• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

Boo

Reaction score
Tidal volume is the amount of air breathed in and out normally. As you can see in the first thirty seconds of the graph the tidal volume is at a constant 500 cm3. As for the Vital capacity - it is the maximum amount of air breathed out so if you count the number of squares for the large exhalation bit it would be 14.5 square. Since each 4 squares are 1000 cm3 that would equal to roughly (1000 + 1000 + 1000 + 500 + 250) which is 3750 cm3 :)
Thank you!

Reaction score
4 - when the water potential of the sucrose is the same as the water potential of the cell sap, there will no change in the size of the strip due to no net exchange of water molecules. which means, that the length before (x1) is the same as the length after the 3 mins (x2), x1 = x2. therefore, if we calculate the ratio for this, x1/x2 = 1 . for a ratio of 1 from the graph the concentration is 0.45, which is the answer

6 - they say they need such vacuoles, to expel water, which would mean that the water potential in the animal cells would be lower compared to the surrounding water, so excess water would enter and it would have to be removed. why would plants not need it? A is the same case as the animal cells, and B is wrong. so eliminate those. and C is the one which makes sense, because if the water potential is the same inside and outside, there will be no net gain or loss of water from the cell vacuole, which is why fresh water plants would not require such vacuoles.

14 - if the enzyme is denatured at 50. it would take the most time for the reaction to be completed, so A and B are rejected. from C and D the graph is taking the longest time at 50 so thats the answer. It cannot be D, because 50 is the temp at which the enzyme activity is zero, the curve cannot go beyond it

19 - when 100% N15 DNA is mixed with N14, in each generation the number of pure N15 DNA becomes half. (curce C). this is because when the N15 DNA is mixed with N14. one strand of the N15 DNA will bind with N15, and one will bind with N14. so there will be 50% N15 DNA left, this process is repeated each time...

20 - during transcription DNA is made into mRNA using transcriptase enzyme, so when RNA is extracted from the beta cells, it has to be converted back to DNA, so reverse transcriptase is used...

hope that helps!

Reaction score

q11 - It must be A, because as said in the question there is an efficiency of 10% of energy transfer. You begin with 1300 so for the zooplankton you have to do (1300 * 0.1 * 0.1 which is 13 or 1.3 * 10^1) To get the tuna you must multiply the 13 two more times (13 * 0.1 * 0.1 = 0.13 or 1.3 * 10^-1)

q13 - This one is a bit difficult, and you must know how to calibrate an EPG and SM. Each division is 0.1mm and there are 40 EPG units in each 0.1mm, which means each one EPG is equal to 0.0025 mm. The radius of the circle is 50 EPG units, so 50 * 0.0025 = 0.125mm. The question clearly needs it in micrometers so 0.125 mm = 125 micrometers. To find the area of a circle you do πr^2 so that is π * 125 * 125 which is C

q35 - A is clearly out, because although a primary and secondary response occurred for antigen X, there was NO secondary response for antigen Y because it was the first exposure to this antigen (It is a primary response). B is also wrong because memory B lymphocytes against antigen Y are different for antigen X. C is correct because the memory cells enabled a secondary response in the second exposure to X, and different lymphocyte cells were produced for Y. D is incorrect because the memory cells cannot produce antibodies that work on both antigens X and Y.

q38 - A is incorrect, because the semi lunar valve connects the aorta to the left ventricle not the left atrium. It shouldn't have affected the Bicuspid valve at all in the first place. B is also wrong because blood won't leak out of the ventricle during relaxation if the semi lunar valve is open a bit. C is wrong because it should have an opposite effect to what they state. Due to the hole, blood would leak backwards into the right ventricle during systole, so as a result the walls of the ventricle will thicken and work harder to keep blood flowing through the aorta, which makes D the correct answer.

q39 - Flow of current through atrium means Atrium systole, which means pressure will increase SLIGHTLY. Therefore it must mean P. recovery of the ventricular walls means diastole which means the ventricle would be filling up with blood which is during an atrial systole which is T. So the answer would be B - P & T.

