• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Components' effect on Alevel result

Reaction score
I know there's been other threads about this but nobody really gave a clear answer. My components for AS Biology were :
P1: A
P2: A
P3: B
This gave me an overall A for AS. The question is, can I still get an A* in Alevel Biology? And if it's possible, will it really be that much more difficult for me to get an A* than other kids with high As? Or is it an insignificant difference? Help! Thanks

Reaction score
Insignificant. All you need to do now for an A* is to get an overall A at A2 level i.e A in both p4 and p5

Reaction score
No. As long as you read each and every examiner report for the past 5 years carefully for each and every qst you will get the grades. The deal is, exam technique matters more than having a lot of information. That's where ppl tend to lose marks, A level marking is specific, a correct point can lose marks if written imprecisely. So, examiner reports are the key !

Reaction score
No. As long as you read each and every examiner report for the past 5 years carefully for each and every qst you will get the grades. The deal is, exam technique matters more than having a lot of information. That's where ppl tend to lose marks, A level marking is specific, a correct point can lose marks if written imprecisely. So, examiner reports are the key !
I hope that will not be a problem, I have a whole year and nothing but Biology A2 to study. I think that's enough time right?

Reaction score
No these lines are straight from the CIE grading guide released on their website in 2010 when A* was introduced.

Reactions: N.M