• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Language and Literature in English (8695) - privately?

Reaction score
Having just got done with my O levels, I am now in the process of selecting A level subjects, and keeping major subjects aside, I want to talk about English.
I got 5 As and 3 A*s in my O levels- with an A* in English- and reading and writing being some of my major passions in life, I don't want to drop this subject.
I've looked through my options (English Literature, English Language, and Language and Literature in English) and the one that seems the most appealing- and practical- is the last one.
But here's the main issue:
No school in Lahore is offering AS Language and Literature. (as far as I know)
And the fact that I've never heard of anyone ever giving this paper isn't exactly reassuring for me either.
BUT let me mention that I have seen it be listed as one of the subjects being offered in various branches of Beaconhouse Karachi, so I'm holding on to the fact that at least some of you or your friends have studied it, and if so, could you please just let me know about it as a subject in general? Like the difficulty level and such, and how much is it actually worth..?
More importantly, how sensible a decision is it to take it privately? Let me mention here that my O Level teacher told me to expect a distinction in English and definitely go for English Literature in A level. (Not meaning to brag. That would be kind of useless anyway, being anonymous and all..)
And why am I not taking her advice? Well, lack of confidence and time-management skills would be an appropriate excuse.
Which is really something of concern if I plan on studying privately.
Which brings us here.
Does anyone know of any good tutors/ academy in Lahore for AS Language and Literature in English? Or any schools that offer it?

It would mean the world to me if any one of you could answer my queries. Pleeease reply if you can help in any way possible.

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Don't go for Lit and Language OR Lit (unless you want to pursue a career in teaching).
Don't go for General either.

If you're hellbent on going for an English subject, the only subject worthy of keeping is English Language. If you think you can handle it, good enough. If not, drop it later!

What are the rest of your subjects?

Reaction score
All I have to say is.... Thank you. I don't know how checking the past papers for Language slipped my mind when I checked all other subjects', and now I feel stupid about it.. But seriously, thank you! The main part that pulled me towards Language and Lit. was the composition paper, because that is the sort of stuff I used to write during my O levels too. The Lit. part was just an added something. I had previously just gone through the language syllabus, and frankly the syllabus can make anything sound boring.
So basically, yeah, I'll definitely go for Language. It even somewhat solves the problem of no formal school classes being offered, since I can probably- hopefully-manage on my own with some guidance for someone now and then.

As for the rest of the subjects, I'm leaning towards Maths and Economics as the major ones, and considering Accounting as the third. I know that Accounting is not considered a particularly.. valuable A level, but I'm interested in going towards accounting/ finance at uni level (even though an Accounting A level isn't required) so I want to familiarise myself with the subject. See how I like it.

Reaction score
Lit helps you think broadly and would provide you with indispensable skills. But without a teacher those skills cannot be attained.

Reaction score
Lit helps you think broadly and would provide you with indispensable skills. But without a teacher those skills cannot be attained.
Yes, I agree with that. But I'm worried about not being able to cope with all the syllabus along with my other subjects if I do choose Lit. My school does offer Lit so the teacher part is not a problem, but choosing Language would give me a bit more.. freedom. Especially since reading is something I prefer doing of my own accord. Having a certain genre or work forced upon me would kind of ruin it for me. Writing is more liberating. According to me, that is.

All the same, thanks for commenting. :)

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with that. But I'm worried about not being able to cope with all the syllabus along with my other subjects if I do choose Lit. My school does offer Lit so the teacher part is not a problem, but choosing Language would give me a bit more.. freedom. Especially since reading is something I prefer doing of my own accord. Having a certain genre or work forced upon me would kind of ruin it for me. Writing is more liberating. According to me, that is.

All the same, thanks for commenting. :)

Since Lit is offered at your instituition, I'll suggest going for it. Nothing beats scheduled study. I've said this countless times before and I'll say it again. If you have the aptitude for it and if reading is something you'll enjoy, go for it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd have opted for Lit here w/o thinking twice about Language. Having a teacher at school + having scheduled classes cannot be compared to self-study for a subject that is a massive leap over O Level Lang.