the dividing of the nucleus. It can either be my mitosis or meiosis (reduction division)
tx and sorry for the weird qn, i am just gettin messed up and panicked:notworthy::cry:

Reaction score
i believe it's disulphide, ionic, hydrophobic then hydrogen , confirmed by confused123