• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Level Chemistry help needed urgent

Reaction score
Hi. So I'm basically struggling a lot with A level Chemistry. In my first class assessment, I ended up with a C. Also, my concepts are weak till now and I'm thinking if starting from the beginning again.
So, I wanted some useful tips. Should I use only the Roger Norris book or also the Hodder one by Peter Cann? And should I start making my own notes? Or are there any other notes that you will suggest? And how should I improve overall?

Reaction score
Hi. So I'm basically struggling a lot with A level Chemistry. In my first class assessment, I ended up with a C. Also, my concepts are weak till now and I'm thinking if starting from the beginning again.
So, I wanted some useful tips. Should I use only the Roger Norris book or also the Hodder one by Peter Cann? And should I start making my own notes? Or are there any other notes that you will suggest? And how should I improve overall?

first of all start by watching videos to get your head around the concept- I would recommend 'snaprevise', 'the organic chemistry tutor' and 'allery chemistry' on youtube. they are helpful. take notes while you watch the videos. then read your textbook in and out and make notes. and when you are done reading your textbook, reread your notes again and again. then solve the end of chapter questions and see if you can solve them and to check whether your answer is correct go to sladder.com it has all the answers for all the textbooks.

lastly, go read your specification and see if you have learnt everything they expect you to know (trust me this helps)

and this site called chem guide also has great notes. but I think if you make your own it will be better.

and this site called mathsmadeeasy.co.uk ( it's for all subjects, don't get confused) that has topical questions... they are not the most advanced questions but they help you get started...

but do all of this through spaced repetition... don't cram! trust me it won't help!

if you don't know what that is, watch a video on it...

thank you for coming to my ted talk! :)

Reaction score

Hello, I hope you find my think-aloud video tutorials sorted out by A Level topics helpful. Browse through the channel for MCQ, practical experiment tutorials, planning/design tutorials as well, but I guess if you are struggling, perhaps start with the topical stuff first.

If you find them useful, do subscribe and share with friends, class chat groups, seniors/juniors from school, teachers, etc, please. Cheers.

The channel is www.youtube.com/c/ptetchemistry

The individual topical playlists as shortened are shown below,
1) AS - Mole concept and stoichiometry calculations

shorturl.at/iEGT7

2) AS - Atomic structure (including ionisation energy, atomic and ionic radii)

shorturl.at/blzX7

3) AS -Chemical structure and bonding (including intermolecular forces)

shorturl.at/cdfls

4) AS - States of matter (including the gas laws)

shorturl.at/eoxzM

5) AS - Chemical energetics (thermodynamics - enthalpy changes)

shorturl.at/mqDL9

6) AS - Redox changes (oxidation numbers)

shorturl.at/jFHNW

7) AS - Reaction kinetics (qualitative Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution)

shorturl.at/lwCW8

8) AS - Chemical equilibria (Le Chatelier, equilibrium constants)

shorturl.at/ntvP6

9) AS - 9.1 - General periodicity

shorturl.at/pIKT6

10) AS - 9.2 - Group 2 chemistry (qualitative trends, reactions)

shorturl.at/uDGZ7

11) AS - 9.3 - Group 17 chemistry

shorturl.at/pAWY8

12) AS - 9.4 - Nitrogen and sulfur chemistry

shorturl.at/nvJMP

13) AS - 10.1 - Introductory organic chemistry (isomerism, naming, reaction types)

shorturl.at/tzBI6

14) AS - 10.2 - Hydrocarbons (alkanes and alkenes)

shorturl.at/bBNX3

15) AS - 10.3 - Addition polymerisation

shorturl.at/fkvD4

16) AS - 10.4 - Alcohols

shorturl.at/hmABZ

17) AS - 10.5 - Halogenoalkanes

shorturl.at/hjCKV

18) AS - 10.6 - Carbonyl compounds (aldehydes and ketones)

shorturl.at/pqBEO

19) AS - 10.7 - Carboxylic acids and its derivatives

shorturl.at/gjkuM

20) AS - 10.8 - Simple organic nitrogen compounds (amines)

shorturl.at/efjmL

21) AS - infra-red spectroscopy

shorturl.at/xAFKQ

22) A2 - energetics (entropy, Gibbs, feasibility)

shorturl.at/mtS19

23) A2 - reactions kinetics (orders, rate determining step, etc)

shorturl.at/hkCX0

24) A2 - transition metals

shorturl.at/lwHW4

25) A2 - redox chemistry (advanced electrochemistry, cell potential, etc)

shorturl.at/exzAV

26) A2 - Group 2 (thermal stability and solubility essays)

shorturl.at/juyzV

27) A2 - ionic equilibrium (acids, bases, Kw, Kpc, Ksp)

shorturl.at/kpD04

28) A2 - aromatic chemistry (benzene and its derivatives)

shorturl.at/noKNU

29) A2 - halogenoarenes

shorturl.at/nzBV0

30) A2 - phenols

shorturl.at/ayzB2

31) A2 - phenylamines and amides

shorturl.at/zDFLQ

32) A2 - Comparing relative acidities and basicities of organic compounds

shorturl.at/mxD18

33) A2 - amino acids and proteins (including electrophoresis)

shorturl.at/tvBWY

34) A2 - polymerisation

shorturl.at/cCDW8

35) A2 - analytical chemistry (NMR, mass spec, chromatography)

shorturl.at/ovw12