• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry P2 Prep.

Reaction score
in preparation of alkenes ..when alcohols or alkyl halides are converted into alkenes..the rxn is an elimination reaction??

Reaction score
when 50cm^3 of a hydrocarbon Y is burnt it reacts with exactly 300 cm^3 of oxygen to form 200 cm^3 of C02. water is also formed. deduce the equation for this reaction. answer: C4H8 + 6O2 → 4CO2 + 4H2O..please tell the how to work this one out..its frm chemistry coursebook.
Remember the equation :
CxHy + x+0.25yO2 gives XCO2 + 0.5H2O
you can see that to get the question in this form you have to simplify the moles of the hydrocarbon to 1.
So 50(hydrocarbon), 300 (Oxygen), 200( Carbon Dioxide)..simplifying the hydrocarbon to 1:
1 (hydrocarbon) 6(oxygen), 4 (Carbon Dioxide)
So moles of CO2 as in above equation is the value of X.
So X =4
Moles of O2 are = x+0.25y
4+0.25y=6
gives you y=8
So CxHy becomes C4H8..thats how i do it :D easy way..just remember to simplify the hydrocarbon volume/moles to 1 and then compare according to the equation.

Reaction score
Hey... Anyone can tell me when only do we need to use pencil in doing chem paper 2? Drawing graphs etc or?

Reaction score
guys..can we have some chem discussion now? :p please answer my question that i"ve posted above!!

Reaction score
in preparation of alkenes ..when alcohols or alkyl halides are converted into alkenes..the rxn is an elimination reaction??
When alcohols are converted into alkenes then reaction is dehydration, but when alkyl halides are converted into alkenes, that is elimination. Don't mix up the names. These are two different reactions. If you will name dehydration one an elimination reaction, then the examiner won't give u marks, so be careful.

Reaction score
When alcohols are converted into alkenes then reaction is dehydration, but when alkyl halides are converted into alkenes, that is elimination. Don't mix up the names. These are two different reactions. If you will name dehydration one an elimination reaction, then the examiner won't give u marks, so be careful.
Wow... you are right. Good thinking. :)

Reaction score
but elemination can refer to both H20 as well as HCl removal