I hope this made sense to you :)

Reaction score
q11 - It must be A, because as said in the question there is an efficiency of 10% of energy transfer. You begin with 1300 so for the zooplankton you have to do (1300 * 0.1 * 0.1 which is 13 or 1.3 * 10^1) To get the tuna you must multiply the 13 two more times (13 * 0.1 * 0.1 = 0.13 or 1.3 * 10^-1)

q13 - This one is a bit difficult, and you must know how to calibrate an EPG and SM. Each division is 0.1mm and there are 40 EPG units in each 0.1mm, which means each one EPG is equal to 0.0025 mm. The radius of the circle is 50 EPG units, so 50 * 0.0025 = 0.125mm. The question clearly needs it in micrometers so 0.125 mm = 125 micrometers. To find the area of a circle you do πr^2 so that is π * 125 * 125 which is C

q35 - A is clearly out, because although a primary and secondary response occurred for antigen X, there was NO secondary response for antigen Y because it was the first exposure to this antigen (It is a primary response). B is also wrong because memory B lymphocytes against antigen Y are different for antigen X. C is correct because the memory cells enabled a secondary response in the second exposure to X, and different lymphocyte cells were produced for Y. D is incorrect because the memory cells cannot produce antibodies that work on both antigens X and Y.

q38 - A is incorrect, because the semi lunar valve connects the aorta to the left ventricle not the left atrium. It shouldn't have affected the Bicuspid valve at all in the first place. B is also wrong because blood won't leak out of the ventricle during relaxation if the semi lunar valve is open a bit. C is wrong because it should have an opposite effect to what they state. Due to the hole, blood would leak backwards into the right ventricle during systole, so as a result the walls of the ventricle will thicken and work harder to keep blood flowing through the aorta, which makes D the correct answer.

q39 - Flow of current through atrium means Atrium systole, which means pressure will increase SLIGHTLY. Therefore it must mean P. recovery of the ventricular walls means diastole which means the ventricle would be filling up with blood which is during an atrial systole which is T. So the answer would be B - P & T.

I hope this made sense to you :)

thankssssssssssssssssssssssssss alottt :) but i dnt khow why i am not able to understand question num 13 and 15 :( well thats my mistake thank u ;) i will need ur help in so many of my pprs :LOL:

Reaction score
thankssssssssssssssssssssssssss alottt :) but i dnt khow why i am not able to understand question num 13 and 15 :( well thats my mistake thank u ;) i will need ur help in so many of my pprs :LOL:

Try googling 'How to calibrate SM and EPG'. There was one website that explained it very well, but unfortunately I have forgotten the name :/ If you need any help, just ask me. I've solved all the papers from Nov 2002 - 2012.

Reaction score

q7 - Sucrose is made up of Fructose and alpha glucose. I cannot really explain this question, as you have to memorise the structures of those substances. Fructose is 3 and alpha glucose is 1 so the answer is B

q21 - These questions are usually confusing, so I remember it best as (tRNA is the same code as DNA but U is replaced with T) and (mRNA is the same as the sequence on the amino-acid itself) so since the sequence of tRNA is CUU-UUA-UGG-GGA, then the sequence of DNA would be CTT-TTA-TGG-GGA which is C

q30 - The answer is obviously B because as sucrose concentration decreases in the leaf, it decreases in the phloem and vise versa. While A is true, it is not what the question is asking for, as you cannot tell from the graph that water moves by osmosis into the phloem (water isn't mentioned at all!). C is the same as A, it is true, but you can't tell from the graph if sucrose moves in both directions. D - there is no mention of xylem on the graph so you can't tell if it's true or not.

q32 - You have to memorise these as well from the biology book. Trachea would be largest, then the bronchus, then bronchioles then the alveoli. Trachea is 18mm, Bronchus is 12mm, bronchioles are 0.50 mm, and finally alveoli are 0.25mm. Answer would be A

Reaction score
q7 - Sucrose is made up of Fructose and alpha glucose. I cannot really explain this question, as you have to memorise the structures of those substances. Fructose is 3 and alpha glucose is 1 so the answer is B

q21 - These questions are usually confusing, so I remember it best as (tRNA is the same code as DNA but U is replaced with T) and (mRNA is the same as the sequence on the amino-acid itself) so since the sequence of tRNA is CUU-UUA-UGG-GGA, then the sequence of DNA would be CTT-TTA-TGG-GGA which is C

q30 - The answer is obviously B because as sucrose concentration decreases in the leaf, it decreases in the phloem and vise versa. While A is true, it is not what the question is asking for, as you cannot tell from the graph that water moves by osmosis into the phloem (water isn't mentioned at all!). C is the same as A, it is true, but you can't tell from the graph if sucrose moves in both directions. D - there is no mention of xylem on the graph so you can't tell if it's true or not.

q32 - You have to memorise these as well from the biology book. Trachea would be largest, then the bronchus, then bronchioles then the alveoli. Trachea is 18mm, Bronchus is 12mm, bronchioles are 0.50 mm, and finally alveoli are 0.25mm. Answer would be A

thyank u so much :X3: i will ask ma doubts from other papers tomorow bcz i have not solved them yet :oops: well thankss :)

Reaction score
paper 1 biology is horrible ! i lose so much marks in it and idk wut to do ! no matter how much i practice

Reaction score
Reaction score
if cholestrol makes cell surface membrane more fluid than what component of membrane reduces its fluidity