• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P34 Guesses

Reaction score
Least count of ruler: 0.1 cm = 1 mm
Minimum error (uncertainty) of ruler therefore is 0.1/2 = 0.05 cm or 0.5 mm
To find percentage uncertainty of the measurement taken by a ruler, depending on how many times u have taken a measurement, add the uncertainty (0.05) and divide the total uncertainty by the amount measured.

Reaction score
Least count of ruler: 0.1 cm = 1 mm
Minimum error (uncertainty) of ruler therefore is 0.1/2 = 0.05 cm or 0.5 mm
To find percentage uncertainty of the measurement taken by a ruler, depending on how many times u have taken a measurement, add the uncertainty (0.05) and divide the total uncertainty by the amount measured.
minimum error is 0.1mm ..why the marking scheme says 1.0mm 0r 5 % ?? why not 0.5mm ??

Reaction score
minimum error is 0.1mm ..why the marking scheme says 1.0mm 0r 5 % ?? why not 0.5mm ??

because for scales, you take two readings and subtract them to get a measurement. hence, when compounded, the error becomes 0.5+0.5=1mm.

Reaction score
I'm sorry. I don't get the question. are we measuring the actual thickness using a microscope or the figure? o_O What is the transparent ruler they are referring to?

is there any difference in the uncertainity in the ruler if we use it to measure figure or in the microscope ??

Reaction score
is there any difference in the uncertainity in the ruler if we use it to measure figure or in the microscope ??

How can we friggin' use a standard plastic ruler with a microscope? There must have been another 'transparent ruler' that they are talking about.

Reaction score

How can we friggin' use a standard plastic ruler with a microscope? There must have been another 'transparent ruler' that they are talking about.

Reaction score
perhaps ! ...if we measure a figure with a mm ruler den wats da uncertanity ? o.5 mm or 1.0 ??

Reaction score
That's what I also said, but according to common sense, you do as follows:
Find the least count of the measuring device you're using, half of the least count is the minimum (1 measurement) uncertainty of that device.
Leave the rest for CIE :D

Reaction score
perhaps ! ...if we measure a figure with a mm ruler den wats da uncertanity ? o.5 mm or 1.0 ??

Red, in measuring depth we can obviously not measure from the zero mark so there'll probably be an error at both ends. I don't know. Sorry. :(